Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Oct 1, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #6,526 of 7,484
It's a love letter to tube rolling and a suicide letter to your wallet. But you are lucky to use mostly unknown types and this will help you a lot. I will definitely go to the 12.6V path on my next amplifier.
Plus, I feel a moral obligation to leave the best kt88, el34, and 6l6gc for guitar players:)

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #6,527 of 7,484
The OT transformers are rated at 30watts down to something ridiculous like 5hz. In theory they could do a lot more at normal musical frequencies. In the end, the power supply will limit the maximum power. Well, that and my ears lol. While I expect to be able to get something like 30 watts from GU50, KT88 and the like. In reality I really only need a handful of watts And so will never need that much. On the other hand, maybe now I’ll finally have enough power to get a pair of LS3/5A monitors with their 83db sensitivity…

Depends on how loud you listen but Oblivion and Odyssey are driving my Axis Voicebox S (5 ohms and 83dB) in nearfield listening. Would love to try efficient Ascension speakers one day though.

https://www.adelaidespeakers.com/

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #6,528 of 7,484
Plus, I feel a moral obligation to leave the best kt88, el34, and 6l6gc for guitar players:)
One of the reasons I started to love these were the guitar players but I care only about mr. Tony Iommi. If he writes me he needs a pair of tubes I'll help him, otherwise... LOL

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #6,529 of 7,484
Yeah, no one has dared to take the plunge for the Odyssey. The oblivion and telly are getting most interest as someone made the first order for everyone else to demo.

You're missing out on the best sounding SET amp imho. My friend who has heard it several times agree. The way Susvara sound from Odyssey is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm more important than guitar players. :) The reason Odyssey sound so special is because of the NOS tubes I've collected. I won't spend on tubes in this manner again. Listening to the Philips Miniwatts EL34 metal base now and they are sinfully good.

They are shown here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tube-rolling-thread-ultrasonic-studios.953317/post-17172783

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #6,530 of 7,484
You're missing out on the best sounding SET amp imho. My friend who has heard it several times agree. The way Susvara sound from Odyssey is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm more important than guitar players. :) The reason Odyssey sound so special is because of the NOS tubes I've collected. I won't spend on tubes in this manner again. Listening to the Philips Miniwatts EL34 metal base now and they are sinfully good.

They are shown here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tube-rolling-thread-ultrasonic-studios.953317/post-17172783
No question, you have the best that ever was in your collection. On the other hand, since I don't need the power I feel like mining the lower power tubes can result in excellent sound. One of the advantages of push pull is that I can use tubes like the 6aq5 or maybe even kt61 and still have enough power.

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #6,531 of 7,484

Yeah it's just a minor case of the herd mentality here. But you're not wrong, the Sus does benefit from the extra tube colouration based on experimenting with Tube vs. SS PSU. The Odyssey would provide more of that tube magic that can make the Sus sound very special.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #6,532 of 7,484
Yeah it's just a minor case of the herd mentality here. But you're not wrong, the Sus does benefit from the extra tube colouration based on experimenting with Tube vs. SS PSU. The Odyssey would provide more of that tube magic that can make the Sus sound very special.

The 64 million question is, how will Susvara sound from Telemachus. An expensive way to find out by getting the amp. I could have just flown to your home.

Do me a favor. Try out Susvara with Telemachus and let me know what you think.

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #6,533 of 7,484
No question, you have the best that ever was in your collection. On the other hand, since I don't need the power I feel like mining the lower power tubes can result in excellent sound. One of the advantages of push pull is that I can use tubes like the 6aq5 or maybe even kt61 and still have enough power.

A quad of GU50 would be interesting in your amp. :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #6,534 of 7,484
The 64 million question is, how will Susvara sound from Telemachus. An expensive way to find out by getting the amp. I could have just flown to your home.

Do me a favor. Try out Susvara with Telemachus and let me know what you think.

I'm not familiar with the headphone enough to answer the question. @TheMiddleSky spent some time with tele + susvara before I arrived. Perhaps he can weigh in.

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #6,537 of 7,484

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back