Objectivists board room
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #4,517 of 4,545

I keep reading posts that remind me of this video. It won't take much effort for you guys to see a parallel between what she discusses and the typical communication problems we encounter on the forum.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #4,518 of 4,545
The question is, do they actually believe it, or are they just arguing to validate an unsupportable position? ...whether because of ego, or just to stir the pot.

Sep 13, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #4,519 of 4,545
The question is, do they actually believe it, or are they just arguing to validate an unsupportable position? ...whether because of ego, or just to stir the pot.
They truly believe it. At least most of them. Marketing is a pretty strong force that influences our own beliefs.

Sep 13, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #4,520 of 4,545
I sorta think ego and not being able to admit you’re wrong is even more powerful than advertising. The giveaway is when they refuse to put it to a test. They know they would fail, and they just don’t want to admit it.

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #4,522 of 4,545
A couple new things I did to my listening room have me a bit excited. I got some additional foam in places to help block reflections for mid/high frequencies. Had some already, but not nearly enough. I only have a single seating position to deal with, so I don't need to go too crazy. What is really cool is that when I clap my hands loudly, I don't hear any echo at all. It is dead. The difference before and after is quite significant. I'm going to have to remeasure the room again and set my EQ accordingly.

Something I noticed a few months ago, and another small change that made a significant difference was to open up the corners and middle of the back of the room...by leaving the doors open. That's it. By opening the doors to the room, that bass null that was impossible to correct was reduced to a third of what it was before.

The room is still fundamentally terrible and too small, but today it is much better than it was before. Bass is really tough to correct without the right room to begin with, but the highs and most mids can be tamed quite a bit with foam and EQ.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #4,523 of 4,545
Very cool. Now you have a good excuse to listen to a whole lot of music!

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #4,524 of 4,545

People doing something because those around them do it, and people feeling something because those around them claim to feel it. I really don t know why but I somehow thought about our hobby for no particular reason.

:deadhorse:

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #4,525 of 4,545
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #4,526 of 4,545
Very interesting phenomenon. Kind of self evident if I think about it, it’s just a matter of putting a few clear behaviors together, except I never did think about it. I always assumed that it was simple misrepresentation with few very vocal people making the silent majority feel like it’s the majority talking(mistaking presence and numbers), but I never considered the ramifications and how very logically it would lead many people to directly go against their own beliefs for the sake of trying to fit in. Scary.

I like that podcast but often give up because it doesn’t readily offer to speed up the audio. I’m fine with an hour and a half of talking, but only if takes less than an hour :smile_cat:

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #4,528 of 4,545
She's really cute.

When I worked with her, we asked her about her tattoo. She told us that she got it in prison! Apparently in Iceland, there are no tattoo parlors. The only place you can get one is in prison. She found a prisoner who was convicted of some horrible crime and was in for a very long time, who would give her a tattoo if she paid money into his prison account and then came to see him on visiting day. So that's what she did.

She is a tiny little lady, but she is as brave as a lion. She also told us about a time when a reporter kept getting in her and her child's face. She saw the reporter in an airport and lost it and tore her apart. We put a scene like that in the video we made for her. She said that the video made her "feel like Christmas"

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #4,529 of 4,545
When I worked with her, we asked her about her tattoo. She told us that she got it in prison! Apparently in Iceland, there are no tattoo parlors. The only place you can get one is in prison. She found a prisoner who was convicted of some horrible crime and was in for a very long time, who would give her a tattoo if she paid money into his prison account and then came to see him on visiting day. So that's what she did.

Looks like she might be as creative with her stories as with her music:

https://gudmundsdottirbjork.blogspot.com/2015/01/bjork-little-star-tattoo.html?m=1

https://bjorkzine.blogspot.com/2006/08/proliferation-of-bjrks-tattoo-part-one.html?m=1

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #4,530 of 4,545
She must have a story about it for every different person who asks! I like the story she told me best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back