Objectivists board room
Apr 23, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #4,501 of 4,545
Should I count my blessings that my digital playback chain has always been about this complicated and hasn't crashed into a smoking heap in a decade? :D

I envy that. @-@

All I am capable of is throw those crossfeed files of yours into EqualizerAPO and hope a Windows update won't mess up everything. ;-;

Upload it to Napster as Despacito.mp3 :no_mouth:

"Hey Google, play some disappointing music."

"Alright, Despacito by Luis Fonsi. Here it is on Spotify. :p "

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #4,503 of 4,545
@joebloggs ... philosophically I disagree with having any kind of dynamics processing on your playback setup. But I admire your tenacity in building such a monstrosity anyway. :)

Is this for a surround system?
Yep, and if your music comes in stereo it'd cudgel them into surround in my own way :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 26, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #4,504 of 4,545
Should I count my blessings that my digital playback chain has always been about this complicated and hasn't crashed into a smoking heap in a decade? :D
That's nothing. I have two subwoofers. :kissing:

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #4,505 of 4,545
I have two pup woofers!

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #4,506 of 4,545
I have a single speaker on each of my 4 cellphones and a Google Home Mini that I'm planning to give to my parents after adding a 3.5mm jack to it.

Get on my level. :3

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #4,507 of 4,545
FR-CE_21-7-15_Audio-userguide-time_chart.jpg

Found this little beauty on Amazon.fr, as a general guide "explaining" what hi-res audio is.:rage::rage::rage:

And here is the google translate version of the best part of what goes with the pictures. I just learned so much reading this, that I decided to share it with you.
Enjoy!

How can Hi-Res sound deliver such quality?

Hi-Res sound offers better sound quality thanks to a higher sampling rate and much higher resolution. Sampling rate and resolution being the 2 components most impacting on sound quality.
The sampling rate is the number of samples of an audio signal per second. The higher this rate, the more the details and subtle nuances are emphasized. We are getting closer to a 3D experience, as if the scene were right in front of us. As for the resolution, it corresponds to the number of data or information contained in each sample. The more data you have in a sample, the more dynamic the sound range. The music can therefore be played more or less loudly. Better resolution also allows you to hear more details when the volume is minimum or maximum. The volume no longer needs to be full to hear the full potential of the music you listen to unlike most digital files. With these 2 components combined, a high sampling rate and good resolution, the sound produced is more realistic and richer, the bass is deeper and the treble is clearer.
Above, Hi-Res sound was described as "superior" in terms of quality to sound from a CD. The CDs have a quality of 16-bit / 44.1kHz (resolution / sampling rate). In comparison, the lowest sound quality of a Hi-Res file corresponds to a resolution of 24-bit / 88.2kHz. Just as MP3 files had varying qualities, Hi-Res audio files vary in resolution: 24-bit / 88.2kHz, 24-bit- / 96kHz, 24-bit / 176.4kHz and 24-bit / 192kHz with a different format for each resolution (AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, and DSD). However, the Mp3 files being of lower quality than our old CDs, the fine music lovers will without regret forget their MP3 files for Hi-Res audio files. That said, the sound quality also depends on the audio systems used to listen to music.
So discover below the products that will allow you to listen to your Hi-Res audio files.

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #4,509 of 4,545
FR-CE_21-7-15_Audio-userguide-time_chart.jpg

Found this little beauty on Amazon.fr, as a general guide "explaining" what hi-res audio is.:rage::rage::rage:

And here is the google translate version of the best part of what goes with the pictures. I just learned so much reading this, that I decided to share it with you.
Enjoy!
There are 2 types of audiophiles in the world: those who understand math and those who don't.

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #4,510 of 4,545
Jan 13, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #4,512 of 4,545
The thing we need to mention here, as a logical and smooth extension and dramatically appropriate segue when viewed in the context of the immediately preceding posts, is that we are getting stronger chess engines, coming out now, some free, some not (including one called "Fat Fritz"), but that in order order to use them to their higher potential you need one of the new RTX video cards because the newfangled chess engines need to use the RTX real time ray tracing calculation abilities. They go around using "neural networks," which is kind of scary. Impressively, however, the 64-bit 4 CPU version of Stockfish is still holding its own. Here is some "objectivist" evidence:

upload_2020-1-13_13-51-0.png

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #4,513 of 4,545
The thing we need to mention here, as a logical and smooth extension and dramatically appropriate segue when viewed in the context of the immediately preceding posts, is that we are getting stronger chess engines, coming out now, some free, some not (including one called "Fat Fritz"), but that in order order to use them to their higher potential you need one of the new RTX video cards because the newfangled chess engines need to use the RTX real time ray tracing calculation abilities. They go around using "neural networks," which is kind of scary. Impressively, however, the 64-bit 4 CPU version of Stockfish is still holding its own. Here is some "objectivist" evidence:

Fortunately, the level of software needed to best my chess playing does not require an expensive GPU. Maybe a Commodore 64....

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #4,514 of 4,545
Fortunately, the level of software needed to best my chess playing does not require an expensive GPU. Maybe a Commodore 64....

I am quite limited in my chess playing ability and achievement as well. I just received an annual automated list from chess.com of things I can do to not be so stupid.

A great number of chess engines will destroy even the best human chess players in the world. I don’t think any human has broken 2900 ELO, and last I read only 13 humans in history had exceeded 2800 and 101 human had exceeded 2700 ELO.

By contrast there are plenty of even “weak” chess engines exceeding 3000 and the best ones are pushing 3400, 3500, 3600. AI computer / algorithm Alpha zero beat the best known computer chess engine after one day teaching itself how to play. But the conventional chess engine (Stockfish at the time) author said the game was rigged to favor alpha zero. Then alpha zero said it was getting off of the chess thing shortly thereafter. That’s right, alpha zero was chicken.

And yet, the game of chess is not yet “solved” (at the other extreme perhaps see tic tac toe, or to take a more interesting example, the Rubic’s cube or checkers, which are all solved).

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #4,515 of 4,545
I am quite limited in my chess playing ability and achievement as well. I just received an annual automated list from chess.com of things I can do to not be so stupid.

A great number of chess engines will destroy even the best human chess players in the world. I don’t think any human has broken 2900 ELO, and last I read only 13 humans in history had exceeded 2800 and 101 human had exceeded 2700 ELO.

By contrast there are plenty of even “weak” chess engines exceeding 3000 and the best ones are pushing 3400, 3500, 3600. AI computer / algorithm Alpha zero beat the best known computer chess engine after one day teaching itself how to play. But the conventional chess engine (Stockfish at the time) author said the game was rigged to favor alpha zero. Then alpha zero said it was getting off of the chess thing shortly thereafter. That’s right, alpha zero was chicken.

And yet, the game of chess is not yet “solved” (at the other extreme perhaps see tic tac toe, or to take a more interesting example, the Rubic’s cube or checkers, which are all solved).

I can't even win against Chessmaster at 1000 elo :upside_down:
Enjoyed the movie Computer Chess, though strange and not all that much about chess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back