Objectivists board room
Apr 12, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #4,456 of 4,545
If the fella who has been PMing me lately wants to speak about his recent experience, I'd invite you to. It's relevant to what we're talking about.

I’m not sure they’ll approve this post since they are manually doing so while I’m in this probationary period.

The essence of the situation: I was accused of pulling a thread off topic. I called to question the subjective experience of a reviewer claiming to hear differences between two identical DAPs, one enclosed in stainless steel and the other in copper. Of course he claimed the copper one was “warmer” and so on. I pointed out the insanity of that argument since this is the same silly claim made by people who believe in the effects of different cable materials. I was measured in my criticism, albeit harsh in my initial post since he also claimed to hear differences in *firmware* despite the manufacturer stating the firmware did not affect the playback at all. This same reviewer receives, as far as I can tell, all of their equipment for free, and in at least several situations wasn’t asked to return the equipment (we all know this is a huge problem here). I also critiqued that. I was eventually reported for being “rude” for not accepting an individual’s subjective experiences despite very clearly laying out the case for why these audible differences could not exist in the device at hand (I’d argue this was on-topic). As a result, many of my posts were deleted (the ones the mod claimed were off-topic) and I was placed in a probationary state that requires my posts get approved by a mod. They didn’t say how long this would last.

The utter hypocrisy here is that Jude himself claimed that nwavguy was banned because he linked to his blog in his signature. This reviewer has the done the EXACT SAME THING and his blog is chock full of ads and other revenue generating content. Furthermore, when individuals come into sound science and try to claim that their subjective experiences are indeed facts, we don’t moan about how disrespectful they are and report them, we try to reason with them and supply evidence to the contrary. Only after they start filling the thread with garbage do we either choose to ignore them or ask them to leave. Admittedly, I and other less scrupulous posters, when fed up with continued nonsense, can get a little disrespectful, but only after we’ve been directly disrespected ourselves. What we don’t do is call for a mod to preserve our closed discourse and send the naysayer away.

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #4,457 of 4,545
I have been thinking about this for a while, and have whined like a bad puppy to other modos just this week. but while I clearly feel that this section just doesn't work the way it is, I don't really have a clear solution either. I tried writing to start a few stuff, on magnitudes, on what this sub section is about, but I write the way I do. a lots of words to say very little very poorly. nobody in his right mind would wish to read 10 pages of my disorganized thoughts. if the post we ask people to read is worst than a license agreement mixed with science talk, nobody is going to read it.

also I'm not totally sure that I have the authority to redefine this section or the rules in it. so there is that.
but of course you guys are more than welcome to make posts if only for yourself to refer to instead of saying the same stuff 3 times a week. and if you think it's worth it, I have the unicorn power of making a topic "sticky". so that much can be done without issue.

Just to clarify, I’m don’t want this document to redefine Sound Science in any way.

Everyone should still post as as - I think that a faq would just help new posters think about the concept of human audibility and relate that a bit more to the various numerical claims being made. And hope for somewhat less repetition of the common questions and questioning or at least change the spin to asking about the math rather than refuting it.

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #4,458 of 4,545
It would be good to clear out a lot of those links at the top and replace them with more appropriate ones, but I know castle said that was beyond his powers. Pins would be fine. I think Testing Audiophile Claims and Myths would be a good pin to start with. And I like that Rane glossary a lot too.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4,459 of 4,545
It would be good to clear out a lot of those links at the top and replace them with more appropriate ones, but I know castle said that was beyond his powers. Pins would be fine. I think Testing Audiophile Claims and Myths would be a good pin to start with. And I like that Rane glossary a lot too.
testing audiophile claims and myth, done. TBH I could have done that a long time ago as it's a no brainer.
I have relied on the Rane glossary for almost as long as I've come to audio forums. the PDF is stored on my computers from fear that the link would go down someday. to understand measurements, it's obviously a good start to understand what they measure ^_^.

when I knew nothing about nothing I always came back to those:
http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html estimating power use on a headphone, still have the excel file too, although now I can do ohm's law on my own like a big boy, but laziness still makes it a compelling file ^_^.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm pick up an EQ, play around, look at the graph, learn stuff. learn how to describe stuff.

and this, although it's an ad, it can help jump start a conversation about "obvious" things:

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #4,460 of 4,545
...“The Arguement Clinic” sketch from the old Monty Python show.

A rather accurate description of how these "arguments" (using that term loosely) with subjectivists tend to go in here. And a fine Python skit, especially since it's something from the show that isn't that overrated skit about the bloody parrot.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #4,461 of 4,545
It depends on the song. The more familiar you are with it, the more likely you'll hear the vocals through it. You also have to listen for a couple of minutes before it snaps in.

I am pretty/very familiar with some of those songs and I did listen for more than a couple of minutes.

And a fine Python skit, especially since it's something from the show that isn't that overrated skit about the bloody parrot.

I don't want to be pedantic but as this is the science forum: It wasn't a "bloody" parrot, neither was it just resting, stunned or pinning for the fjords, it was a dead parrot! (citation: "Monty Python's Dead Parrot Discovered" - ScienceBlogs, 2008)

I second the idea of a sticky/FAQ btw.

G

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #4,462 of 4,545
I know there are some Monty Python fans here... just wanted to share something I picked up for my autograph collection the other day...

python1.jpg

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #4,463 of 4,545
This is my hometown and I was in 8th grade when this went down. I want a time machine to go back to this!

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #4,464 of 4,545
I know there are some Monty Python fans here... just wanted to share something I picked up for my autograph collection the other day...

python1.jpg
Not sure music was their strong point.....Terry Gilliams clip art animation though was way ahead of its time and absolutely fn hilarious.Considering what you do for a living i will of course defer to your opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #4,466 of 4,545
Not sure music was their strong point.....Terry Gilliams clip art animation though was way ahead of its time and absolutely fn hilarious.Considering what you do for a living i will of course defer to your opinion.

Lumberjack Song is pretty quintessential Python. Gilliam is a genius though. He worked for Harvey Kurtzman, so that makes sense. The other one I think is incredible is Graham Chapman. He was a master of logic and structure. Argument Clinic is largely his work.

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #4,469 of 4,545
Just in case anyone else was thinking about getting the new release of the Fellowship of the Ring complete recordings, I've got a summary of what I've seen so far here. Hope they release the other two films; will be nice to see those $500 tags for TTT suddenly plummet ^_^

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #4,470 of 4,545
So I upgraded to the Samsung S9. I really like the sound from the S9. The default qualcomm codec chip is a black sheep among head-fi users who prefer the external dac options and that an expensive DAC is required to enjoy music.

But I like the default audio from this phone, even with wifi and 4G LTE there are no crackles or noise going on during audio playback.

Powers all my earphones with ease. Maybe someone will make some load measurements but it sounds excellent. I don't detect any unwanted noise and provides accurate playback for me.
Maybe my ears are just going bad and I'm easy to please :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back