1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Objectivists board room

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by joe bloggs, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295
297 298 299 300 301 302
Next

Last
  1. Argyris Contributor
    Especially if it involves spending money or having made public statements in support of something. It's tough to admit that you wasted your money and were taken in, and that all those glowing reviews you read and/or wrote, and the "night and day" comparisons you claimed, are now invalid. It's much easier to say the person with the charts and graphs is wrong, that they've missed something, or that they have an overarching agenda of some kind that involves separating you from your enjoyment or not understanding what enjoyment even is.

Not to mention, coming to such a realization involves being separated from all those you know who haven't or won't do the same. They'll continue to believe, and they might even turn on you if you stick around. But really, you can't stick around. What would you talk about? Everybody else still wants to discuss how their new $1,000 cable and $10,000 DAC make such a huge difference. You can't do that because you don't believe in it anymore. In a nutshell, the hobby itself, as a lot of people here see it, disappears. Then you're just left buying different headphones and listening to music, which at first seems so sparse, so boring.

And then you wander into Sound Science...

sonitus mirus likes this.
  2. U-3C
    ...and then you are okay with not sticking around...

...and then they turn on you if you still stick around...

...and then you are banned from the cable threads...

:p

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  3. castleofargh Contributor
    to say sorry for the last 2 I killed on sight, I propose to have a topic dedicated to legendary animals. whalebats, flying pigs, and all our others friends. they deserve a dedicated place where they can enjoy music free from public oppression and Trump Jr's rifle. if it works, I'll contact UNESCO and ask if nurse Joy can come use her expertise on Pokemons to help with our local residents.

I have nothing on digital glare, though.

4. Argyris Contributor
    Cables are a lot like Nurse Joy: there may be a lot of them all throughout whatever region you're in, but no matter what Brock says, they're all exactly the same.

colonelkernel8 and castleofargh like this.
  5. colonelkernel8
    Well that wasn't long-winded at all!

6. 71 dB
    I have realized having been wrong so many times it doesn't even surprise me anyone. I'm like "Oh, seems like I have been wrong about this too!" The fact is we don't often start with the correct opinion. We start with some random stupid opinions and then hopefully later we are wiser and know/understand more and can improve/correct those initial stupid opinions. I understood this when I was about 25 years old I think, so for a quarter of a century I hold many monumetally stupid opinions such as "Classical music is too old to be compatible with modern ears." or "Everything gets better and better with time."

colonelkernel8 and Argyris like this.
  7. bigshot

This one is impossible for me to hear without lyrics!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  8. gregorio
    For some reason, those illusions don't seem to work for me. The illusion that it is (or is supposed to be) music works for me but not the illusion of the lyrics being present. I'm not sure why, maybe it's my familiarity with the piano sound, some aspect of my musical or sound engineering training or maybe it's something I'm lacking, like a love of lyrics, I've always generally tended to concentrate far more on the music and sound than on the lyrics.

G

9. castleofargh Contributor
    the first one I get "brabruplatapratatlablane staying alive staying alive".
    for the second one, how many cats are running on the piano exactly? ^_^ I can count at least 3

10. bigshot
    It depends on the song. The more familiar you are with it, the more likely you'll hear the vocals through it. You also have to listen for a couple of minutes before it snaps in.

That's kinda how it sounds in the real song too!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  11. sonitus mirus
    I believe those were the actual lyrics credited on the original album sleeve.

gopack87, bigshot and colonelkernel8 like this.
  12. bigshot
    I'm curious why people come and participate here in Sound Science just to argue with the whole point of the forum. I think they believe that the rest of HeadFi is the whole wide world and we are the crazy animals kept in the cage of our own forum... the exact opposite is the truth. They seem to come in twos to rattle our cages- either with a sock puppet or a buddy to high five with when they "score points". But none of them do a really good job of rattling us. In fact, it usually ends up with them doing hyper emotional curtain calls telling us over and over again that they're "outta here" as they get more and more impatient with their own ineffectualness. It seems like a waste of time. If there was an interesting discussion going on that was being sidetracked, I'd probably be frustrated. But it's kind of quiet right now, so I'm just amused.

Some people sure don't know how to use the internet well!

gopack87, bfreedma and colonelkernel8 like this.
  13. castleofargh Contributor
    internet is great but also a giant trap. we can spend our life looking only for confirmation. I kind of do just that when I spend too much time in here and never go read the cable section. I'm avoiding testimonies of change and avoid learning about the warmer sound of gold cables. just so that I don't have to admit that it is all true. allegedly.

but I agree that when someone comes in a section called Sound Science to tell everybody how measurements and controlled tests are unreliable or unnecessary, it gets awkward real fast.

14. bfreedma

I think a large part of the frustration is having to repeat the same discussions as posters new to Sound Science drop in to inform the regulars that what we know about the various commonly addressed topics is wrong because "they heard a difference".

Would it make sense to put together a thread with a sticky containing some of the really solid explanations of the general position here on things like cables, amps, DACS, etc? A fair compromise might be requesting that those who want to state their subjective views as objective evidence read the thread before engaging in further discussion. Granted, it won't stop the trolls, but it might give most of the members who drop by irregularly some context around the accepted science and prevent a lot of repetitive explanations.

Might help some of our posters of longer responses from carpal tunnel as well - they can link to previous posts....

gregorio and colonelkernel8 like this.
  15. bigshot
    A FAQ would be great... if these people were really interested in knowing. I think an agreed upon one line dismissal that we all use would be more effective. ...that or shunning like the Amish.

First

Back
286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295
297 298 299 300 301 302
Next

Last