Objectivists board room
Oct 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #4,021 of 4,545
today I learned that people sell $7500 "active, shielded" power cords. Nice business model!

$7500? That's the cheapskate option. I've seen at least five figures on those kinds of things.

You know you've entered the twilight zone when the stuff on Machina Dynamica isn't appreciably different from the real products that you can actually buy from people who evidently learned to keep a straight face when selling it to you by tossing their scruples into the nearest raging fire.

I would genuinely like to know how many of the people who sell uber expensive, esoteric audio equipment and accessories are true believers, and how many of them know it's a racket or at the very least have some doubts, either about the products themselves or just whether it's wrong to take advantage of people who believe things based on nothing but their own, easily manipulable subjective assessment.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #4,022 of 4,545
$7500? That's the cheapskate option. I've seen at least five figures on those kinds of things.

You know you've entered the twilight zone when the stuff on Machina Dynamica isn't appreciably different from the real products that you can actually buy from people who evidently learned to keep a straight face when selling it to you by tossing their scruples into the nearest raging fire.

I would genuinely like to know how many of the people who sell uber expensive, esoteric audio equipment and accessories are true believers, and how many of them know it's a racket or at the very least have some doubts, either about the products themselves or just whether it's wrong to take advantage of people who believe things based on nothing but their own, easily manipulable subjective assessment.
I'm very confident cable sellers who sell expensive ones in thousands have to practice in their freetime keeping a straight face.

Knowing how cheap a wire is. Just invest a bit in making it look nice on exterior.
Low cost and high profit margin. If an audiophile thinks that cable looks cool with an exotic material it's already in their mind that it's "high quality".

The salesman just needs to have audiophile confirm it by telling them what they want to hear. Keeping a straight face at same time (can be difficult to do).

want to add some emojis
Cable salesman on outside::slight_smile:
Cable salesman on inside:
:tophat::joy::joy_cat::joy::joy:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #4,027 of 4,545
They only make a sound when you drop them on the floor!

I'm very confident cable sellers who sell expensive ones in thousands have to practice in their freetime keeping a straight face.

Knowing how cheap a wire is. Just invest a bit in making it look nice on exterior.
Low cost and high profit margin. If an audiophile thinks that cable looks cool with an exotic material it's already in their mind that it's "high quality".

The salesman just needs to have audiophile confirm it by telling them what they want to hear. Keeping a straight face at same time (can be difficult to do).

want to add some emojis
Cable salesman on outside::slight_smile:
Cable salesman on inside:
:tophat::joy::joy_cat::joy::joy:

Then again, the United States pharma industry (well, all pharma) does the same thing as well. Doctors keep a straight face.

For some history about this, read here: https://www.alternet.org/books/how-...-massive-inequality-made-america-bully-nation

Disregard the title.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #4,033 of 4,545
the future is in wireless cables. fat cables that will serve as strong shield to protect the hifi wifi signal to the purest quality we deserve. it will be transmitted inside a conductor protected by that shielding revolution. it's year 3000 tech I'm talking about. at some point we might even be able to reliably transmit directly an analog signal into this... let's call it "analog cable". crazy stuff.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #4,034 of 4,545
the future is in wireless cables. fat cables that will serve as strong shield to protect the hifi wifi signal to the purest quality we deserve. it will be transmitted inside a conductor protected by that shielding revolution. it's year 3000 tech I'm talking about. at some point we might even be able to reliably transmit directly an analog signal into this... let's call it "analog cable". crazy stuff.
If this planet is still running by then.

Eh we will be long gone by then. I shudder at next gen of audiophiles.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #4,035 of 4,545
I just edited this comment because I realized I was reading it wrong.

It appears that whenever a thread gets salty with objective arguments out there in the crazy town part of Head Fi, they preserve the sanctity of the masses by banishing it here... kind of like being thrown to the wolves. But we aren't bad people. I'm sure there are people in these threads causing trouble by making rational points, and they might be a valuable asset to Sound Science. So if no one objects, I'm going to appoint myself the official Sound Science Welcome Wagon. I'll come up with a nice gift basket to give people in threads that get whisked away into our audio munchkinland. Maybe we can make this forum even bigger and better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back