Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
May 7, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #302 of 389
Quote:

I wanted to order mine in standalone case but $50 for the case? 
eek.gif

You do realize that there are two other sellers that are cheaper with cases?

May 7, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #303 of 389
Seems like headnhifi is the cheapest with casing at the moment.
Anyways, are there any significant changes in the upcoming ODA apart from the power supply? If not I can buy the pcb alone for now, and mount it in the ODA in future. I don't want to remove the batteries from the O2.

May 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #304 of 389
Isn't headnhifi located in Switzerland. So if you were to order from there you would have to pay the ~20% customs tariff. Because it is coming from outside the EU.

Should be cheaper to order it from epiphany acoustics. If you live inside EU.

May 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #305 of 389
Quote:
Isn't headnhifi located in Switzerland. So if you were to order from there you would have to pay the ~20% customs tariff. Because it is coming from outside the EU.
Should be cheaper to order it from epiphany acoustics. If you live inside EU.

Yeah but Walter said in Diyaudio thread that he will ship EU packages from Germany. 
wink.gif

May 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #306 of 389
Perhaps this is kind of a stupid question, but the O2 and the ODAC will work in conjunction with each other am I right? As in it will be source -> ODAC -> O2 all in the convenient form factor of one case? Because some DAC/AMP combos from my understanding when plugged into a computer, only the DAC works? I'm not entirely sure, but I guess what I'm asking is, for someone who doesn't own the O2 or the ODAC I should get the combo? I'm still kinda new so can someone explain to me like I'm a 5 year old? 

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #307 of 389
My O2 got stolen in a bar I took it to so a friend could to listen to it. If they dislike the O2 as much as I do, I'm sure they'll bring it back. I'll go back this weekend to check if anyone dropped it of.

May 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #309 of 389
Quote:
Perhaps this is kind of a stupid question, but the O2 and the ODAC will work in conjunction with each other am I right? As in it will be source -> ODAC -> O2 all in the convenient form factor of one case? Because some DAC/AMP combos from my understanding when plugged into a computer, only the DAC works? I'm not entirely sure, but I guess what I'm asking is, for someone who doesn't own the O2 or the ODAC I should get the combo? I'm still kinda new so can someone explain to me like I'm a 5 year old? 

If you get the version of the O2 with the ODAC then you'll be able to use either input.  Plugging in the 1/8" jack will switch to that input and mute the DAC.

May 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #310 of 389
What cable do you use for connecting your DACS to your O2 ?

I just bought this and a juli@ PCI out of curiosity and I'd like to get the right cable too, I have a mini stereo cable but isn't the lineout (from dacs/audio card) normally already amped ? Otherwise I will have to use the emu0404 usb which I am not a big fan of.

Are there decent RCA to minijack cables ? Prob yes :)

May 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #311 of 389
In some sound cards the "line out" is passed through a headphone amplifier so it works with headphones too.  That shouldn't be the case for the Juli@.  And even if it was, double-amping is not a big deal usually.

The mini jack (3.5mm) line out of the Juli@ is what you want.

May 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #312 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And even if it was, double-amping is not a big deal usually.

IMO, double amping is a very strange thing to do, unless your only problem is that your cans simply aren't loud enough. But if you have a quality amp like the double Objective2, I would really recommend not double amping.

May 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #313 of 389
I just finished populating my O2 board and took a listen through my D2000.  My first impression is very favorable.  I don't think you can do better for the price.  It is crystal clear and still gives enough current for all the bass I expect from my D2ks.  I was skeptical, but it turned out to be a really nice amp.  It is pretty ugly in the default enclosure, but I will wait for the ODA to put one in something nice.

May 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #314 of 389
Quote:
What cable do you use for connecting your DACS to your O2 ?

I just bought this and a juli@ PCI out of curiosity and I'd like to get the right cable too, I have a mini stereo cable but isn't the lineout (from dacs/audio card) normally already amped ? Otherwise I will have to use the emu0404 usb which I am not a big fan of.

Are there decent RCA to minijack cables ? Prob yes :)

There are plenty of decent RCA to minijack cables. Check monoprice. I suggest one from their "premium" line. They are very nice cables. Alternatively, if you can just run a mini to mini do that. There shouldn't be any difference. I'm not familiar with the Juli@ or the output options, just use whichever.

Quote:

IMO, double amping is a very strange thing to do, unless your only problem is that your cans simply aren't loud enough. But if you have a quality amp like the double Objective2, I would really recommend not double amping.

what is strange about double amping and why would you not recommend it?

May 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #315 of 389
Quote:

There are plenty of decent RCA to minijack cables. Check monoprice. I suggest one from their "premium" line. They are very nice cables. Alternatively, if you can just run a mini to mini do that. There shouldn't be any difference. I'm not familiar with the Juli@ or the output options, just use whichever.

what is strange about double amping and why would you not recommend it?

Running the signal through an amp twice will reduce the clarity of the sound. Imperfect analogy, but think of talking to someone through a cell phone that doesn't have a person on the other end but is simply the voice from another cell phone with a person on that end! The quality is going to get worse the number of cell phones are in the chain. Similar with amping. Double amping is reduplicating the effort without any gain...except loudness (provided your lamp isn't loud enough). Why not amp through 3 or 4 amps? The sound just gets degraded the more times it is amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back