Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
May 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #331 of 389
I guess you're right, it doesn't make much sense.
In any case, when equalizing it's always preferable to decrease than to increase, because even though you get 'less bits' you also get less distortion and at least to me the increase in distortion ruins music more than the decrease in digital information.

May 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #332 of 389
I will try with no EQ when I get home today.  I find it very likely that the volume attenuation is saving me from clipping with the iPod.  The signal I sent from my DAC was not attenuated by any volume control, software or hardware, before reaching the amp.  I tried the exact same source material and got much worse results with the iPod, so I guess I should have enough info to figure this out now.  Thanks for the help guys, I am sure I will work it out soon enough.

May 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #333 of 389
Just for closure:
I had a bad iPod LOD cable that was causing my problems.  Just finished making my own and it sounds fine now.

Still surprised by the O2's performance.  And totally black background even with my super sensitive IEMs.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #334 of 389
Question.

My current headphones are Beyer DT880 600 ohms. I used a calculator that someone posted here a while ago and figured out that the gain for the O2 should be 3.2 to get 115 dB. Is this enough to cause clipping? I'll probably have it set by the builder at 2x/3x, since some of the headphones I'm looking to upgrade to seem to be right around the 2x gain range.

EDIT: I'm actually pondering an ODAC/O2 combo now. Apparently the ODAC is outputting 2.0 Vrms, so I need gain of 2.5/3.5.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #335 of 389
Quote:
Question.

My current headphones are Beyer DT880 600 ohms. I used a calculator that someone posted here a while ago and figured out that the gain for the O2 should be 3.2 to get 115 dB. Is this enough to cause clipping? I'll probably have it set by the builder at 2x/3x, since some of the headphones I'm looking to upgrade to seem to be right around the 2x gain range.

EDIT: I'm actually pondering an ODAC/O2 combo now. Apparently the ODAC is outputting 2.0 Vrms, so I need gain of 2.5/3.5.

Where is that calculator at? 

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #337 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A 7 Vrms level is very close to clipping, it would be safer to use the default 2.5x gain only, unless you really need 115 dB SPL (something I would not recommend for regular listening).

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #341 of 389
Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that evanft's spread sheet had its output set at 2 V RMS.  

Edit: 2.2 V actually.  

Whoever I got the spreadsheet from had used it for the Gamma 2. I just never bothered to change it. I just mess with the output V when I need to.

A 7 Vrms level is very close to clipping, it would be safer to use the default 2.5x gain only, unless you really need 115 dB SPL (something I would not recommend for regular listening).

I actually just ordered a ODAC/O2 combo. I went with 2.5/3.5. As you said, 3.5 puts me right below clipping, but it should be fine. If it gives me problems, I'll just swap out resistors.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #342 of 389
Quote:
I actually just ordered a ODAC/O2 combo. I went with 2.5/3.5. As you said, 3.5 puts me right below clipping, but it should be fine. If it gives me problems, I'll just swap out resistors.

3.5x gain with 2.2 Vrms input voltage would definitely clip with a 0 dBFS digital signal. The 2.5x gain should be fine, and likely still plenty loud enough anyway.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #343 of 389
Quote:

3.5x gain with 2.2 Vrms input voltage would definitely clip with a 0 dBFS digital signal. The 2.5x gain should be fine, and likely still plenty loud enough anyway.

The ODAC outputs 2.03 Vrms. I had calculated my gains with 2 Vrms. I'll change them to 2x/3x instead to give myself a little safety margin.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #344 of 389
Has anybody tried swapping AC power supplies with O2? Like performance difference at varying voltage......14v-20v. I am currently using 13v AC. Would a higher power supply like say ...18V benefit?

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #345 of 389
Quote:
Has anybody tried swapping AC power supplies with O2? Like performance difference at varying voltage......14v-20v. I am currently using 13v AC. Would a higher power supply like say ...18V benefit?

On paper the only benefit you'd get from a higher voltage transformer would be when listening to low impedance 'phones at high levels.  It would keep the power supply from falling out of regulation when the output opamps were drawing lots of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back