Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
Aug 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #361 of 389
Quote:
I just got the O2+ODAC.  I could not resist the price and hype.

First, I was expecting something bigger.  It's so small.  Yet, it has a big sound. It really sounds like a desktop amp.
Second, I was expecting bright and lean.  But it's smooth, clean and not lean at all.  Nice bass. Not something you get for something that resembles a portable amp. Really pleasantly surprised.

I tried my JH13pro.  Wow.  Nice and smooth.  Not edgy or hot like I expected.  The bass finally came alive, something that only happens with a good desktop amp on these.
I tried the Grado Magnums.  It of course did not warm it up but it did it accentuate it.  It sounded smooth.  
I tried last my LCD-2 r.1.  It no longer sounded warm and creamy.  It sounded very neutral for the first time.  At least to me.

But overall. I am very pleasantly happy.  I could not ask for more for such a low price and size.  Very powerful transportable, amp/dac combo that more than satisfies.

your magnums necessitate limba cups.

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #362 of 389
I really see what headphonia was saying in their review.  There is enough bass but it lacks punch and impact.  Very soft, mushy and defused sounding.  

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #363 of 389
Quote:
I really see what headphonia was saying in their review.  There is enough bass but it lacks punch and impact.  Very soft, mushy and defused sounding.  

Read any impression while you are listening to a piece and you will hear what they are saying :)

At least, that has been my experience. It sucks that the brain is like that.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #365 of 389
Quote:

That was my problem with the HD650 and O2. It just didn't seem to have the dynamics to drive the HD650 authoritatively. I don't know it if I'd say soft, but at least weak. I'm not a basshead; there was plenty of bass for me with the O2. Its just that its adequate. I think the same may be true of treble, too. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #366 of 389
I imagine you could put a low value resistor into a short extension cable out of your O2 to bump the output impedance up a bit and see if they match with your expectations then.  Seems like something worth trying.  Sennhiesers overall seem to have a tendency to have very strange impedance curves which ends up making them more affected by amps.  

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #367 of 389
Hey,

It's strange that there isn't some huge thread about this amp anywhere, how is that?
Anyway, I'm going to build an objective 2 amp somewhere soon and I wonder if there are some parts that could use a upgrade, money isn't the issue. :)
Maybe some capacitors or the potentiometer? It's just that i'm a nub and I don't know what could be worth it.

What are places where I can buy a pcb I know JDS labs sells them but the shipping to NL is pretty high?

Are there any other (tube) amps that can be built diy? I have a cheap part source :)

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #368 of 389
Originally Posted by HolyCheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey,

It's strange that there isn't some huge thread about this amp anywhere, how is that?
Anyway, I'm going to build an objective 2 amp somewhere soon and I wonder if there are some parts that could use a upgrade, money isn't the issue. :)
Maybe some capacitors or the potentiometer? It's just that i'm a nub and I don't know what could be worth it.

What are places where I can buy a pcb I know JDS labs sells them but the shipping to NL is pretty high?

Are there any other (tube) amps that can be built diy? I have a cheap part source :)

I should have a spare O2 PCB (and case).. will let you know if I find it.

DIY tube amp?  The Bottlehead Crack & Project Sunrise II are two of the more popular ones.  There's also the very well regarded Cavalli CTH (full kit can be purchased here).  I'd snoop around the HeadFi DIY subforum for more info.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #369 of 389
In Europe, headnhifi might be a better source for PCBs and parts:
http://www.headnhifi.com/

I don't think there's a better potentiometer of that size to use.  Potentially the most serious upgrade could be getting a ~16VAC transformer, preferably 400mA+, if you're drawing a considerable amount of power from the amp, say to drive insensitive low-impedance headphones.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #370 of 389
Thanks for the info, maybe the bottlehead crack will do. :) I have an awesome plan to build a modded DAC + objective 2 (low impedance) + bottlehead crack (high impedance) + a small t-amp + maybe a DIY phono tube stage in one nice enclosure.

That website is a bit better, the price will be 6 + 9 euro's. I'll check it out.

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #371 of 389
I can't find the AC adapter for my JDS Labs O2 amp. where can I order a replacement, for a good price?
(110 volt USA)

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #372 of 389
I can't find the AC adapter for my JDS Labs O2 amp. where can I order a replacement, for a good price?
(110 volt USA)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/WAU16-1000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtpkqKkT5w3uqH3NkAtJ%252bfiB%252bEoemwjDP0%3D

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #373 of 389
Quote:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/WAU16-1000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtpkqKkT5w3uqH3NkAtJ%252bfiB%252bEoemwjDP0%3D

oops, just found the O2's AC adapter plugged into the power cord extension, were I've been using it for the past year.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #374 of 389
Couple of Objective2 Questions. This seemed like the most relevant thread, but please let me know if otherwise...

Does getting one of the other wall warts (16VAC, 20VAC) improve the sound more than the standard 12V? 

I like the presentation of the O2. Are there any other amps you might recommend that has tighter bass and better bass slam than the O2, while still keeping the detail and black bacground? 

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #375 of 389
Quote:
Couple of Objective2 Questions. This seemed like the most relevant thread, but please let me know if otherwise...

Does getting one of the other wall warts (16VAC, 20VAC) improve the sound more than the standard 12V? 

I like the presentation of the O2. Are there any other amps you might recommend that has tighter bass and better bass slam than the O2, while still keeping the detail and black bacground? 

Getting more power into the amp with a higher ouput wall wart pretty much just makes the O2 turn the extra power into heat.  It doesn't change anything about the operation of the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back