O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 5, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #4,936 of 5,671
  My ODAC has a similar problems. When I start a song in foobar when another is still playing, I could hear the click. I tried everything and it still happens. Not that it always does, but it's still annoying.

I get that sometimes too, switching tracks mid-song. But the click is the most consistent when stopping the audio as I said before, when the audio stream gets shut off I guess.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #4,937 of 5,671
I had this issue when I used some ASIO drivers from a different soundcard and also when using ASIO4ALL. I stoped using ASIO and got back to WASAPI (event or push) and everything's fine now, at least in Windows 7 64-bit + Foobar.

What OS version are you using? Also, are you using ASIO, WASAPI, Direct Sound? Is this happening in Foobar as well?

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #4,939 of 5,671
  I had this issue when I used some ASIO drivers from a different soundcard and also when using ASIO4ALL. I stoped using ASIO and got back to WASAPI (event or push) and everything's fine now, at least in Windows 7 64-bit + Foobar.

What OS version are you using? Also, are you using ASIO, WASAPI, Direct Sound? Is this happening in Foobar as well?

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and DirectSound, I tried using WASAPI in both event and push but it didn't fix anything.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #4,941 of 5,671
  Can you please try Foobar and/or JRiver? It may be player related after all.

It may also help changing priority from Normal to High in Windows Task Manager.

Foobar2000 is what I'm using and high process priority doesn't help either. I found another thread about ODAC clicks but none of the suggestions in that thread helped me and the issue seems to be a bit different from what I'm having. I'm currently using my O2 with a Modi 2 without problems.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #4,942 of 5,671
From what I remember using iTunes did help. I don't bother much about it now. Right now I'm using the ODAC in wasapi push mode, changed the buffer to maximum but it didn't help.

Oh and setting fadein and fadeout a few hundred ms seems to help.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #4,943 of 5,671

My ODAC has a similar problems. When I start a song in foobar when another is still playing, I could hear the click. I tried everything and it still happens. Not that it always does, but it's still annoying.

I get that sometimes too, switching tracks mid-song. But the click is the most consistent when stopping the audio as I said before, when the audio stream gets shut off I guess.

if it's about what feels like a little static discharge that happens sometimes in one ear (not always the same)when you stop or change track, using my hd650, my mouse when I click to stop foobar from playing is making a louder physical noise than what I'm talking about. 
biggrin.gif

it's something that doesn't exist when simply playing music, so I don't see how this is a problem? I mean you press stop and get a little noise. ok, but you stopped the music!!!!!! doesn't it mean that you stopped listening? just take the headphone OFF your head before pressing pause if that's such a big deal. if I turn OFF any amp I have, I will get a louder noise than what I'm talking about. forcing most DAC to change resolution tends to make a bigger noise than that.

what's fun is that if pause doesn't make the noise, then why are you using stop?
tongue.gif
  I always thought I was a noise maniac, but I admit I've now found my master. ^_^
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #4,944 of 5,671
  Foobar2000 is what I'm using and high process priority doesn't help either. I found another thread about ODAC clicks but none of the suggestions in that thread helped me and the issue seems to be a bit different from what I'm having. I'm currently using my O2 with a Modi 2 without problems.

Hi, 

It would be interesting to find out if on a different computer your ODAC manifests the same issue, on the same Windows version.
Also, an USB stick with Ubuntu-live and your ODAC connected to might help; if on ALSA or PULSE there will be the same clicks, then ODAC might be defective I'd say. :frowning2:

Btw, what about using ASIO4ALL for a quick test? Maybe it could help. Also, what about using jRiver, do you have the same issue?

Thanks!

P.S.: I have these clicks on my ASUS Essence One DAC when seeking and when start/stop/pause are involved, but not very annoying and only when using ASIO; on WASAPI everything is smooth. Also, when using ASIO and seeking a lot playback locks for about 10 seconds then I get a Foobar error (sort like "your soundcard stops responding") and I need to press play again to make it works again. I really think this is drivers/software related issue, perhaps the same for your ODAC.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,945 of 5,671

if it's about what feels like a little static discharge that happens sometimes in one ear (not always the same)when you stop or change track, using my hd650, my mouse when I click to stop foobar from playing is making a louder physical noise than what I'm talking about. 
biggrin.gif

it's something that doesn't exist when simply playing music, so I don't see how this is a problem? I mean you press stop and get a little noise. ok, but you stopped the music!!!!!! doesn't it mean that you stopped listening? just take the headphone OFF your head before pressing pause if that's such a big deal. if I turn OFF any amp I have, I will get a louder noise than what I'm talking about. forcing most DAC to change resolution tends to make a bigger noise than that.

what's fun is that if pause doesn't make the noise, then why are you using stop?
tongue.gif
  I always thought I was a noise maniac, but I admit I've now found my master. ^_^
beerchug.gif

It's not a very big issue but it was very noticeable and made me wonder if it's normal. 

Hi, 

It would be interesting to find out if on a different computer your ODAC manifests the same issue, on the same Windows version.
Also, an USB stick with Ubuntu-live and your ODAC connected to might help; if on ALSA or PULSE there will be the same clicks, then ODAC might be defective I'd say. :frowning2:

Btw, what about using ASIO4ALL for a quick test? Maybe it could help. Also, what about using jRiver, do you have the same issue?

Thanks!

P.S.: I have these clicks on my ASUS Essence One DAC when seeking and when start/stop/pause are involved, but not very annoying and only when using ASIO; on WASAPI everything is smooth. Also, when using ASIO and seeking a lot playback locks for about 10 seconds then I get a Foobar error (sort like "your soundcard stops responding") and I need to press play again to make it works again. I really think this is drivers/software related issue, perhaps the same for your ODAC.

I'll try to hunt down another computer to test it on. I'm starting to suspect it's simply the way the ODAC was designed and/or the way it interacts with my particular PC, but we'll see if I can get my hands on another PC.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #4,949 of 5,671
Clicks are present here as well. Rev B model too.

I have however kinda got used to it by now, as it doesn't happen all that often. From what I have read, it could be an IRQ conflict between the USB port being used and other power sapping devices. This could be the case with my situation, as all my USB ports share IRQs with other devices which are essential to the system. Sadly, I have no idea how to prove this or remedy the issue.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #4,950 of 5,671
So, in theory, there is no way to get rid of the power surge 'clicking' sound you hear when stopping music?

I get this sound when stopping a video, exiting an app in which music or video is playing, and exiting a game. It's pretty annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back