O2 AMP + ODAC
May 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #4,396 of 5,671
  Does anyone have the O2/ODAC combo and the portable O2 (with batteries)? Is there a difference in the power output ? I recall reading that the gain on O2 with batteries is limited by the maximum voltage of the batteries.

Currently with the O2/ODAC driving my beyer T1 on 2.5x gain, the dial is usually at 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock, and 3 o'clock on softer tracks (recorded in 1990s? like my Queen's Greatest Hits 1993 Remaster).

Will the O2 with batteries still drive the beyer T1 (or HD 600, DT 990/600) properly?
Thank you.

The O2 in itself is still in the same casing as the O2/ODAC combo. The difference here is that the ODAC chip takes the place of the dual 9V battery placements.

The two 9V batteries should give you more or less the same performance as it would plugged into a wall. Don't expect a long battery span though.

May 31, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,397 of 5,671
  Does anyone have the O2/ODAC combo and the portable O2 (with batteries)? Is there a difference in the power output ? I recall reading that the gain on O2 with batteries is limited by the maximum voltage of the batteries.

Hello,

4.5V is max. output of O2 running on batteries, so should be enough to drive your T1.

No matter the voltage of O2 (power adapter or batteries), the volume will remain unchanged, just distortions might increase if gain is set below 2.5X or input source voltage is much higher than 2V.

Regards.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #4,398 of 5,671

The problem with cognitive bias is that it's not reliable.  One time it might help you enjoy your music and another time it may work the other way.  Anyway, it's only a hobby!
beyersmile.png

Only a hobby?

I take my cognitive biases seriously. Very seriously.

etysmile.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #4,399 of 5,671
I just built myself an O2 with ODAC rev B, and I'm very happy with it.  It's just as capable of powering my HD600 as my M^3, but at the same time, it can also run IEMs with a totally quiet background.  I really appreciate its very neutral presentation.  The O2+ODAC simply takes a recording and tells it like it is.

Actually, I built two O2s at the same time.  I put an ODAC in one for use as a desktop amp, and I configured the other one as a portable.  So now, I have a tiny desktop DAC/amp and a huge portable amp.  I actually regret making the second O2.  I should have paid more attention to how big it was.  Sure, it sounds fantastic, but I don't see myself carrying it around for portable use.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #4,400 of 5,671
Leave 1 at work then. I'm still wondering if there's any way to make a O2+ODAC portable enough for mobile use...

Does the ODAC rev B support USB OTG too? I have never seen anyone build a ODAC to use as the external DAC from their Androids

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #4,401 of 5,671
  Leave 1 at work then. I'm still wondering if there's any way to make a O2+ODAC portable enough for mobile use...

Does the ODAC rev B support USB OTG too? I have never seen anyone build a ODAC to use as the external DAC from their Androids

It doesn't work when I hook it up directly to my Android phone (the Oneplus One), but it works if I connect it to the phone via a USB hub.  The phone provides power to both the hub & DAC.  I don't need to use a separate power source.

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #4,402 of 5,671

It doesn't work when I hook it up directly to my Android phone (the Oneplus One), but it works if I connect it to the phone via a USB hub.  The phone provides power to both the hub & DAC.  I don't need to use a separate power source.

Which probably means that the chipset on the DAC wasn't designed for phone use.

I have a Fiio e18 and it has a switch that allows you to select between PC input and Phone input.

Guess it's a price thing.

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #4,403 of 5,671

I'm curious. Can you post a picture? So this means you can use the ODAC as the lineout for the phone?

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #4,404 of 5,671

is your direct connection to the phone done with an otg cable/adapter? or did you try with a random usb cable?

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #4,409 of 5,671
  Can this power the DT880 600 Ohms quite well?

Yes, it can power DT880/600ohms if you use a power adapter and not the batteries. Also, I strongly advise you to use a different gain resistor; something between 3.5X - 4.5X might be OK. For gains of 5X or higher you should replace the first stage opamp with something like LME49720, , LME49860, LM4562, OPA2227, MUSES02 etc.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #4,410 of 5,671
  Yes, it can power DT880/600ohms if you use a power adapter and not the batteries. Also, I strongly advise you to use a different gain resistor; something between 3.5X - 4.5X might be OK. For gains of 5X or higher you should replace the first stage opamp with something like LME49720, , LME49860, LM4562, OPA2227, MUSES02 etc.

That's where ADGR's output booster board comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back