O2 AMP + ODAC
Dec 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,751 of 5,671
The PYST is about 6" long and I use them at the moment. It might be purely psychological but there's a certain logic in having as short a cable run as possible. Whether it actually makes a difference in lengths under 0.5m is debatable.

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3,752 of 5,671
Silly question. Can I unplug the battery from my standalone O2 so that it will only run through the AC adapter I'm using? I'm currently am using the O2 as my desktop amp and not planning to use it for portable use. Sorry if it has been answered before.

EDIT: Used the search button and stumbled upon this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac/3480#post_10932475 . So I'm guessing that it CAN be used without batteries, then?

After less than a week, I decided to remove the batteries from my JDSLabs' O2. It has been working without a problem. I never planned using it as a portable, so no I see no need to keep the batteries.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,753 of 5,671
hey guys I was looking for a DAC and a good headphones amplifier. I need the DAC would give another output to give signal to speaker amplifier. So I think I would need a two-RCA-output DAC. What do you think?

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,754 of 5,671
  hey guys I was looking for a DAC and a good headphones amplifier. I need the DAC would give another output to give signal to speaker amplifier. So I think I would need a two-RCA-output DAC. What do you think?

If you don't need to use speackers and headphone at same time a simple switch would do the trick . If you don't want a switch their is versions of  standalone ODAC with 2 outputs , like the XL version from the swiss assembler " head" n" hifi " , one rca output and the second  output is 3.5 mm jack , but shouldn't matter at all , just buy the right cables (but it's advised to don't use both output at same time ) .

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #3,755 of 5,671
If you don't need to use speackers and headphone at same time a simple switch would do the trick . If you don't want a switch their is versions of  standalone ODAC with 2 outputs , like the XL version from the swiss assembler " head" n" hifi " , one rca output and the second  output is 3.5 mm jack , but shouldn't matter at all , just buy the right cables (but it's advised to don't use both output at same time ) .

What switch? Where can I get that?

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #3,756 of 5,671
Dec 14, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #3,758 of 5,671
http://www.headnhifi.com/dac/odac-xl-version

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #3,759 of 5,671
and will this solve the problem of one output?

http://www.amazon.it/HQ-Commutatore-stereo-3-uscite/dp/B000I8OOS8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418577559&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+switch

Yeah i use a similar Switch for my ODAC . so i just switch from an output to another depending on the needs .

Or the ODAC XL if you don't want the switch (Zorrofox kindly provided you a direct link) .

when i purchased my ODAC the XL version didn't existed yet . Just don't power on at the same time both speacker amp and O² (it will not harm anything but performance may be degraded) .

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #3,760 of 5,671
http://www.amazon.it/HQ-Commutatore-stereo-3-uscite/dp/B000I8OOS8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418577559&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+switch

Yeah i use a similar Switch for my ODAC . so i just switch from an output to another depending on the needs .

Or the ODAC XL if you don't want the switch (Zorrofox kindly provided you a direct link) .

when i purchased my ODAC the XL version didn't existed yet . Just don't power on at the same time both speacker amp and O² (it will not harm anything but performance may be degraded) .
what do you suggest? Switch or odac XL version. What advantage will I have?
I'll buy from Italy. Is it simple to find?

oh thanks!

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,761 of 5,671

If you get the O2+ODAC integrated unit (I have one built by Mayflower Electronics), the ODAC can serve as the DAC for the O2 while also outputting the line-out signal through the front port. This, I believe, should solve your problem.

I'm not sure if all O2+ODAC units work this way, but that's how the unit I have works. If it didn't, then a set-up like this (that's the O2+ODAC in the background), which includes a switch for A/B testing, wouldn't be possible:

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,762 of 5,671
Wait wait wait. The odac output is good fit headphones?I don't think so... This is the problem. The best choice I think would be the switch...

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #3,763 of 5,671
Yes, I realize this is confusing, because it isn't really well explained in the product's documentation. 

If you look at the image I just posted, the ODAC output is going into another amplifier, not headphones.  

With the integrated O2+ODAC (in one case), the ODAC can simultaneously feed the built-in O2 and output a line-out signal through the front port. 

The ODAC's line-out output, through the front port in the integrated unit, should always go into an amplifier or powered speakers. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,764 of 5,671

If you get the O2+ODAC integrated unit (I have one built by Mayflower Electronics), the ODAC can serve as the DAC for the O2 while also outputting the line-out signal through the front port. This, I believe, should solve your problem.

I'm not sure if all O2+ODAC units work this way, but that's how the unit I have works. If it didn't, then a set-up like this (that's the O2+ODAC in the background), which includes a switch for A/B testing, wouldn't be possible:

ODAC performs best under a single load. To achieve published performance, we strongly discourage paralleled loads to ODAC. Properly customized assemblies allow ODAC to be disconnected from O2 when driving an external line-level device.

You can find connectivity advice in the JDS Labs O2+ODAC instructions.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,765 of 5,671
I'll buy from Italy. Is it simple to find?

At my knowledge their no Itlian assembler/distributor of ODAC/O² , in Europe their is :

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/    (U.K.) .

http://www.headnhifi.com/  (Switzerland)   use "weekly priority mail" as shipping to avoid eventual customs .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back