O2 AMP + ODAC
Sep 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,452 of 5,671
Sep 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #3,453 of 5,671
Got a standalone ODAC from JDS up for sale if anyone is looking, thanks.

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #3,455 of 5,671
  Guys,

I tried putting in my hd 600 out of ODAC and for my surprise the sound out loud, is that right?

It was not for the sound is low, because the ODAC has no amplification?

Thanks

Yep, it could be loud on headphones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Though, others may correct me, I don't think there is much current, so it may not sound very good.

Different make and model headphones have widely varying impedances, from a common low of 32 Ω to a few hundred ohms; the lowest of these will have results similar to a speaker, while the highest may work acceptably if the line out impedance is low enough and the headphones are sensitive enough.

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #3,456 of 5,671
  Guys,

I tried putting in my hd 600 out of ODAC and for my surprise the sound out loud, is that right?

It was not for the sound is low, because the ODAC has no amplification?

Thanks

it's normal that the sound is loud out of any DAC, they usually provide close to 2V for an amp input of a few thousand ohm.
now why you shouldn't do that:
-the output of a DAC is usually around 100/150ohm and I have no idea how the ODAC behaves when plugged into a load as low as a headphone.
-you'll have to reduce the volume with your computer, even if you're using 24bit output in foobar, you might very well end up crushing the least significant bits of your music.

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,457 of 5,671
  Yep, it could be loud on headphones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Though, others may correct me, I don't think there is much current, so it may not sound very good.

it's normal that the sound is loud out of any DAC, they usually provide close to 2V for an amp input of a few thousand ohm.
now why you shouldn't do that:
-the output of a DAC is usually around 100/150ohm and I have no idea how the ODAC behaves when plugged into a load as low as a headphone.
-you'll have to reduce the volume with your computer, even if you're using 24bit output in foobar, you might very well end up crushing the least significant bits of your music.

Thanks for help oryan and castle
smily_headphones1.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excuse me, but I have one more question ...

When I'm listening to music Birdy - Wings, at the beginning of the song has a distortion (0,00 to 0,27 sec), I do not know if it's my problem O2 or ODAC, or is a badly recorded music.

***UPDATE: I'm using this power supply with my O2, this is what is distorting the sound?

Broadxent AA-1675 (http://www.emtcompany.com/broadxent-aa-1675-ac-power-supply-charger-adapter/101318691.html)

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #3,459 of 5,671
  Question: Regarding the line out of Odac... is that the "input" hole on my Mayflower o2/odac? What is it used for exactly?

to make it simple, without usb that plug uses only the O2, and with USB it uses only the ODAC.
no USB it's an input and you plug another DAC into the O2, with USB you must use it as an output and it uses the ODAC to go into another amp. your choice.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,460 of 5,671

Thanks for help oryan and castle
smily_headphones1.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excuse me, but I have one more question ...

When I'm listening to music Birdy - Wings, at the beginning of the song has a distortion (0,00 to 0,27 sec), I do not know if it's my problem O2 or ODAC, or is a badly recorded music.

***UPDATE: I'm using this power supply with my O2, this is what is distorting the sound?

Broadxent AA-1675 (http://www.emtcompany.com/broadxent-aa-1675-ac-power-supply-charger-adapter/101318691.html)

That power supply is AC input, 16V DC output. According to the online specs:
  1. Input: 120V AC 60Hz 17W
  2. Output: 16V DC 750mA

That won't work at all for the O2. It requires an AC output to the O2. ~16VAC give or take.

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,461 of 5,671

That power supply is AC input, 16V DC output. According to the online specs:
  1. Input: 120V AC 60Hz 17W
  2. Output: 16V DC 750mA

That won't work at all for the O2. It requires an AC output to the O2. ~16VAC give or take.

I will buy a new power supply to see if it improves, will give my feedback here on the topic.

Thanks so much :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #3,464 of 5,671
  Hi all,

Can the o2+odac combo be safely used with a usb hub?

it might not give the ultimate performance if other USB devices use a lot of power, but there is no guaranty that your computer would yeld better result if the devices are plugged into another USB slot on the computer instead of being linked to the hub. if you're afraid or if you actually hear something "wrong" for some reasons, maybe a powered hub could actually improve things by delivering the right voltage that maybe your computer doesn't really offer. or the power supply of the powered hub could be the faulty one and add noises to the odac...
if you plan on being paranoid, the possibilities are endless ^_^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back