O2 AMP + ODAC
Mar 11, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #4,128 of 5,671
well he's still the one who created the O2 ^_^. and I know I found more audio answers in his blog than on any other website, so I recognize the hand that didn't try to feed me BS and will always be grateful. and TBH I didn't buy the O2 because I'm a fanboy(even though I clearly am by now), but because it was the only amp with extended measurements available outside of a few DIY projects.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #4,129 of 5,671
  well he's still the one who created the O2 ^_^. and I know I found more audio answers in his blog than on any other website, so I recognize the hand that didn't try to feed me BS and will always be grateful. and TBH I didn't buy the O2 because I'm a fanboy(even though I clearly am by now), but because it was the only amp with extended measurements available outside of a few DIY projects.

I agree his blog has ton of information about amps/dac. It was a fun read and very easy for me to understand all the things I need to know about amplifier.

It made me stop hanging out in the portable amp forums. If I'm not looking to get an HE-6, I would not be looking for any other amp than O2.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #4,130 of 5,671
So far I still think the O2+ODAC is best value for the price. It can't compete with (much) higher ranged amps (like the Aune S16 that I enjoy tremendously), but still, for that price. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,132 of 5,671
  So far I still think the O2+ODAC is best value for the price. It can't compete with (much) higher ranged amps (like the Aune S16 that I enjoy tremendously), but still, for that price. 

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying so I think I'm going to disagree with you. 

Are you trying to say that the Aune S 16 has audibly more resolution or sounds different than the O2+ODAC? 

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #4,133 of 5,671
It cant compete is quite a statement, how? In what ways??

Sonically?
Transparency?
Freq Response?
Power Output at what Impedance?
THD?
IM?
Cross Talk?
Connectability?
Versatilty?
Connections?
Feel Good?
Cosmetics?
Size?
Weight?

Alex

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #4,134 of 5,671

+1. Once you read his blog you'd understand completely why it ruffles so many feathers. It just screams lots of lost money...for the snake oils, that is...

Gotta disagree. I've tested and compared so many amps, including high-end ones, locally and abroad, and I've found none more transparent. Yeah, NONE.

Of course, if by "can't compete" you mean in terms of "sound likeability", that's entirely subjective as that's in the realm of non-transparency or coloration...:D Which of course O2 would be beaten easily...:D Peace bro...:)

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #4,135 of 5,671

Of course, if by "can't compete" you mean in terms of "sound likeability", that's entirely subjective as that's in the realm of non-transparency or coloration...
biggrin.gif
Which of course O2 would be beaten easily...
biggrin.gif
Peace bro...
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta wonder what you mean by "beaten easily" ?

And I gotta disagree that it would be, "Carver Challenge" style.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #4,136 of 5,671
Gotta wonder what you mean by "beaten easily" ?

And I gotta disagree that it would be, "Carver Challenge" style.

O2 would be beaten easily when it comes to who has the better coloration...:D

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,137 of 5,671
The thing is, I've never quite understood "transparency", but to me the S16 (as a DAC + amp) gives a more detailed and airy sound than the O2+ODAC that I own. Also, there's a feeling that it suffers from less noise and jitters. That's entirely subjective, of course, I can't prove it. I have never leaned too much on the technical side of things, but what I got told is that the S16 has better USB input (and better other components) than the O2+ODAC. Then again, people can customize their O2, so still there's stuffs for argument.

And don't get me wrong. As I said earlier, the O2+ODAC is still the best valued amp/dac that I've ever seen. Which means that if someone tells me to choose between the S16 and the O2+ODAC for free, I'd go with the S16. But is the S16 worth 2 times the price of the O2+ODAC (I can have the S16 for $500), then it's a big no. I also will have to buy an amp for the S16 too.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #4,138 of 5,671
  The thing is, I've never quite understood "transparency", but to me the S16 (as a DAC + amp) gives a more detailed and airy sound than the O2+ODAC that I own. Also, there's a feeling that it suffers from less noise and jitters. That's entirely subjective, of course, I can't prove it. I have never leaned too much on the technical side of things, but what I got told is that the S16 has better USB input (and better other components) than the O2+ODAC. Then again, people can customize their O2, so still there's stuffs for argument.

And don't get me wrong. As I said earlier, the O2+ODAC is still the best valued amp/dac that I've ever seen. Which means that if someone tells me to choose between the S16 and the O2+ODAC for free, I'd go with the S16. But is the S16 worth 2 times the price of the O2+ODAC (I can have the S16 for $500), then it's a big no. I also will have to buy an amp for the S16 too.

What headphones you use with S16?

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #4,139 of 5,671

Technically transparency means an amp is capable of reproducing the signal fed from it's input with almost exact shape when it comes out of the ouput (mostly with bigger amplitude). transparency usually is synonymous to accuracy.

Most people judge audio gear by ears alone which is definitely the least reliable way (but easily the most satisfying for majority.) Why? because everyone has a different reference of what a good sound is. Old folks who grew up with tubes and vinyl will have those gears as reference for good sound. Younger generations who grew up with MP3s normally would take something that sound louder as better.

Take your case for example, S16 in pure technical perspective is already flawed having a 30 ohm output impedance as mentioned earlier. It's been established that high OI affects the FR response of dynamic-driver based headphones at low load impedance like the grados which I can see you are using. (Look for "electrical damping" or simply damping factor)

I have nothing against you liking the amp for how it sounds like paired with your headphones. But as far as accuracy goes, the S16 definitely is not. 

Personally, having a transparent/accurate amp makes my life simple when choosing headphones because I am assured that what I hear is exactly what the headphone is designed for. Same goes with the source. I can hear exactly how the source was created mastered. It's both a curse and a gift because excellent source sounds equally excellent. Same goes with bad source (masters as well). All I need to know now is if the amp has enough power to drive my headphone well and not how the amp will affect the sound I hear.

If you look at the amp forums, you can see people spend a lot of time trying as many amp as possible. Then try as many headphone combinations. I'm not saying it's a bad thing because as a hobby it could be a very nice experience. Especially for people who has time. But I don't want to spend nor have a lot of time to spend looking for the gears I want.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #4,140 of 5,671
Technically transparency means an amp is capable of reproducing the signal fed from it's input with almost exact shape when it comes out of the ouput (most with bigger amplitude). transparency usually is synonymous to accuracy.

Most people judge audio gear by ears alone which is definitely the least reliable way (but easily the most satisfying for majority.) Why? because everyone has a different reference of what a good sound is. Old folks who grew up with tubes and vinyl will have those gears as reference for good sound. Younger generations who grew up with MP3s normally would take something that sound louder as better.

Take your case for example, S16 in pure technical perspective is already flawed having a 30 ohm output impedance as mentioned earlier. It's been established that high OI affects the FR response for dynamic-driver based headphones at low load impedance like the grados which I can see you are using.

I have nothing against you liking the amp for what it sound paired with your headphones. But as far as accuracy goes, the S16 definitely is not. 

Personally, having a transparent/accurate amp makes my life simple when choosing headphones because I am assured that what I hear is exactly what the headphone is designed for. Same goes with the source. I can hear esactly how the source was created mastered. It's both a curse and a gift because excellent source sounds equally excellent. Same goes with bad source (masters as well).

If you look at the amp forums, you can see people spend a lot of time trying as many amp as possible. Then try as many headphone combinations. I'm not saying it's a bad thing because as a hobby it could be a very nice experience. Especially for people who has time. But I don't want to spend nor have a lot of time to spend looking for the gears I want.

Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back