O2 AMP + ODAC
Jan 9, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3,856 of 5,671
"but for a headphone user it's usually more simple than that, you always go with the lower gain and only ever change up when you can't get the headphone loud enough with the volume knob."

That's the part I already knew. Thanks for the rest. And before pulled the trigger I made sure to carefully scrutinize the aforementioned guy's webpage, along with the comments. It was eye-opening, to say the least and the conclusion I distilled was the one I quoted you for here. Yet, I'm still amazed how loud my HD800 gets even at low gain, I can't help it.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,858 of 5,671
Hi, I see I can change buffer size in foobar, but how do I change buffer timing? Also, shoud I set windows driver to 24bit?

buffer length is in ms so it's a timing ^_^. we all suggested the same thing. does that change anything for your noises? (except that the song starts later with a huge buffer obviously)

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #3,859 of 5,671

buffer length is in ms so it's a timing ^_^. we all suggested the same thing. does that change anything for your noises? (except that the song starts later with a huge buffer obviously)

Hi, at the moment I find things to be perfectly fine. I increased the buffer and also set fade-in and fade-out to about 300ms. I've been using my phones for more than 1 hours and so far no problem.

Once again thank you guys a whole lot.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #3,862 of 5,671
[suited name="lehoang15tuoi" url="/t/616331/o2-amp-odac/3855#post_11257210"]Guys what value should I set for the buffer on foobar? Is it "the more the merrier"? Can the ODAC be overloaded or something?
[/quote]

In my experience, the smaller the buffer the better. With my ODAC I use at work I've set the buffer in Foobar to the smallest size (50ms IIRC) as this eliminates the pops and clicks I was getting previously.

Note: Foobar with wasapi in event mode.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,864 of 5,671
  Guys what value should I set for the buffer on foobar? Is it "the more the merrier"? Can the ODAC be overloaded or something?

I leave it at the default. Everything is fine. Is there a way for you to reset all Foobar settings back to default and try again? I have no idea what may be causing your clicks and pops. Is it just Foobar and not any other player?

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #3,865 of 5,671
  Guys what value should I set for the buffer on foobar? Is it "the more the merrier"? Can the ODAC be overloaded or something?

it depends on the computer and how many programs are running at the same time. there are no magic value the audiophile can cling onto as the golden number of bettererer sound.
I have 120ms, but there is a pretty wide range of values that are "popless"^_^ for me when changing songs or after some hours of play. just try something, if it works then it works. or you can go warrior on the problem and follow the idea behind that explanation http://www.head-fi.org/t/539638/how-to-set-perfect-buffer-lengths

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,866 of 5,671
Just felt like Congratulating the O2/ODAC today.

I've been listening to the Realtek 892 on a new motherboard for a week or so, finding it to be an excellent source overall. No noise detectable through the 02, which was a first for my experiences with computer audio. It didn't drive the HE-400 headphones nearly as well as the O2, which clearly gave them better bass and "punch". But as a source it works very well.

But going back to the ODAC its amazing at how easily I can detect the added resolution and "bite" in my music. It truly is an excellent 2-channel solution and it really is a cut above even the excellent Realtek chips these days.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #3,867 of 5,671
 it depends on the computer and how many programs are running at the same time. there are no magic value the audiophile can cling onto as the golden number of bettererer sound.
I have 120ms, but there is a pretty wide range of values that are "popless"^_^ for me when changing songs or after some hours of play. just try something, if it works then it works. or you can go warrior on the problem and follow the idea behind that explanation http://www.head-fi.org/t/539638/how-to-set-perfect-buffer-lengths
Thanks for thelink. I really appreciate it. Will try when I get home

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3,868 of 5,671
Leaving the standalone O2 plugged in while it's powered off, how much power does it draw? I assume it occasionally draws power when the battery charge naturally trickles down. Maybe pennies worth a year?

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3,870 of 5,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back