NYC Spring 2011 Meet March 19th Impressions and Pictures
Mar 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #91 of 127
Mar 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #92 of 127
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who made this meet possible. Glas I made it after missing it for the last ~2 years. Thanks telica for awesome awesome brownies. I had a great time, now back to studying :frowning2:

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #93 of 127
Quote:
Hey Jimmy, hope you feel better.
They are mine. Remind me before the next NYC meet and I'l bring them out again. Or PM me and I'l ship them to you, just bring them back to the next meet...

Thanks for the well-wishes & the offer, Ari - much appreciated. I am progressing well. Will let you know about the F1's. Thanks again.

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who made this meet possible. Glas I made it after missing it for the last ~2 years.

Wow Jin, you were there? Would have been nice to see you, AND to meet Doug & see/hear his ECS gear. Oh well...next time!

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #94 of 127

Quote:

I feel like poo for forgetting your name/handle but thanks to the guy who brought ath-M50's. I had wanted to hear them for a while. Not bad for $100.

No worries, that was me.  I'm a meet noob and new to the area, but you'll see me again.

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #95 of 127

Quote:
By far the best setup at the meet, hands down.

Not biased at all I'm sure 
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #96 of 127
I did take some pictures and looked good on them.  You were a natural at running the auction--which wasn't at all silent most times.  You are an impressive human being, which became all the more evident when you actually returned my TWagged Qualias in the condition borrowed.  They are a unique piece of headphone history but need good--preferably balanced amplification and the TWag cable to make them really fly.

Perhaps I'll bring some of my electrostatic gear with me next time and won't limit myself to dynamics and planars (HE6).

It was really a pleasure to meet with a lot of you who came to my humble table and faced the Bird.

And in case you haven't yet heard:

Many thanks to Warp08 for bringing awesome headphones. They were GREAT! It really just made me want Qualias more. 

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #97 of 127
Its mine.
I think the brand is "road ready" but I doubt there is much difference between cases for the relatively gentle treatment they will receive from me or most audiophiles. I picked this one because it was $30 less than anything else after shipping (I did buy it used, but I think that just adds character and you dont freak out as bad the first time you bash it into a door frame - which you will do the first time you try to carry it through a door). I kept strong tabs on craigslist too, but this was STILL cheaper! Hindsight being 20/20 the whole rack-mount front end may not be such a great idea. Im happy with the functionality of the units, and the whole thing is very easy to move from place to place, but extremely heavy.

Aww, and I was going to go full rack for the next meet. Rack with the Denon, Opus DAC, power conditioner, and M^3 in Par Metal cases. At 6u plus though, I bet it would weigh a ton indeed.

I'd be all for an upstate Mini-Meet, but I'm afraid I can't be much help with any sort of planning.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #98 of 127
If you're willing to come 'downstate' don't forget there's a Philadelphia Suburbs mini-meet in May.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #99 of 127
That was a fun meet! It was an interesting combination of extremely high-end gear. I was surprised to see so many othrodynamics taking the place of what would normally be Senn HD600, Grado HP-1000, Beyer DT880 rigs, etc...I feel like an old man listening to my dynamics!

As always, the NYC meet featured some great eats (excluding the fast food across the way). Brownie Lady's chocolates were out in full force with an expanded smorgasbord of pure chocolately awesomeness! And a fantastic dinner at a great diner to top it all off (although to be honest I don't think they liked us nearly as much as we liked them).

Highlights for me were hearing Kerry's amp with Fang's EF500's (match made in heaven), hearing Ultimate Ears 10's, 16's, and getting to hear the JH13's as well (all three were nearly perfect, imo), Hearing Ari's Sony F1's and being really surprised at the fact that they don't suck, although not thinking they're quite as amazing as he thinks, and talking to everyone!

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #100 of 127
My first headphone meet but a veteran of many other audio meets.  Thanks to everyone involved - much appreciated - so nice of you to do this just so a bunch of hobbyists could get together, share some good conversation and comraderie, see and hear some fine gear and learn a few things too.  I'm actually in one of the pictures - guess we'll all be world famous now!

Though I had to leave a bit early to catch a train back, I did get a chance to hear the things that I really came to the meet for - the new planar headphones - and to hear them versus my HD800's that I brought along.  From all the discussion and praise, maybe I expected too much, and of course they varied by model and type of music playing, but on balance I think I preferred my HD800 with their almost electrostatic purity.  And I'm a planar guy overall, with Magnepans for the last 18 years, including 2 pairs of 3.6s.  Strange that the dynamic headphone was more planar than the planars, which sounded more like dynamics to me.  Still, it was hard to do a really good comparison over just a few minutes in a large room with people in it so I expect at some point that I'll also get either the LCD-2 or HE-500 to try for awhile.  Either way, can't lose!

Thanks again to the organizers, displayers and the friendly people who attended.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #101 of 127
Thanks to all who set up and ran the meet.  Lots of great gear and what a selection of headphones.  It seems every time I go to a meet I leave with a new favorite.  I got to spend time with quite a few and this time there was just something special about the HD800.  I'm not a Senn fan, but the sound and fit of the 800's, at least to me, is like no other Senn.  Absolutely fantastic.
Again, thanks for a great meet.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #102 of 127
PeterP: I just wanted to say that I loved listening to your setup. Your amp was really awesome sounding, not to mention beautiful with those tubes, and I had really wanted to get some headtime with the Beyer DT880s. Thanks to you the DT880s are still in the running for me future desktop setup. Also I really liked your passive gain box, it was a world of difference between running the headphones through and and without it. I will consider this in the future when I actually have an amp to hook one of those to.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #103 of 127
What is a "passive gain box "?

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #104 of 127
I never was considering buying an amp but after I heard Peter's great sounding tube amp I now in between Little Dot MKIII and Schiit Valhala especially since it uses old Soviet tubes but since I never heard either one i'm not sure which one is better for HD650 with Moon Audio Blue Dragon Version 3 cable. But I really wish I could afford Peter's amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back