NYC Spring 2011 Meet March 19th Impressions and Pictures
Mar 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 127

LiqTenExp

100+ Head-Fier
Here are some pictures from todays meet.  I should have brought my flash with me but forgot it on the way out the door.  Enjoy. The Nikon Camera guys had it in for me so I am lucky to make it out of there alive, jk!

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 127
*Drool*

I spot Ari's rack case, and wish I had one.
Keep the pictures coming, so I can live vicariously through all of you.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 127
Meet was awesome!  It was my first too.  sphinxvc, you've got a great desktop setup going, thanks for letting me listen!

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 127
Just wanted to thank all the people involved in making this meet possible. I had a wonderful time listening to all the different setups. Made my wallet cringe a little 
biggrin.gif
. I thought the Red Wine Isabellina was the best amp for the LCD-2 BY FAR and the Woo-Audio 22 made my LAs sing. My concerto was put to shame in comparison 
eek.gif
. The Woo-Audio 22 is definitely my next purchase.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 127
It was nice to see so many new faces and make so many new friends. It's also nice to see old friends. Too many didn't make it to this meet, and there seemed to be fewer people than we're used to. Nikongod stepped up and played auctioneer. I brought about a dozen old cans (I mean really old, like telecom and WW2 aviation style) and about 2 dozen horror movies. One lucky member took home the complete Planet of the Apes on DVD for a $10 donation, and another member donated $15 for Dark City that retails for $8, but it's all for a good cause. I took home a tv that fang (head-direct) donated, and a huge pile of Telica's brownies. The highlight of the meet was the Spanish Gypsy Funeral Marching Band playing bagpipes and chanting acapela. That and dinner. Didn't get a chance to do much else, since I got there so late and immediately went to work setting up the for the auction.

Thanks to Nikongod for calling the auction. Thanks to immtbiker & family for preparing, hosting, and baking. Thanks to fang for the ride. Thanks to all the members new and old that helped make a fun and interesting meet.

LiqTenExp, cool pictures. (And nice to meet you.) Did you know there was a second room? All the pictures seem to be from just one room.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 127
School got in the way this time around, but I'm determined to make the next one!

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 127
Thanks for making this happen!  I had a great time and learned a lot.  Impressions to follow when i've had a chance to digest, but Top Sound at the show was definitely between the Red Wine Audio and the Woo WA22. 

Some pics...

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 127

Hey,

I thought I had a good balance of both rooms????  I noticed a lot of my pictures were under exposed and realize now that i had the LCD brightness on my display cranked from my trip to Jamaica.  Should have trusted the meter more....probably will go back in later and see if I can straighten some of them out....
Quote:
It was nice to see so many new faces and make so many new friends. It's also nice to see old friends. Too many didn't make it to this meet, and there seemed to be fewer people than we're used to. Nikongod stepped up and played auctioneer. I brought about a dozen old cans (I mean really old, like telecom and WW2 aviation style) and about 2 dozen horror movies. One lucky member took home the complete Planet of the Apes on DVD for a $10 donation, and another member donated $15 for Dark City that retails for $8, but it's all for a good cause. I took home a tv that fang (head-direct) donated, and a huge pile of Telica's brownies. The highlight of the meet was the Spanish Gypsy Funeral Marching Band playing bagpipes and chanting acapela. That and dinner. Didn't get a chance to do much else, since I got there so late and immediately went to work setting up the for the auction.

Thanks to Nikongod for calling the auction. Thanks to immtbiker & family for preparing, hosting, and baking. Thanks to fang for the ride. Thanks to all the members new and old that helped make a fun and interesting meet.

LiqTenExp, cool pictures. (And nice to meet you.) Did you know there was a second room? All the pictures seem to be from just one room.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 127
More Pics!

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 127
And one more set...

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 127
nice pictures.  I spent most of my time playing with my new camera.  It's my first DSLR and still am getting used to it.  Couple more meets and I'll have the low lighting thing down.

I really enjoyed listening to the LCD-2s with the Asgard Lyr and RedWine Isabellina.  

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 127
Excellent meet as always.  Thanks again Aaron!

I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I normally do, but I'll post up a few later on after I edit them.

My meet impressions:
LCD-2:  This was my goal, to hear these little gems.  Short answer, yes they are worth 950$us.  ^_^
Leesure was nice enough to let me try them in my setup for a good while near the start.  A similar sound signature to the O2, but a little bit less airy sounding in my setup.  I would certainly need to take home a pair to come up with any solid comparisons.  I was debating purchasing a pair.  After doing a short A/B comparison I've decided to stick with the O2 mk1's.

I will also say that I've read quite a few people saying "ohhh, you need massive amounts of power to drive them properly".  Bull.  I heard the LCD-2 out of Dougs G-lite combo, and they sounded great.  Either that's a testament to the G-lite, or a confirmation that I think some people get paranoid over the last 1%.

Mike from UE was nice enough to let me try the UE 7 and 18 customs with universal plugs.  The UE7 were very non offensive, but I found it lacking the clarity I've become used to.  The step up to the UE18 fixed that, being a pretty much solid improvement all around for me.  At my current situation I could not personally justify the price for them (content with my little 30$ RE2's), but I am glad to see that IEM's have made great leaps and bounds over what was available just a few years ago in the audiophile community.

HE6 sounded nice on the Woo Family's setup.

I'm reminded that the HD800 do instrumentals amazingly well.

Ari was nice enough to let me try his 14mm F/2.8 lens.  What a fun lens!  I've always wanted the nikkor 24mm prime for landscapes, but 14mm is quite unique as well.  Perfect field of view for today's meet.

Douglas of ECP audio had some impressive looking products.  Looks like some time was put into creating them.  Very interesting.

And lastly, it was always fun to meet other people who share a passion for music.  My apologies to all those I met but can't specifically recall the names of.

Yikes and Ray were dearly missed.  The meets were literally half as quite with these two omissions. 

Fun fun fun!

PS:  Thank you to all those who commented on the headphone stand I built.  I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back