NYC Spring 2011 Meet March 19th Impressions and Pictures
Mar 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #106 of 127

Quote:
What is a "passive gain box "?

Sound Shocker Pro is a transformer which provides impedance matching from a headphone output to a AUX input.  The impedance match results in about +20dB gain with a bandwidth of -0.5dB 20Hz to 20KHz.  It was initially designed to provide a boost for mp3 players, phones, laptops, (anything with a headphone output) when plugged into the AUX input in a car.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #107 of 127

Quote:

Not biased at all I'm sure 
wink.gif

Yes, I'm 100% biased.

Getting back to your initial post though, sadly not many people listened to my setup. 
I don't know why, but no matter what gear I bring not many people pay attention to my setup at meets.  Maybe I just have a boring setup.  
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #109 of 127

Quote:
Yes, I'm 100% biased.

Getting back to your initial post though, sadly not many people listened to my setup. 
I don't know why, but no matter what gear I bring not many people pay attention to my setup at meets.  Maybe I just have a boring setup.  
frown.gif

It's not that. No one wants to bother your parents. 
smile.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #110 of 127

Quote: Hey Drew, Most Headfiers have dynamic headphones, and are not set up for electrostatics. That could be the reason. I gave your system a good listen just because I never heard Stax phones before. I thought your system was right there with any of the other top gear at the meet.
Yes, I'm 100% biased.

frown.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #111 of 127
Totally agree with lofty cause I never heard Stax before but read a lot in the magazines so was very interested to hear knowing I can't afford one it sounds great while I was unable to hear anything special in LCD-2,other headphones sounded to me much much better

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #112 of 127
Mar 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #113 of 127
Next time, plant them in a different part of the room and see if you yield different results. I know that I didn't wan't to invade their space.
OTOH, you are very fortunate to have loving parents that were willing to drive you from New England, and sit patiently through 7 hours of madness.
They seem very old school and supportive. They are are a pleasure to have, and without them you couldn't come, so I am thankful.
Just buy them some Fred Astaire dance lessons on Bell Blvd. to help them pass the time (not that they don't seem content).But I personally felt I was invading their space and your rig listening sessions might have taken a hit for that. IMHO.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #115 of 127

Quote:
His dad seemed to enjoy my music collection 
biggrin.gif
 He was able to hog my music for a couple hours until it got a little crowded.

This is an understatement.
My dad told me he loved going through your music and remembering songs he hasn't heard in ages!  I think it made his day.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #116 of 127

Quote:
Next time, plant them in a different part of the room and see if you yield different results. I know that I didn't wan't to invade their space.
OTOH, you are very fortunate to have loving parents that were willing to drive you from New England, and sit patiently through 7 hours of madness.
They seem very old school and supportive. They are are a pleasure to have, and without them you couldn't come, so I am thankful.
Just buy them some Fred Astaire dance lessons on Bell Blvd. to help them pass the time (not that they don't seem content).But I personally felt I was invading their space and your rig listening sessions might have taken a hit for that. IMHO.

Hm, that's an interesting perspective I didn't consider.  Next time I'll try that.
And yes you are right, my family and I are very close.
Though, I finally purchased my first car so I could have came even if they didn't want to go.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #117 of 127

Quote:

Hm, that's an interesting perspective I didn't consider.  Next time I'll try that.
And yes you are right, my family and I are very close.
Though, I finally purchased my first car so I could have came even if they didn't want to go.

Congrats on your first car!

FWIW, I've always made a point of listening to your setups because they seem to be very well planned and thought out.  You get tremendous synergy from your rigs and they are always a pleasure to listen to.

As far as your parents go, to me they are just another couple of Head-Fiers at this point.  I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek but in the case of your father I think it's actually true.  Heck, he's even building headphone stands.  If he were posting here he's have to be listed as a MOT!

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #118 of 127

Quote:
Congrats on your first car!

FWIW, I've always made a point of listening to your setups because they seem to be very well planned and thought out.  You get tremendous synergy from your rigs and they are always a pleasure to listen to.

As far as your parents go, to me they are just another couple of Head-Fiers at this point.  I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek but in the case of your father I think it's actually true.  Heck, he's even building headphone stands.  If he were posting here he's have to be listed as a MOT!

Thanks Erik!  That's very kind of you to say that.

Quote:
If he were posting here he's have to be listed as a MOT!

Ha. I've tried to show him Head-Fi and how to use it.  He's not the best when it comes to using computers sadly, and head-fi still confuses him.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #119 of 127

Quote:
Yes, I'm 100% biased.

frown.gif

Your setup seemed fine to me.   But you forgot to bring a chicken...:)

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #120 of 127

Quote:
Your setup seemed fine to me.   But you forgot to bring a chicken...:)

I would much rather bring grumpy kitty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back