NYC June 4, 2006 Minimeet - Jaybar's Pad!
Jun 5, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
Do most or all of you guys prefer your electrostates to K1000s?

I don't, fwiw.

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Do most or all of you guys prefer your electrostates to K1000s? If so, what do the electrostates do better? BTW: I've never heard electrostats, so I'm interested to know your thoughts.

After hearing those, I still don't really like electrostats as much as dynamic headphones I've heard. The O2 didn't really impress me though... I really expected more out of it. The lower end was so unfocused...

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Do most or all of you guys prefer your electrostates to K1000s? If so, what do the electrostates do better? BTW: I've never heard electrostats, so I'm interested to know your thoughts.

Electrostatics to me have more detail especially in the treble. It sounds less congested. They have a greater possibility of becoming invisible also.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The SRX was normal bias so couldn't be plugged into Egmont since that is only Pro Bias.

The HE60 also had a weird clicking noise after about 20 or so minutes in the Egmont so that wasn't used beyond that.

Curses.

Someone get out a screwdriver and change the bias on it!
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #50 of 57
At the moment, Lambda Pro is my favorite. I especially liked the way Jahn had it set up at the Nat'l Meet. As he mused, we'll have to get special dispensation -- from his muse -- to hear his Lambda Pro with his Tower of Power ... close up and personal.
lambda.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
This seems like a really cool meet and a very nice report. I wish I knew what the hell you guys were talking about! I've never heard any of these rigs or headphones!

Cool pics though. I'm shocked at the poor hornet impressions. What were the cans that made it sound good? Jason, what are the cans that you think sound good out of the SR-71?

J.

I think I need more time to figure out what cans sound good with Hornet, but I have had good experiences so far with the K 701 and the Byer DT880's. With the SR-71, it truly shines with IEM like the Shure E5c, Sensaphonics 2X-S, and I suspect the Westone UM2. I like the SR-71 plenty with HD6x0, but that's in the context that it's a fine solid state amp for those cans. I've come to the conclusion I'm not that impressed by solid state amps for HD6x0.

Heh, yeah, I didn't know anything about most of these electrostats a year ago. I knew the Omega 2 and 404 obviously. It's been a lot of fun exploring.

Best,

-Jason

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #52 of 57
I'm getting slammed here. Can't quite write anything else yet.

So.... when's the next meet?
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #53 of 57
i got the heat for coming an hour and a half late back home. let's just say my next minimeet might be the Summer NYC meet, whenever that is!

and as mentioned above, the Lambdas definitely can kick out the jams with the way I thread it at home, which is by using the Melos as a hybrid tube preamp. smoooooth, no etch here!

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
Let me know when the next meet is.

Jay

Maybe it's time to start one in the other subforum. Off I go!

Jun 9, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
jaybar (and company) how long do you think the SR404 needs to charge for? I'll soon have a SR404/SRM313 combination.

jahn I must say I'm very intrigued by The Burninator, sounds like an awesome portable headphone

Yep, very happy with it, it Burninated all Bose at the Apple Store today!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back