NYC June 4, 2006 Minimeet - Jaybar's Pad!
Jun 5, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #31 of 57
Arrrrgggh. There are a bunch of comments I'd like to add, but need to sleep for early jury duty -- and of course can't log in from the courthouse -- not even a cellphone -- must check camera cellphones at the lobby desk!
blink.gif

See ya Monday eve.
lambda.gif
orphsmile.gif
gs1000.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
It's over. I sense a disturbance in the Force....

Yes.. I've actually woken up from a nap now.
biggrin.gif
Let me reassemble my rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Lan -- I already forgot which tubes you put into the Egmon to replace the Sovtek ECC83/12AX7 and National Electronic (Russia) 6SN7GTB that we disliked. Your 6SN7s were ____ mfr.?, and was it Electro Harmonix front end triodes? 12AX7? Fill in please. Thanks.

6SN7s were electroharmonix and we used JJ ECC99.

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #33 of 57
Hmm.

I've been listening to the SR-X all evening (while writing posts/doing minor touch up to the photos). I just switched to the SA5000 with the Grace m902.

I should have brought the SA5000 to compare it with the SR-404. They're similar yet different and the contrast would have been interesting. Oh well, next time...

Best,

-Jason

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #35 of 57
An HE60, Omega II, SR-X, and Egmont in the same room!? Curses being stuck down here on the dag end of the world.

Anyone try the SR-X from the Egmont?

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
What is meant by a Darth Grado?

Jay

It's a modified Grado. Jahn's HP2 has those custom ear pads and recable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
An HE60, Omega II, SR-X, and Egmont in the same room!? Curses being stuck down here on the dag end of the world.

The SRX was normal bias so couldn't be plugged into Egmont since that is only Pro Bias.

The HE60 also had a weird clicking noise after about 20 or so minutes in the Egmont so that wasn't used beyond that.

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl

Heh, I'll switch places with you... I really like NZ. Lots of sheep though... maybe too many sheep.

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #38 of 57
Unbelievable but I'm still awake
biggrin.gif

My HE60s are fine. Whew! I ended up tweaking HEV70 some and ended up listening for a while. Anyway There must be something off with that Egmont and my headphones as they just were not compatible.

I need another nap and I'll write up a recap of this event.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Unbelievable but I'm still awake
biggrin.gif

My HE60s are fine. Whew! I ended up tweaking HEV70 some and ended up listening for a while. Anyway There must be something off with that Egmont and my headphones as they just were not compatible.

I need another nap and I'll write up a recap of this event.

You are so selectively nocturnal.

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #40 of 57
This seems like a really cool meet and a very nice report. I wish I knew what the hell you guys were talking about! I've never heard any of these rigs or headphones!

Cool pics though. I'm shocked at the poor hornet impressions. What were the cans that made it sound good? Jason, what are the cans that you think sound good out of the SR-71?

J.

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
This seems like a really cool meet and a very nice report. I wish I knew what the hell you guys were talking about! I've never heard any of these rigs or headphones!

Cool pics though. I'm shocked at the poor hornet impressions. What were the cans that made it sound good? Jason, what are the cans that you think sound good out of the SR-71?

J.

I think the reasoning for the 701 sounding good out of the Hornet was this:

Both have artificial sounds, IE they do not bear the timbre of the instrument playing, and can sound very plasticky. This means that the Hornet didn't interfere with the timbre on the 701... you can't kill what isn't there.

The 701 can be very lean sounding, and benefits from some of the artificial meat that the Hornet slathers over anything it touches.

So, basically you don't end up with a "hi-fi" setup, but a rather pleasing euphonic experience.

I might be wrong though, I didn't listen to the combo myself... I'm just regurgitating Jason's words and doing a little bit of creative adding up of the facts.

Regardless, I can't imagine paying the asking price of a Hornet for that particular sound.

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
Am I right in assuming this was a mostly electrostatic meet, though?

Was there mostly listening or chatting?

Yeah, the main show was definitely the electrostats. The dynamic setups were really just a side thing... I brought mine with my PPA just so I could have a dynamic headphone to compare to the electrostats. We also just happened to have a lot of portables on hand, nearly all Romanee's (though I think some were on loan).

There was certainly a lot of listening, I think a little more listening than we did at your place a while ago... but still chatting as usual about everything.

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yeah, the main show was definitely the electrostats.

Do most or all of you guys prefer your electrostates to K1000s? If so, what do the electrostates do better? BTW: I've never heard electrostats, so I'm interested to know your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back