NYC June 4, 2006 Minimeet - Jaybar's Pad!
Jun 4, 2006 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Jay was very gracious to invite some of the NYC crew over to Brooklyn to gasp at his gigantic Vinyl collection and Rega P9 TT (did I get that right?) Plus, he fed us some tasty hot wings and coke, which are like manna and ambrosia to me! I had to come home early since it's babysittin' time, so I totally missed hearing the Omega II, HE60, 404s, Edgmont, etc etc etc...

But later I'll post impressions of the STAX SR-X vs. Lambda Pros (using the modded DAC-ah and SRM-1/MKII, which had both pro and normal bias outputs) and the HP2 Darth Grados versus the GS1000 (i loved this comparo, lots good stuff to mine here!)

Oh, and I wasn't liking the K701. The DT880 (new version) had good coherent bass, but not as much detail as the big boy Grados there. And the Burninator flamed everyone down with its ginormous midbass
basshead.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 57
Way too lazy to tell you about Bozebutton's/JJCha's STAX SR-X and my Lambda Pros from the SRM-1/MKII from the modded DAC-ah from some crazy portable Sony DVD player's optical out, so I'll cheat and just agree with the below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
Radiohead:OK Computer (EMI)

Another split decision with me preferring some aspects of the 404 and others on the X-III. It depends what you want. If you want to hear the studio control desk feed the X-III does just this; but if you simply prefer to wallow in the music without caring whether it's reproducing accurately what the mikes are picking up then the 404 may well be more your bag.

The 404's sound bigger with deeper and more prominent bass while the X-III's always sound a trifle small and unenveloping by comparison. However, interestingly enough the instruments in the main don't individually sound any bigger with the 404. What happens is that there's a large cavernous space in which the instruments appear as small parts of a larger canvas. With the X-III the instruments are as large for the most part but they appear as discrete entities with their own individual acoustic haloes. The larger acoustic space just isn't there in anything like the same degree.

The individual instruments, however, sound significantly more solid, tangible, and present with the X-III. The sense of "liveness" comes across in a way the 404 can't match. The latter never sounds really "physical"; it softens everything, even closely-miked instruments, and loses that sense of listening to instruments made of solid materials, weighing in some cases hundreds of pounds. Everything sounds ghostly and intangible. I'll add that this may be a source of attraction to many listeners because there's a delicacy and refinement to the sound that can be very addictive.

The X-III is much more present and closer in balance and considerably more up-front and "in your face". However, it still preserves its equanimity, never sounding harsh or metallic and only occasionally betraying itself with a mild "shoutiness". The 404 never shouts but it leans to the wispy and scratchy side in its presentation of the high percussive sounds on the Radiohead CD. Despite its close-up view of these instruments, it still never makes them sound substantial. Cymbals, scrapers, and bells sound "processed", as though they're produced by synthesizers rather than by actual physical objects. The X-III has a lot more "metal" with metallic percussive instruments but still sounds a trifle softened with the 006t amp. Stats for my money don't do the top end very realistically although they can sound magically ethereal in this region. I'd take a good ribbon any day for high frequencies.

Another area where the X-III scores is tone-colour. Instruments shine - in an almost literal sense - whereas the 404 loses their lustre and makes them sound homogenized and "grey" by comparison. It's as if you're listening to the instruments out in the sunshine with the X-III but inside a room with its muted and darkened colours with the 404. Guitars ring and sparkle through the X-III but lose their clarion aspect when heard through the 404. Instruments sound misty and diffuse with an ersatz incisiveness through the 404, this incisiveness being the notorious Lamba "etch". I say "ersatz" because the incisiveness is less a matter of increased resolution than undue high-frequency prominence. In fact, the 404 has less resolution and differentiation than the X-III. Subtle effects are more evident through the older phone while they tend to be slightly smeared and homogenized on the 404.

The X-III is rhythmically faster, in fact more of a rock 'n' roll phone in almost every way than the 404. It has more propulsion and percussiveness, and drives the music along in a way that the 404 can't match. The latter is far more laid-back and relaxed but this vice turns into a virtue on the slower, more spacious songs. Songs like "Exit Music" have a spaciousness and grandeur that the X-III can only aspire to.

Another area in which the 404 reigns supreme is macro-dynamics. It simply expands with the great climaxes. The X-III doesn't give up or struggle for breath but it just never gives the same sense of massiveness. It just stops giving at a certain point.

Verdict: X-III A Minus
404 B Plus

The biggest advantage the X had over the Lambdas was the percussive impact. However, all else in the electrostatic world i would give the nod to the Lambdas - space, detail, separation, placement, extension, etc... and honestly what the X gives you, my HP2 will say "hey, that's MY job!" and do it better. I know Jason preferred the speed of the X's electrostatics coupled with what I would call dynamic advantages, but honestly Grados never had a problem with speed with me, and my HP2 gives a smoother warmer punch without feeling slow, in my opinion.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 57
I just ate. Now it's time for ice cream.

The SRX vs. Lambda pro isn't finished yet. The question is SRX using the transformer and another amp.....

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 57
Time for my fave part of the minimeet - the GS1K versus the Darth Grados. The funny thing is, it didn't matter if it was through an ipod to a bithead, or from a modded overture DAC to a PPA (we didn't have better for the dynamic shootout, blame us for not bringing an extra power strip!) the differences were still apparent.

In a nutshell, the GS1K is a beast. That bass is just a shock after coming from the HP2, which I admit doesn't seem to have the same frequency extension down under. And such a reference-quality bass (unlike the growling Burninator, a commerically appropriate portable non-one-note booming bass). I admit, I still enjoy the highs of the HP2, because i felt it gave even more detail than the GS1k up top while being more "real" - which is quite a feat, since the GS1K is no slouch here, and can get up to SA5K high freqs without panting. the mids are the hands down winner on the HP2 - sweet and soulful and REAL and beautiful. the GS1K is NOT "sucked out" or dry, it's just not a Joe Grado midrange, which isn't anything to be ashamed about - for instance the GS1K's mids are of far better quality than the K701's, which was really "off" in a distasteful way I couldn't put my finger on - sorry folks, no fancy terminology for this one.

Both of these cans seemed to have enough comfort for our host, Jay, which is nice to hear since he was a RS-1 owner before but got rid of it due to comfort issues. The CPads and Bagel pads are no joke - you can keep em on for hours with no problems folks!

Jason snapped a few pics - so they're coming folks, be patient! Thanks again to Jay - man I'm jealous, you guys probably stayed for 3 more hours and had amazing eargasms after i left again, didn't you?
mad.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I just ate. Now it's time for ice cream.

The SRX vs. Lambda pro isn't finished yet. The question is SRX using the transformer and another amp.....

im very tempted to boot the wife and kid from the house somehow to throw a minimeet here, so you guys can hear the tower of power in ideal conditions. when the Melos acts as a preamp for the STAX amp, man, it's perfect synergy. no etchiness, even with the ultra-revealing cardas neutral reference ICs in there between the DAC and Melos!

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 57
From now on, I will call Jahn's HP2 only one thing.

DTMSQ.
Delicious textured midrange of the sweetest quality.

We had an interesting shoot-out of portable amps here too... Romanee's portaphile (the new version) sounded spectacular. Clear and just so detailed, it blew me away. The Hornet, however, sounded absolutely abysmal. Nothing sounded correct... all plastic. Slow and sludgy too.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 57
crap i missed hearing the lastest Portaphile, i knew i forgot something! if it was only rechargeable and had a power switch in the front, i'd be all over it!

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
crap i missed hearing the lastest Portaphile, i knew i forgot something! if it was only rechargeable and had a power switch in the front, i'd be all over it!

I think it had both of those things...

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
We had an interesting shoot-out of portable amps here too... Romanee's portaphile (the new version) sounded spectacular. Clear and just so detailed, it blew me away. The Hornet, however, sounded absolutely abysmal. Nothing sounded correct... all plastic. Slow and sludgy too.

What associated equipment are you using for the comparisions? Source? Cable? Headphone?

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 57
Thanks Guys for coming.

It would be great if someone comments on the O2's vs the 404's.

Also, everyone was amazed at the effects of the little Ayre wood blocks.... Comments?

I was very impressed with the GS 1000's and would love to hear them with a reference quality amp.

I was impressed with the Efmont. It did improve the O's over the Stax 717, but I still feel very conflicted about the O2's To me, the 404's have too much in the presence region,while the O2'sa have too little.

Comments on the wood blocks or on the O2/404 or both?

Jay

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
What associated equipment are you using for the comparisions? Source? Cable? Headphone?

For this one, we used:

A 4th Gen iPod, a 5th gen iPod, Lan's Rio thingy for sources.

Two different cables: Both from iPod Lineout... mine was silver tinned copper, Romanee's was silver. Not sure which IC was used for the Rio, I think it was a silver cable, not sure the brand.

Headphones: GS1000, Beyerdynamic DT880 (newer model), K701.

Interestingly, I think Jason liked the K701 combined with the Hornet.

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

I think it had both of those things...

wazza? *googles to look*

sorry jaybar, i didn't stick around long enough to hear those!

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

From now on, I will call Jahn's HP2 only one thing.

DTMSO.

Dark the Moon Side Of?

Sure thing Yoda.
biggrin.gif

My fav rig today was my modded Overture, Portaphile, K701. The sound was the most integrated.

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Which egmont was it?

It was the normal one i believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back