NYC Brooklyn 10/14/06 - STAX ATTAX
Oct 15, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #16 of 48
Sidebar to Jahn: saw "Paprika" by Satoshi Kon at NYFF -- you might like it. I was intrigued. One reviewer described it as Hello Kitty meets Philip K. Dick. Not quite accurate but maybe like Hello Kitty on Acid runs with Godzilla and Giant Daruma down the Rabbit Hole and everyones' dream worlds merge.

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #17 of 48
Any thoughts on what the KGSS contributed, or on its interaction/effects?

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #18 of 48
It sounds like you all had a grat time! The pictures are worth a million bucks. By the way I should say (I realize I will get burnt for saying it...) that although NY City is not my favorite City I do love its skyline as seen in:

BklynBridge.jpg

I also have to admit that it sure has a share of very interisting people, which makes for a "colorful" experience. What better example than:

linkok6.jpg

My wife loves NY City, because of the shopping of course.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Maybe I do not like it much because I am afraid of the wallet destruction she would cause.
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Sidebar to Jahn: saw "Paprika" by Satoshi Kon at NYFF -- you might like it. I was intrigued. One reviewer described it as Hello Kitty meets Philip K. Dick. Not quite accurate but maybe like Hello Kitty on Acid runs with Godzilla and Giant Daruma down the Rabbit Hole and everyones' dream worlds merge.

NYFF is where my sis met Miyazaki too - was satoshi kon there at the premiere?

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
NYFF is where my sis met Miyazaki too - was satoshi kon there at the premiere?

Sadly, no.

I also saw Princess Mononoke when it opened at NYFF. Loved the film, but hated the American/Hollywood Stars' English redubbed soundtrack. Would have preferred to hear Japanese voices with English subtitles. Luckily the artwork was so beautiful it drew you in and took some of the weight off the voices & American jargon script. As one reviewer, who titled his article "Lost In Translation", said: "Leaden English dialogue from miscast voice talent diminishes the power of 'Mononoke'". (Voices of Claire Danes, Billy Crudup, Minnie Driver, Billy Bob Thorton, Gillian Anderson & Jada Pinkett Smith -- Puh-leeeeeeze.).

I guess it's time I got the Japanese DVD (if there's a version that's playable on my US region DVD player!).

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The imaging and spatiality of the O2 last time was ok, but I believe this system is more transparent now. It doesn't sound as muffled so it's better in that regard but I do not think the imaging and spatiality matches my own preferences. I prefer 404 for acoustic and lambda pros for some heavy hitting stuff. Vocals here are very nice. I think it's a bit emphasized for midrange.

If I were to rebalance this system, in spatiality in treble, midrange, and bass for my own preferences, I'd do +1 (meaning I'd wish for more), 0, and +1. In terms of frequency response, 0, -1, and -2 (omega ii bass is too much for me so i'd subtract a few notches).

How is the Omega 2 bass compared to the Lambda pro?

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 48
Well these headphones were in different systems so direct comparision isn't possible. The Omega II in the better system was just overall better in nearly every regard than the other headphones in the lesser system. This includes the bass also. There was just more definition. Lambda Pro's bass was a bit loose today.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #23 of 48
Really though, that Omega rig was fantastic. The last time we visited jaybar someone else brought an O2 (Romanee? You were borrowing one, right?) and an amp. I absolutely despised the O2 on that first setup... the lower end was completely out of focus and it had nothing going for it. Totally mismatched to the amp. Yesterday though, none of the same problems. Sounded so much more cohearant.

That said, there are a few things I still find a little icky about the O2. I'm pretty used to a forward midrange, and the O2's sounded recessed. Also, the upper midrange had at times a sizzle that really pulled me out of the music. Interestingly, placing wooden blocks under the amp actually helped with the sizzle.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Interestingly, placing wooden blocks under the amp actually helped with the sizzle.

LOL!
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 48
Just out of curiosity, did anyone try the lambda pro's out of the KGSS? Or was there no rig switching...?
Because i would really like some assurance that the hours that i spend in my basement are going to pay off when i finish my kgss
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
Greg

Oct 15, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #26 of 48
Unfortunately we didn't switch systems. I actually totally forgot about that. Lambra Pros in the better rig and Omega IIs in the lesser one...

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 48
Wait a minute ... Something got lost in the translation here. Perhaps y'all were a bit tired?

Lan post #22:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well these headphones were in different systems so direct comparision isn't possible. The Omega II in the better system was just overall better in nearly every regard than the other headphones in the lesser system. This includes the bass also. There was just more definition. Lambda Pro's bass was a bit loose today.

Lan post #26:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Unfortunately we didn't switch systems. I actually totally forgot about that. Lambra Pros in the better rig and Omega IIs in the lesser one...

I got lost in the smog here -- O2 in the better system (which was_____?) and Lamdas in the lesser system (which was_____?) -- OR Lambdas in the better system (which was_____?) and O2 in the lesser system (which was_____?).

Which phones were connected to which systems?!? What was powered by the KGSS, Ayre, etc.?

Clarification, please. Thanks.

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
LOL!
tongue.gif

I know. I freaking know. I'm not happy about that actually working either.

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #29 of 48
My first post was valid. We didn't switch systems.

The other post was describing what was forgotten. Omega in lesser, Lambda Pro in better system.

Oct 16, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #30 of 48
The Ayre wood blocks , under the KGSS are, in my opinion, a mixed bag. Less sizzle on top but more recessed.

The Ayre wood blocks work wonders under the Ayre gear (no surprise) and are less predictable under ofther stuff.

The problem is/was that a lot of other stuff happened, since the last time the guys were here.

New power cord on the integratred and KGSS.

Different power conditioner. Different power cords from the wall to the power conditioner and the racks were finally filled with sand.

No telling what the cumulative effect of all this was.

BTW, I had an extended audition with the O2's before I purchased my own pair, while at the same time having the SR 404's.

The SR 404's were MUCH better with the KGSS than the 717, but so were the O2's and the SR-404's 2-4k peak, which bothered my ears, did not go away.

I hope this helps the person who is wondering about the value of the KGSS.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back