NYC Brooklyn 10/14/06 - STAX ATTAX
Oct 17, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #46 of 48
And may I just say:

Without a doubt, the O2 is one of the finest built headphones I can imagine. Everything about it screams "top notch" from the fit to the materials used. I think you can kind of see it in photos... but you really don't get the full feel of JUST how luxurious it is in your hands and on your head.

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #47 of 48
Lan - Nice Pix!

To me the shots of the O2 and the Vinyl Wall were the "richest". Perhaps those objects were the most seductive or held the most vivid attraction for your subconscious? (Creatures of the ID? What movie was that from?.....)

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #48 of 48
stax.jpg

Just a few thoughts:

I think my impressions generally mirror lan's. The Lambda Pros are clearly the more transparent and better performer, at least today, relative to the normally biased Lambda, but the sound was just not put together. The Lambdas were far happier in this modest and random rig (the Dared had brand new super cheap interconnects and power cable - oh it had the jj tubes in it) and performed fairly well. SR-X mk. 3 also does pretty well. They're just less picky. But in the finely tuned rig, the airiness, transparency, speed, resolution, etc., of the Pro would clearly take the cake.

I also was quite impressed/happy with the SA5k in this modest rig. I had forgotten how the SA5k and Grace m902 play so well together. I also was surprised that I found it more resolving than the regular Lambdas, yet it still had a nice well put together sound that put it above the Pros.

In my mind Jay's Omega 2 rig is certainly a very high level performer. More bass than I usually would like, but I'm not a huge bass person - I didn't mind the sizzle (I'm used to more sizzly cans) - I found them extremely highly resolving in a very good and natural way with the KGSS, and had the correct timbre that I think is the most important aspect to the sound. I think my only criticism, if I had one, is that while I thought it had nice L to R soundstage presentation, the imaging wasn't as 3D as I know it's capable of doing.

I missed my little SR-X. It's good to have it back. It isn't as transparent as the Lambda Pros, and it certainly is rolled off. But it has a coherent sound and does just have this wonderful concentrated nature to its sound (as opposed to the airiness of the Lambda's) which is nice. It's like drinking sound straight from a hose.

I think for me the main things from Saturday was the Omega 2 actually sounded good to me - usually I don't like it much, but the KGSS does a fine job with it.

Yes the wooden blocks - I agree, more recessed, less trebley, the bass seemed tighter which I liked a lot. It brought the sound to where I would have wanted it.

I think Jay's certainly buit a rig to settle in with.

Oh Lambda Pros definitely were a lot bassier in this rig than I remembered them in other rigs. I think the bass wasn't as tight though, but that didn't bother me that much.

Okay, maybe some more thoughts later...

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back