NYC Brooklyn 10/14/06 - STAX ATTAX
Oct 14, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
We had a sweet minimeet at Jaybar's today.

Here's my pix:
LanOmegaRecords.jpg

Here's Lan at the Omega and Jaybar's massive collection of records.

LanCamera1.jpg

It could have been a camera meet today. Here's Lan setting up his Preeeeeecioussss.

LanCamera2.jpg

A camera shooting another camera? How Post Modern!

leicagi6.jpg

Here's Jason's (jjcha) new camera.

Jaybar.jpg

Our gracious host, the awesome Jaybar! Note the records behind him... he has MANY.

RecordPlayer.jpg

I'll assume that's a fancy cartridge there, what with the wood and such.

theomegagv7.jpg

That's one of those O2s like you read about.

JasonSRX.jpg

Jason is reunited with his SRX.

Drummerboy.jpg

What on earth am I drumming to? And how on earth is Ray (Oski) able to ignore my strange behavior?

BklynBridge.jpg

That's a fine view of New Yawk Citay.

DaredMP5.jpg

I bet the Dared feels a little out of place in that audio rack.

GoodEnoughtoEat.jpg

Only one pair of Stax was accidentally eaten. It was Jahn's.

And, on the subway back, I ran into this kid.
linkok6.jpg

He was trying to get people to sing while he played the Ocarina. I'm not even joking. I have a picture here somewhere of him playing it. They're laughing at you link! Not with you!

Oct 14, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
That record collection is a thing of lust.

Oh wait till you see the recod player itself. I'm trying to upload that now, but something's going awry with Head-Fi's photo uploads...

EDIT: Ah. There we go.

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 48
SLACKERS! (And Mr. Slacker wasn't even there...)

It's 8:36pm and that's all you have to show&tell?????!!!!!

Come-aahhhhhhhnnnnn. (please)

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Oh wait till you see the recod player itself. I'm trying to upload that now, but something's going awry with Head-Fi's photo uploads...

EDIT: Ah. There we go.

Hmm, I don't see it. Where did the photo area (user photos and such) go, I can't seem to find a link. Did it go away?

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 48
Thanks guys. It was a LOVELY day!

For those who can't see the photos clearly:

I have almost 3000 LP's between the living room and the den. They are mostly stored in the Per Madsen LP storage system. We also have about 400 CD's.

The TT is a Rega P9 with a Benz Rugy III MC.

The phono stage is Ayre as is the integrated and CDP.

Speakers are Harbeth M30's. Cable is Cardas.

Headphone amp is Headamp KGSS and of course the lovely Omega II's.

Power conditioning, courtesy of Running Springs Audio.

Ayre wood blocks under all the Ayre gear.

It has taken em a while to find what I really love in a headphone system and I feel sort of guilty, given head-fi that I finally have found what I really love and have no great desire to upgrade, Besides, I am at the point where a significant upgrade in sound, which would require a LOT for $$$$$ and I am beginning to focus on the music again, rather than the gear.

Again, guys, thanks for joining me.

Jay

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 48
Ok, we had a 4 electrostatic headphones here and SA5000.

Ayre rig -> KGSS -> Omega II

and

portable cdp / ihp120 -> m902 -> Dared MP5 -> SRD7 MKII -> Lambda, Lambda Pro, and SRX MK-III

SA5000 went into m902.

-------------------------------------------------

I came in with no expectations as rigs sound very different on different occasions. The first can I put on was the Lambda Pro (without knowing which was which). This was Jahn's can and I've heard it on different occasion so was familiar with it's sound. I was able to identify it after switching to the other can. It sounds quite different than on Jahn's rig though.

What I got out of Lambda vs Lambda Pro in this particular instance:

- Lambda Pro was more transparent. It extended deeper in bass and treble.
- Lambda seemed more intimate and put together. The treble was more laid back.

Ultimately in this rig, I didn't like either. For an average put together system, I would've chosen the regular Lambda. It seems to jive well with more music. The Pro is a bit trickier to tame. More bass, transparency, and treble could be a disaster (at least for me) if the system isn't well executed. Here the bass wasn't as tight as I'd like, the treble was a little glaring, and this combo pushed the midrange too far back. Certainly in Jahn's system, none of these are the case. I would build a system around the Pro though.

BTW we used stock interconnect on the Dared. I think that could've been "bad". What tubes were we using on there?

SR-X MKIII. I've heard this can on compassion and really like it. The other fellows may think it's a bit recessed in treble but I quite enjoy this the most in this rig.

SA5000 to me was somewhat equivalent to SR-X MKIII here. It had smooth presentation, the treble was also flat but definitely had more. I do not find it's treble peaky but more platau like. It was pretty dynamic and on m902, the midrange was more forward than the other headphones in this setup.

In this midrange rig (most preferable to least):

Choosing on comfort in the sound, I'd go SRX-MKIII, SA5000, Lambda, Lambda Pro
In terms of resolution, I'd go SA5000, Lambda Pro, SRX-MKIII, Lambda. I think SA5000 won only because it's signal chain was far simpler.
Soundstage, Lambda Pro, SA5000, SRX-MKIII, Lambda. The Pros were on another level in terms of transparency but it's presentation was a bit the rig was a bit incoherent so it sounded a bit fake.
Dynamics, SA5000, Lambda Pro, Lambda, SRX-MKIII

As for Omega II, this new rig of Jaybar's, our gracious host, is pretty good. The sound was not exactly my flavor but a little tweak like the wooden blocks under the amp, makes a sizable enough difference. So it's about within striking distance. Omega II bass was always a bit too much for me. This rig had pretty good resolution, impact, and definition. It was like 3 "notches" above the other rig IMO.

I'm was quite a bit tired from the previous night. Sorry if I wasn't so lively. Time for bed soon. 'nitey nite fellas.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 48
Lan --

If you can recall -- one question about the Omega2: I remember that despite the troublesome bass in Machead's O2 with his Egmont (that needed better tubes and some tweaking), that O2 had beautiful imaging and spatiality.

Do you recall your impressions of the imaging and sound space of the O2 as compared to the Lambdas -- especially with the O2 driven by the KGSS?

Oct 15, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 48
The imaging and spatiality of the O2 last time was ok, but I believe this system is more transparent now. It doesn't sound as muffled so it's better in that regard but I do not think the imaging and spatiality matches my own preferences. I prefer 404 for acoustic and lambda pros for some heavy hitting stuff. Vocals here are very nice. I think it's a bit emphasized for midrange.

If I were to rebalance this system, in spatiality in treble, midrange, and bass for my own preferences, I'd do +1 (meaning I'd wish for more), 0, and +1. In terms of frequency response, 0, -1, and -2 (omega ii bass is too much for me so i'd subtract a few notches).

Oct 15, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 48
Jason, you got that new camera already???
Yeah I wasnt invited to this meet
frown.gif
, but I had SATs today anyway so I dont care!

ok i do care, but... but.... i dont like you! *runs away*

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
And, on the subway back, I ran into this kid.
linkok6.jpg

He was trying to get people to sing while he played the Ocarina. I'm not even joking. I have a picture here somewhere of him playing it. They're laughing at you link! Not with you!

Well did you?!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 48
I apologize that my note enumerated my basic system only, w/o commenting on what else was there.

I did not do much listening, as I tried playing host.

I liked the Lamda Pro's least of all the Staxes. I listened to the SA 5000's just for a few seconds. Much too bright for me.

Jay

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 48
Don't worry Mr. Slacker, I didn't get invited either - they just wanted my cans!
lambda.gif

But seriously, I'm stuck here in Delaware so it's nice to see that the Pros got some love up there in Brooklyn. I agree with Lan btw - the Lambda Pros can get etchy if you aren't careful, and it took a year to really get the rig down to where I like it - and I do like the Pros for the heavy hitting stuff, so it's a good example of system matching for purpose-driven performance. if you don't know what you want it to do for you, it's going to default into something pretty electrostaticy. some stuff the Lambdas are brought forward over all other cans, and some you have to bust out the HP2 dynamic cans.

I wonder what cosplay expo that Link guy was going to? i just riffled through my sister's stuff here at home and found an autographed playbill of Princess Mononoke by Hayao Miyazaki, and an animation class workshop she attended with Haruhiko Mikimoto. What gives, I thought I was the anime geek in the family!

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
and an animation class workshop she attended with Haruhiko Mikimoto. What gives, I thought I was the anime geek in the family!

Ooooh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back