NuPrime DAC-10H - Desktop DAC and Headphone Amp
Nov 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #106 of 152
I bought the DAC 10H a couple weeks ago, based only on the reviews I read, since it is not available in my country, so I had to buy it online. To be honest, I was a bit nervous, I've never spent so much on a DAC before. I was considering two options, the Mytek Brooklin and the NuPrime 10H. After reading the whole huge thread about the Mytek Brooklin on another forum, I decided to go for the 10H, it seemed to me like the more mature product.

As any self-respecting dude, I never read the manual before firing up the 10H. I even ignored the sticker prominently displayed on the plastic wrapping inside the box, which insisted you should install the latest driver from the website, before operating it. Obviously, next thing I know, the DAC is not working. I mean Win 7 sees it, but it says the device won't work. Took a few deep breaths, ignored the manual still, but tried the manufacturer's website. Couple clicks later, driver is installed. What do you know, the DAC works flawlessly.

After all that, I took a minute to look at it properly. I must say, it looks a lot better in flesh than in photos. The design is a bit funky, it won't be to everybody's liking, but very good build quality indeed. The display is quite interesting and clearly legible, but preferably head-on. Go something like 40 degrees to one side and you struggle to read it. However, the build is tank-like, and the connections on the back look like good quality.

The remote is a bit quirky too. I don't mind the buttons rattling, but the overall feel is the manufacturer was aiming for a higher quality item than they managed to produce. It's not shabby, by any means, but it's not exactly hi-fi jewelry. However, it works great, you only have to point it in the general direction of the DAC, even if the angle is very wide.

The software is brilliant, everything works like it should. I had to struggle a bit to get Foobar to play DSD ISO files, but once I got that sorted, I can jump through various formats, bit depths and sampling rates without giving them any thought. Click on it and off you go.

Now, to the sound quality. I'm not really familiar with expensive DACs and HPs, if I'm honest. However, this one sounds very clean. Good separation, pitch black background, very detailed. Sharp, but not clinical. Actually, I even enjoyed damn youtube through it, strange as I found that to be. Bags of power, I played a bit with the gain settings (see above chart). With Sennheiser 580HD 250 Ohm I'm using HL around 50-60, plenty enough. The volume control is fantastic. Surgical precision and no noises whatsoever, while sound quality remains consistent regardless of the level.

Unfortunately, I can only use it as a DAC/headphone amp for the time being, since I moved to a different town so my main system is still packed and will be so until next summer, at the earliest. I plan to acquire a pair of active speakers, I sure hope the preamp part will rise to my expectations.

Bottom line: I'm very happy with my purchase, it works like a well oiled machine, sound quality is great and the overall performance is very musical. Everything I hoped for
gs1000.gif

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #107 of 152
Congrats on your new dac, I've had mine for over a year now and have to say the dac 10's sound is extremely nice certainly the best I've ever owned..enjoy 

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #108 of 152
Double congrats. I was one of the first to purchase the DAC-10H recommended by an audio advisor who I met at an audio fest and helped me put together components. I was nervous as well.  It was my largest purchase at the time.

I think it's great especially using both Headphones and active speakers going from digital files on my Sonos system, to a CDP or computer audio. I use it literally every day. The sound as you aptly described is clean, neutral and detailed, and the multipurpose all-in-one functionality has been a game changer for me.

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #109 of 152
Thanks, guys. I'm planning to go over to the dark side and start using pro monitors. I'm thinking something like Neumann KH310, but it will have to wait until second part of next year, when hopefully I'll finish building my house and move in. The place where I'm living now is way too cramped for them. The KH310 are supposed to be very revealing, but I don't expect any disappointments with the DAC 10.

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #110 of 152
Wow bet these Neumann's will be awesome always wanted a pair just a little pricey for me Adams would be nice also..Good luck dude 

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #111 of 152
Thanks. In Europe it's not so bad, as there's no customs tax. Also, the price on them has gone down a lot lately. They're not exactly cheap, but a lot less expensive than they used to be.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #112 of 152
Not so much attention here to this excellent DAC/amp, so here is my video. As usual, impressions and strong accent :) But this time with nice guest in review

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cXPLL_vF4[/VIDEO]

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #113 of 152
Not so much attention here to this excellent DAC/amp, so here is my video. As usual, impressions and strong accent
smily_headphones1.gif
But this time with nice guest in review

Really good review dude thanks..Enjoy

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #114 of 152
Cleg, I'm really glad to see you  give some attention to this product-very much deserving of some good press. It's been perfect for my set up as well.

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #115 of 152
I'm encouraged by the many positive comments in this thread, and I am considering this DAC although it's at the upper-end of my budget. I intend to demo it locally, since there's a dealer in my area, but I do have some questions.

I recently sold off my Rega DAC and Peachtree DAC It X units. I liked them both, but felt they paled in comparison to a loaner Theta DS Pro Generation III DAC I tried. The Theta had more muscular bass, sounded more organised, had better evenness of tone, a more natural way with voice AND generated a larger soundstage in my system.

However, I also am aware of the risks of going with legacy DACs for which parts / expertise may no longer be available. This is why I am considering newer products like the DAC 10.

What I would like to ask owners/users of this DAC:

1. How would you rate the DAC's presentation of instrument timbre?
2. I like good weighty bass, is this a strength of the DAC10?
3. Does it cast a generously sized soundstage?
4. Is it good at avoiding digital glare?

Thanks for your inputs.

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #116 of 152
I'll contribute my 2 cents:

1. My opinion is that instrument timbre is largely dependent on the recording/engineering. However, I find that the DAC 10H presents the recording with great clarity, I hear more details than before, but not in a "forward" way, they are just there, whereas before they weren't.
2. In my HD580 Senns (same driver as HD600, I believe), the bass is full and nicely rounded, no boom, no smear. It does not rattle your brains, if that's what you were looking for. But again, I find huge differences between recordings, as well as music genres, far as bass is concerned. You'll have to use your judgement, depending on your collection. If there is nice deep bass and your headphones can reproduce it, you'll probably hear it.
3. This is something that personally I never experienced. At times I might be surprised by a sound behind me, which I never expected, but generally, the soundstage is somewhere between my ears, regardless of equipment. In other words, I better not pass any appreciation on this subject
4. Yes, no doubt about it. Sounds great on 44.1 kHz material, as well as 192 kHz, or DSD content. As I mentioned above, I even enjoyed youtube stuff, which I never expected. To be honest, I'm not even sure it's worth bothering with vinyl 192 kHz rips, they sound marginally better than regular 44.1 CD quality production, but not much more than that. All to my ears, obviously.

I was not very confident investing in it, I never spent that sort of money on a DAC, so I understand your reluctance. For me, it was well worth it, I hope it will be the same for you, should you decide to take a leap.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #117 of 152
Wow great comments Alexxus, I've owned the dac 10 for over a year now and it's the finest sounding dac I've ever had the bass is really deep with this dac,
Heres my impressions of the NuPrime Dac10, First off I'm by no means an audiophile . What I can say is this dac's build quality and aesthetics are very nice the fit & finish are seriously good.

The dac10 has a very natural and organic sound the music is very accurate each instrument sounds real its better then all other dacs I've heard by a mile, I find the music is now very engaging I don't want to stop listening its that good. It has a rich and beautiful midrange and the bass Wow its very punchy and deep.

The high frequencies are clean, with good rendering, My music sounds sooo much nicer with this dac, I think this dac is outstanding in its performance and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great sounding dac, It's well worth the price you will be very pleased with it's sq as I am..Enjoy

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #120 of 152
  I've been listening to a lot of jazz the new cd from Boney James called futuresoul, is heavy in deep bass also some Brian Simpson great jazz piano. Norah Jones vocals are soo sweet sounding, even some of the top 50 off spotify like Tove Lo,DJ Snake, Pitbull, I like all types of music. This Dac10 makes my krk 10 3's + s10 sound better then they ever have..

I noticed you have a LCD-3 and an Elear. I'm looking at both those headphones. Does one or other have better synergy with the DAC-10H in your view or are they pretty equal? Edit: I note Project 86 has commented very favorably regarding the HE-1000 and the LCD 2 & 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back