NuPrime DAC-10H - Desktop DAC and Headphone Amp
Apr 13, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #136 of 152
Well I sent my review loaner back long ago, so I don't know how helpful I can be. But from memory alone, just mentally comparing the DAC10H to other models I've reviewed since then... I'd say it still holds up fairly well. It's got a generally neutral sound, good resolution, with particularly nice treble that isn't offensive nor dull.

I'd put it this way - if you care about the integrated headphone amp, and/or the preamp capabilities, I think the DAC10H is easy to recommend. If using as a DAC only, with fixed volume levels and external headphone amp (or speaker rig), the appeal is slightly less... but it's still a good option to consider. Then you mention half price and it rockets back up to "no brainer" status. I can't think of anything else in the $700-800 range I'd rather listen to.

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #137 of 152
Well I sent my review loaner back long ago, so I don't know how helpful I can be. But from memory alone, just mentally comparing the DAC10H to other models I've reviewed since then... I'd say it still holds up fairly well. It's got a generally neutral sound, good resolution, with particularly nice treble that isn't offensive nor dull.

I'd put it this way - if you care about the integrated headphone amp, and/or the preamp capabilities, I think the DAC10H is easy to recommend. If using as a DAC only, with fixed volume levels and external headphone amp (or speaker rig), the appeal is slightly less... but it's still a good option to consider. Then you mention half price and it rockets back up to "no brainer" status. I can't think of anything else in the $700-800 range I'd rather listen to.
Awesome. Yeah, should have mentioned that I'm interested in the DAC/headphone amp for now, and probably in the pre-amp capabilities after.
Much appreciated!

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #140 of 152
In my experience, the DAC10 is substantially better than the Mytek. I find the NuPrime far more natural sounding, with obviously more accurate tonal balance and timbre. The Mytek is a bit thin and harsh in the treble - not very convincing to my ears.
Hi, I just use it as a dac and out put to schiit mjo2, so in this cas is still better then 192? Thank you.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #142 of 152
On looks and for a "clean, simple, elegant" setup the nod goes to the DAC10H. It is a little forward and very detailed - typical of ESS chips - but is not harsh. Simply very clear and clean without being sterile. It also has lots of power - enough to power even the most demanding headphones. Having said that, if only as a DAC, there are quite a few options these days providing a similar sound signature and quality to the DAC10 / DAC10H at a lower price. Granted they won't have the looks and build of the Nuprime however. If going for an AIO, it is up there with the best.

These days I tend to recommend separate DAC and amp as you can get two fully fledged components (whereas many AIO's compromise on one or the other). Along these lines, it also provides more flexibility to find the right synergy, and longevity given the fact that DACs age far quicker than amps.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #143 of 152
I agree my Dac 10 is the best sounding Dac I've ever owned..

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #144 of 152
Well it's been over 3 years since I've bought the NuPrime dac-10, this piece of gear so far is flawless I have no issues like warranty work, just wondering if this is true with others, hoping this one will last a very long time..enjoy all

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #145 of 152
Well, I've had it for near enough two years. Works without fail, as it always did. I'm torn whether to upgrade going active on speakers, or buy the matching NuPrime amp and look for better passive speakers than the ones I'm currently using.

Anyway, I've got nothing but good things to say about the DAC 10H. Wonderful piece of kit :thumbsup:

Dec 22, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #146 of 152
Thanks for Dac10 info guys, i'm about to get one after new year (Dac10 with out H).

One question though, when using it as pre-amp, how volume level is handled when you turn it on/off ? I mean does it remember last volume level or does it go to zero automatically each time you power it off ?

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #147 of 152
Congrats you'll really enjoy it, that's the one I got you can also upgrade the face plate at a later date so you'll have a headphone amp. The amp is built in they only change the face plate for 300. of course..enjoy

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #148 of 152
T
One question though, when using it as pre-amp, how volume level is handled when you turn it on/off ? I mean does it remember last volume level or does it go to zero automatically each time you power it off ?

It remembers the volume for each input. It starts from zero and goes up to the last setting, so you don't jump out of your socks if your last session was a headbanging one.

Just a quick update: I got myself the matching amp, the ST-10, and it has blown me away. Fantastic combo. It has everything you need: subtlety, power, control. I don't even need to change my speakers, they now sound amazing. I'm a happy bunny :blush:

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #150 of 152
You might email Nuprime sorry I can't help but sure do love my Dac-10 hope you can find some place in the UK good luck..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back