NuPrime DAC-10H - Desktop DAC and Headphone Amp
Nov 2, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #46 of 152
  I didn't care for the DAC 9 all that much. It was just "ok" but priced as if it should have been really good. The nice appearance was about the only thing it had going for it - thankfully that carries over (more or less) to the NuPrime model. I thought the DAC100 and DAC80 were improvements over the DAC 9 in most every respect, despite being of a theoretically lower class.

And the DAC 10H is one more step higher, particularly when driving headphones directly or using as a preamp in a speaker setup. 

I am looking forward to picking one of these up in the very near future.  I recently picked up the outstanding little IDA-8 integrated from Sonic Unity as I live nearby, and I am keen on picking up the DAC-10H now to use as a DAC/pre.  I was going to get the regular DAC-10, but your review convinced me that I should pony up for the 10H even though headphone listening doesn't occur as much as it used to for me....thank you for your review!  I use Daphile run from USB as my main program on a purpose built HTPC as my main source.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #48 of 152
  I didn't care for the DAC 9 all that much. It was just "ok" but priced as if it should have been really good. The nice appearance was about the only thing it had going for it - thankfully that carries over (more or less) to the NuPrime model. I thought the DAC100 and DAC80 were improvements over the DAC 9 in most every respect, despite being of a theoretically lower class.

And the DAC 10H is one more step higher, particularly when driving headphones directly or using as a preamp in a speaker setup. 

Hi Project86
When did you get a chance to listen to the DAC-9, they are only releasing the DAC-9 in December as it hit production delays.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #49 of 152
  Hi Project86
When did you get a chance to listen to the DAC-9, they are only releasing the DAC-9 in December as it hit production delays.

I see the confusion. There is indeed a new DAC called the NuPrime DAC-9, coming soon. Price should be somwhere around $749:

There was a prior model from some years ago called the NuForce DAC-9, which sold for around $1700:

I didn't love the sound but the appearance was quite nice, and seems to have set the tone for future NuPrime products - powered down, it shares a lot with the DAC-10H for example.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #50 of 152
I see the confusion. There is indeed a new DAC called the NuPrime DAC-9, coming soon. Price should be somwhere around $749:

There was a prior model from some years ago called the NuForce DAC-9, which sold for around $1700:

I didn't love the sound but the appearance was quite nice, and seems to have set the tone for future NuPrime products - powered down, it shares a lot with the DAC-10H for example.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. 

Alright now I'm with you!
All these overlapping model numbers can sometimes confuse things completely.

I'm possibly looking at getting the new Dac-9 from Nuprime. Got some great features.
Also differentiates from the Dac-10 as the Dac-9 uses the AKM chip instead of ESS.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #51 of 152
Alright now I'm with you!
All these overlapping model numbers can sometimes confuse things completely.

I'm possibly looking at getting the new Dac-9 from Nuprime. Got some great features.
Also differentiates from the Dac-10 as the Dac-9 uses the AKM chip instead of ESS.

Looks really nice..

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #52 of 152
I am seriously thinking of a DAC which is future friendly and can do a great job from price point.  I am looking for the Supreme DAC-10 as I have a MK3 Taboo mainly used with Lcd-2 and CORDA Classic-FF for my sennheiser HD 800 S.   I am looking for a DAC for my headphones as well as for my Stereo System.  From the input and output options as well as the DAC specs it looks interesting.  

My only concern here is, I don't want to end up buying a wrong product. so need your help and recommendations here . 

I didn't see any video review for the product.
I read the inner fidelity review which is convincing. 

How does your review go? is it a worth investment? Or there are others which I can explore? 

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #53 of 152
I've owned the dac 10 since it's release and think it sounds amazing couldn't be happier, I also use it's preamp  to power a pair of monitors for the price point you really can't go wrong plus the software runs flawlessly..

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #54 of 152
  I've owned the dac 10 since it's release and think it sounds amazing couldn't be happier, I also use it's preamp  to power a pair of monitors for the price point you really can't go wrong plus the software runs flawlessly..

Thanks a lot.  I ordered it through Audio Advicer.  I have an integrated AMP (CXA-80) and I am thinking of getting all Audio inputs to the DAC and connect it to the integrated AMP.  

I will be connecting my MAC as a source for the digital format I have.  I am getting the DAC alone not with the headphone amp. I have a tube AMP for LCD-2  and an amazing CORDA amp for my HD 800 S. 

I got the Aune S16 but was not happy with sound stage, it was laid back and dull. I have the iFi Micro DAC and I am not happy as it has only limited expandability for $500. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #55 of 152
That's where I got mine I'll say you'll really enjoy it, well worth the money..

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #56 of 152
  That's where I got mine I'll say you'll really enjoy it, well worth the money..

I saw you have the Pangea power cable, does they make a difference? I was planning on getting one, may be next month.  

I have ordered the Pangea USB cable as well.  I have mK3 Taboo as the Amp for Lcd-2 and Corda Classic-ff for my HD 800s as well as HD 600.  

I think I will like the music as our tastes of Audio does match, based on what I learned from your profile. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #57 of 152
Not sure if it makes a big difference I just wanted  better power & usb cables, as their not all that expensive..

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #59 of 152
Sounds cool be sure to post your impressions..

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #60 of 152
  Sounds cool be sure to post your impressions..

NuPrime DAC 10 is really good.  Its with me for last 13 hours.  I listen to it last night for 4 hours and it was magical just our of the Box.  The DAC ships with 230 V to avoid any issues, so I have to set it 120 (Good that I checked it and also read the manual). 

I am still learning about the tricks and tweaks on the DAC.  I tried my iTune library and FLAC and the volume of 70 and HL and my Amplifier with volume level at 10 O'clock is amazing.  I am using my HD 800 S cans with it, and I will try my tube amp with LCD-2 on it and see what the experience would be. 

What player do you use? I am using Audirvana and iTunes and Vox on Mac Book. 

What is your experience with DSD? Does it natively decode or it converts to PCM?  

I might have more questions and if you could help would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back