NuForce NE-8 arrived (short review, updated pg1)
Dec 10, 2008 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

4sound

100+ Head-Fier
Just got the NE8 from FedX. Opened it up and it has the same round zipper case as the PL30. The headphone itself looks the same as the PL30 except it doesn't have the adjustable bass/treble button like on the PL30. This is where the similarities stop.

There is a moldable 2 1/4 sleeve on each phone to wrapp around the ear to keep them in place. Standard black cable (not rubbery like the PL30) with a right angle mini plug.

The sound out of the box is light years better than the PL30 but I will wait until I use them more to get into all of the details. First impressions, it has a pretty wide soundstage, great clarity in the highs and the bass is really tight.

Anyone else out there get theirs?

Dec 15 Update
IMHO
After having almost a week to listen (and burn-in) the NE8; I really enjoy the presentation of the NE8 mostly for pop, rock, blues, country and classical. Modern R&B, rap, funk & hard rock sounds decent but I prefer my Image X10s because of the bass, warmth and extension of the soundstage. I’ve also compared the PL30, UE SF3, SF5pro (old version) and even my KSC75 and KSC35. (KSCs are a different animal but just wanted to hear the soundstage differences versus the NE8.)

Like a few of the other initial reviews I’ve seen; the NE8 is not a bass centric IEM. The bass is there but it’s the mids and especially the vocals that are presented a little bit more forward in the sound signature. The soundstage is relatively wide and very smooth. There is distinct definition of the instruments at the same time maintaining warmth overall. The detail in the music is better than any of the others I mentioned above including my favorite X10.

Other than the Image X10, I prefer the NE8 to all the IEMs I mentioned above. The X10 has more extension in its soundstage and is great for pretty much any type of music. (X10 also costs more than double the cost of the NE8 so its hard to compare from the price point view)

The other really important factor for me is comfort. The X10 is by far the most comfortable IEM I’ve used. It was difficult to get a seal with the NE8 until I put on the Comply T500 tips I had for my SF5pros. I suspect others will have similar issues but everyone has different ears so maybe not.

Overall, I like them a lot and I’m keeping the NE8 and the X10. The other IEMs I have are now Xmas presents. I honestly don't think there is an IEM in the same price range that comes close to the NE8. I know theres a lot of IEMs on the market so for those of you that get the NE8 please let me know how they compare to others IEMs you've had experience with.

Details of what I use to listen:
Ipod 80 (6th gen) EQ Flat
ALO LOD
iBasso P3 Heron with upgraded opamps AD743/LMH6655

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 42
I ordered some yesterday with 2 day shipping from Amazon.

More detailed impressions or comparisons when you get a chance would be great.

Hopefully some other early adopters will weigh in soon too!

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 42
These sound interesting, can anyone recommend a UK supplier?

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 42
I also received my NE-8s today. Currently burning them in now. I can't get a darn good seal though, so I may have to spend more $$$ and get some better tips. I guess I have big ear canals or something lmao.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also received my NE-8s today. Currently burning them in now. I can't get a darn good seal though, so I may have to spend more $$$ and get some better tips. I guess I have big ear canals or something lmao.

well the shape seems similar to that of the soundmagic pl-30, which i and many others had difficulty putting it on easily. i hope this isnt the case, especially since the ne-8 are suppose to sound better than the ne-7

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 42
Do these take the same size tips as the 7's? In the NE-7 thread, best sound was achieved with the comply 400s;

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 42
I'm thinking about getting a pair of these. Can you tell me how "deep" they are. From the pics on NuForce's web site they look like the housing is off to the side sort of. I'm wondering about how far they stick out when worn in reference to laying/sleeping on my side.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 42
hey! can someone here post some pics of this toy? how does it look like in your ear while wearing it? i'm now torn between this and the ne-7m. does it sound better overall compared to the 7?

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 42
I'm burning them in right now. I changed the tips to some extra Comply T500 I had for my UE SF5 pros. Fit/seal with anything else doesn't work for me. Not sure how the T400 fits on these. Let me know how tight the T400s fit.

In order to get the best sound of the NE8 you need a good seal.

First impression comparison to the SF5pro is that the NE8 sound much better to me. More air separation of instruments (wider soundstage) and the highs are nice and clear. SF5 highs sometimes are too strong IMO. (not sharp just too strong - is the only why I can describe it)

I also have the Image X10 which right now sound still sound much warmer and bigger than the NE8. But its still too early and its a different presentation all together. (Plus the X10 is in a totally different price range).

With that said I haven't heard an IEM for $60 that comes close & the NE8 rivals most I've heard up in the $150 range. This is of course IMO. Sound signature is always personal preference. I'm definately keeping the NE8 and giving my SF5pros away as an Xmas gift.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 42
I don't think these would be good for sleeping. They stick out and wouldn't be comfortable. They fit pretty much like the PL30 even with the moldable sleeve on the NE8.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 42
I've been watching the NuForce IEM's for a while and so far, the NE-8 provides the perfect contrast to the NE-7M. The NE-8 seems to be more Etymotic-like with better treble and midrange while maintaining a decent soundstage while on the other hand, the NE-7M is more Shure-like with good bass and a warm sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back