Nuforce LPS-1...difference is not subtle.
Apr 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #31 of 43

Quote:

Never heard of them, but there isnt even a picture of what the enclosure looks like. And they get $177 just for the kit to build your own for the HPD, for around $120 I can build my own Sigma 11.

Fair point but for those of us with zero build skills there are fewer options.  Quick question on a slightly different point:  would a decent variable DC power supply represent an upgrade of any sort?  Would be able to use it with a variety of components as you upgrade, etc. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #32 of 43

Quote:

Fair point but for those of us with zero build skills there are fewer options.  Quick question on a slightly different point:  would a decent variable DC power supply represent an upgrade of any sort?  Would be able to use it with a variety of components as you upgrade, etc. 

I think that would depend on what kind of variable power supply it was. I have thought about that route too, but I ended up figuring once the Sigma 11 was built, its only a few components to swap out if you needed it to "permanently" be a different voltage/current.

May 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 43
just wanted to chime in, for all you HDP users, that the LPS that nu-force makes a pretty significant difference, in what was already a pretty nice product...my biggest complaint was the dac/amp was a little bright...well with this product the lower midrange and bass was filled out, soundstage enlarged...a very nice investment

dave

May 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:
just wanted to chime in, for all you HDP users, that the LPS that nu-force makes a pretty significant difference, in what was already a pretty nice product...my biggest complaint was the dac/amp was a little bright...well with this product the lower midrange and bass was filled out, soundstage enlarged...a very nice investment

dave

Your observations are very similar to mine.  My Icon-2 just sounds bigger and filled out - especially in the lower midrange and bass.  Just the other day, out of curiosity I switched back to the regular power supply and was floored by the difference.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #35 of 43
I just posted a review on the Icon2 not too long ago. I'm curious what the LPS would offer...  particularly in how it drives my HE-6. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #36 of 43
So I've got the LPS-2U-192k now. It's difficult to do a comparison since I have to turn off, change power cords, power back up, etc. I haven't gone into speakers yet, but using a speaker tap for my HE-6 everything feels a little sharper and more well defined. The background is quieter, and the weak link in the chain is now the electrical hash coming from my DAC-100, which is more a culprit of my home wiring, not the dac itself. Looks like I'll have to look into power conditioning soon. Sigh.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #37 of 43
Posted some thoughts on the LPS power supply here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626851/review-nuforce-icon2-s-x-speakers-w-1-sub-lps-power-supply#post_9011780

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #38 of 43
The LPS is more for the higher end of the NuForce Line.

If using something like the Icon 2, HD, or HDP, there's no difference between something like the LPS-1 and Sigma 11 (15V)

I've listened to both, both sounded more transparent than the wall-wart, but didn't sound so different than one another.

Tim

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #39 of 43
Other than the CD player, I don't think any of their higher up stuff is compatible. All the big toys have built in power supplies. 

Considering the sigma11 is DIY, it is not an option for most people. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #40 of 43
For anyone interested:  selling my LPS-1.  Upgraded the entire system.  If you're interested, PM me.  

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #42 of 43
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC-30W-For-NuForce-Icon-HDP-power-source-15V-1-6A-Linear-Power-Supply-/131154448926

Are these equivalent to the above mentioned power supply?

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #43 of 43
First thing I have to say is that my offer to part with this unit has been retracted. I was told that is not appropriate on these forums on another thread. That said I seem to remember mine having a large round terroidal Transformer inside. Never took it apart but I think there's pictures out there on the web. I know it weighs a ton and looks quite a bit nicer than the one in the photograph. And it did really seem to improve the sound of the icon HDP. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back