NuForce HP-800 ???
Jan 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #31 of 179
Quote:

Ugh. Yet another one 
frown.gif

Hmmm... I actually thought they would not be bass heavy... oh well.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #32 of 179
After days of usage and comparing with M50s, sound is pretty good but still finding it rather bass heavy. Used it with my macbook and bass is emphasised more on the low end side while mid and highs are a little recessed. However, sound is greatly improved connecting with my Udac 2 with the extra ooommpph.

Overall, I will give it a 3.5/5. It's a very good first attempt by Nuforce. I would appreciate if the bass doesn't overwhelms the details and staging. And design is rather generic looking with a more flimsy feel as compared to the competition. These are ideal for those who loves Techno, Trance, Electronic, R&B, Hip Hop, Lounge, House Music. And they perform very well with movies and gaming as well.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 179
Just got mine today. Initial impressions...
- very nice packaging, and that funny triangular puzzle box with the accessories
- decent build quality, about what I would expect for the price
- super comfortable, moderately light (but I've been using big planars lately, so my sensitivity is skewed here)
- good seal, but isolation is average
- nice cloth cable
- crazy deep bass extension, actually climbs at 50 Hz, rumbles down to 20 Hz
- very strong dip at 400Hz
- the typical treble rollercoaster of a closed can, though the first peak was earlier than expected

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #34 of 179
I'm normally spending most of my time in the portable's forum, so yeah.  I came here with reason though.
 ​

These are definitely an upbeat headphone.  Like others, boomy bass, I hear a v-shape in these with peaks in the low-bass and the upper treble.  That's all I'm going to say for now, no specifics for a little bit.  

EDIT: Do not cover the ports on the top of the headphones, they will actually end up boosting the low-to-mid bass by a few dB rather than controlling them.  These headphones are enjoyable, but definitely not studio grade.  Still have a v-shape with a tilt towards the upper end, still boomy with a strong, tight, but thick impact.  Mids still focus on the upper end.  
 ​

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #35 of 179
Wow, this will give your head a shake... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2kXzP7-UTc

The HP-800 actually does the lows better (in some ways) than my HE-6...

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #36 of 179
Quote:
Wow, this will give your head a shake... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2kXzP7-UTc

The HP-800 actually does the lows better (in some ways) than my HE-6...

Wow, anybody can put out a record nowadays.. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #37 of 179
I've heard stranger... actually, most of his stuff is more offbeat than that one. I mostly use Limit to your Love to test low frequency response.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #38 of 179
Jan 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #39 of 179
I guess for some people NuForce can do no wrong...

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #40 of 179
I think they're great for comfort, though the Phiaton PS500 is still the most comfortable full sized headphone I've ever worn. 

In terms of sound... well, there's no getting around that these are V shaped cans. Actually, U shaped would be more accurate. I actually got a FR chart from their R&D department, though I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to share it. I can tell you purely from my ear though that the frequency response is indeed quite flat, except the whole midsection from about 400Hz to 2kHz is dropped down. Each section strangely enough on its own though feels quite flat. The bass extends ridiculously well, better than my HE-6 (seriously) in terms of pure rumble. The dropped midrange itself also remains fairly stable, until it starts to do the treble wobble that all headphones are guilty of, though even here it is relatively benign. 

I'm still collecting my thoughts on these, so my impressions may change. I will write up a review when I find the time. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #41 of 179
Y'know... the more I listen to these the more I can groove into them. It's a little bit of "brain burn-in" for sure, though I think the trick for me is low level listening. They're a bit overwelming at high volumes, but at low to mid volumes they feel just right. I still can't get over how ridiculously well extended the bass on these is.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #42 of 179
I've got a pair here for review. Listened to them last night and for the price they certainly punch above their weight class. Great bass and mids and smooth treble. Definitely not bright headphones (a good thing IMO).

More to come.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #43 of 179
Thanks Peter. So you don't find them overly bass heavy? Sometimes bass boost is not immediately apparent and shows up later on. Do keep us posted.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #44 of 179
Quote:
Thanks Peter. So you don't find them overly bass heavy? Sometimes bass boost is not immediately apparent and shows up later on. Do keep us posted.

Hi Dave. Happy New Year!

They are bass friendly for sure. That said, I'm a bit busy this weekend...but I expect to post a review in the upcoming weeks.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #45 of 179
Bass friendly is a good way to put it. The emphasis starts well into the midrange, so it avoids the typical bloated bass sounds, though still has a bit of a funny balance to my ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back