Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
Jun 10, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #241 of 533
I received the HEM2's a few days ago and have been using them at work quite a bit. Boy, are these ever impressive sounding IEM's!

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #242 of 533
I received the HEM2's a few days ago and have been using them at work quite a bit. Boy, are these ever impressive sounding IEM's!

Great sound from a single BA. Just agreed a deal with another forum member for the HEM8s so hoping they make a similar impression at the top of the range that the 2s did at the bottom. How are they going against the A8s?

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #244 of 533
Great sound from a single BA. Just agreed a deal with another forum member for the HEM8s so hoping they make a similar impression at the top of the range that the 2s did at the bottom. How are they going against the A8s?

Yes, definitely great sound for a single BA! I've heard a few other single BA's in the past, most were competent but HEM2 seems more satisfying than the others I've heard. Very impressed with them for the price. I'll be very interested to hear how feel the HEM8's stack up against both the HEM2's and A8's.

For me, the Cardas A8's are on a whole other level than the HEM2's. The A8's are more visceral and substantial sounding. They've really grabbed me. As it stands now, the A8's will be staying home in my main setup and around the house while the HEM2's will be my travel/work phones.

Of course I've got the Zero's coming from Massdrop as well. It will be interesting to see how those fare. I'm really tempted by the Oriveti Primacy's Shotgunshanes Oriveti has listed in the classifieds but I don't think I can swing it right now.

Glad you're enjoying them!

Thanks for all your help!

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #245 of 533
My HEM8 arrive on Monday. Looking forward to seeing which one gets to stay in my permanent collection out of these and the Campfire Novas. Although, the way the Novas are working their way into my affections then if the HEM8 does the same I might end up having to get rid of some stuff higher up the food chain instead and keep 'em both. :wink:

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #246 of 533
HEM-6 ordered on sale, I will report at the end of the month (no listening before 50 good hours of burn-in, even though it may be useless for BAs).
I didn't go for HEM-8 because in the past, 3 BAs models often tended to outclass 4 BAs model of the same range, due to better coherence, and this is what very early reviews tend to say in this case as well.
Should be an interesting match versus ASG 2.5 and JVC HA-FX850 !
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #247 of 533
HEM-6 ordered on sale, I will report at the end of the month (no listening before 50 good hours of burn-in, even though it may be unseless for BAs).
I didn't go for HEM-8 because in the past, 3 BAs models often tended to outclass 4 BAs model of the same range, due to better coherence, and this is what very early reviews tend to say in this case as well.
Should be an interesting match versus ASG 2.5 and JVC HA-FX850 ! :wink:  

Nice. Where did you find the HEM6 on sale? Just putting the 8 through some warming up on my trusty Clip+ before listening - only need the 6 to finish listening to the whole series so might pick a pair up and sell on the loser if they are on for a decent price somewhere in Europe. Import tax from the US to the UK is a killer!

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #248 of 533
I'm a bit disappointed. I've had some issues with my ear and TMJ crop up again and I think it's the HEM2's that are the culprit. They're are generally really comfortable but when something about the angle and getting them seated seams to aggravate things more so than the A8's which have a shallower fit.

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #249 of 533
Nice. Where did you find the HEM6 on sale? Just putting the 8 through some warming up on my trusty Clip+ before listening - only need the 6 to finish listening to the whole series so might pick a pair up and sell on the loser if they are on for a decent price somewhere in Europe. Import tax from the US to the UK is a killer!

There's a French website proposing a -15€ per 100€ spent on all headphones including IEMs.
With -60€, the HEM-6 became more affordable (I wouldn't say cheap).

I even missed the Primo 8 at a killer price (300€).

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #251 of 533
HEM comes with separate signal ground, so it's natural that I tried a balance connection to use with Sony ZX2.  I am very surprised at the improvement, clarity improved, and frequency extremes are that much better.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #252 of 533
  I'm a bit disappointed. I've had some issues with my ear and TMJ crop up again and I think it's the HEM2's that are the culprit. They're are generally really comfortable but when something about the angle and getting them seated seams to aggravate things more so than the A8's which have a shallower fit.

I found when I wrap the cable around the back of my ears, they don't seat right into my ear and after awhile makes my ear sore. Turns out its perfectly fine when I stick them in without doing it like the box says and at the same time they sit correctly in my ears and dont make them hurt. Before they would be sore for an couple of days leaving my ears red.

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #253 of 533
I would like to give a big thumbs up to nmatheis. He's a true portable aficionado and a first-class champion in organizing rare auditions of a brand's line up - much appreciated.  I had the pleasure of listening to the NuForce HEM line up and below are my impressions:

Setup: lossless FLAC/HiRez-->Regen-->Dragonfly Red (DFR)
My go to iems for reference: Aurisonics ASG1plus, FAD Heaven VII

The comfort on all four models is a perfect 10.  It has the right size, geometry, and nozzle angle that made them disappear in my ears.  The cable looks identical to that the MeeAudio P1 - good, but not great.  For all four models, I used the same Spinfit tip that was augmented with a pair of Monster ear tip adapters.

HEM2 - Bass quantity over quality. Bass slightly bloated.  Early treble cutoff. Wider than average sound stage. Stage layering is flat.  Forward mids, with the upper mids and treble transition sounded disjointed. Warmest of the bunch. Tuned for low end response.

HEM4 - Much better treble extension.  Plucking of guitar strings.  Bass quantity and quality.  More sensitive over the HEM2 as everything is louder at the same volume level to the extent of sounding much more fuller.  Edgy and sibilant treble.  Very forward, smaller and very centered sound stage. Feels like being on stage.  Tuned for a stage monitor with the best stage layering.  The mid-bass and lower mids sounded a little disjointed.

HEM6 - In the past, I've found v-shaped sound signatures in abundance with 3 BA setups in particular like the Triplefi10 and Westone 3s'.  The HEM6 joins this club.  It's a fun signature.  It's what I started with when I initially joined this site, but as time went on, my ears have gravitated towards a more neutral and balanced signature, which out of the four HEM models, it's the most represented with the HEM8.

HEM8 - Wow, the sensitivity (SPL) on this is more than the previous three, much more.  I had to significantly lower the volume on my DFR.  Good news for those who don't want to carry an external amplification, which despite having the highest price tag can offset the total cost of portable setup. Very full yet the most detailed of the bunch, but slightly sibilant.  I felt string instruments weren't accurately represented and sounded slightly a little too thick. Vocals sounded a little nasally. I had the Primo8 and from memory it felt a better all around performer in terms of balance and neutrality over the HEM8. The biggest weakness with the HEM8 for me is that it lacks in combined depth and layering. Perhaps I've been use to and spoiled with the ASG1plus strengths.  Strangely, with the HEM8, on most tracks, I felt the drums sounded too forward.  Overall, the imaging didn't jive to what I've been use to with the ASG1plus and Heaven VII.  However, one area that the HEM8 does very well is the audience energy with live tracks.

I'm sure with the use of other tips, tricks, and techniques, my impressions may have changed a little here and there.  Based on my setup and tips, if I had to choose a model to keep and use, it would be the HEM4. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #255 of 533
  I would like to give a big thumbs up to nmatheis. He's a true portable aficionado and a first-class champion in organizing rare auditions of a brand's line up - much appreciated.  I had the pleasure of listening to the NuForce HEM line up and below are my impressions:

Setup: lossless FLAC/HiRez-->Regen-->Dragonfly Red (DFR)
My go to iems for reference: Aurisonics ASG1plus, FAD Heaven VII

The comfort on all four models is a perfect 10.  It has the right size, geometry, and nozzle angle that made them disappear in my ears.  The cable looks identical to that the MeeAudio P1 - good, but not great.  For all four models, I used the same Spinfit tip that was augmented with a pair of Monster ear tip adapters.

HEM2 - Bass quantity over quality. Bass slightly bloated.  Early treble cutoff. Wider than average sound stage. Stage layering is flat.  Forward mids, with the upper mids and treble transition sounded disjointed. Warmest of the bunch. Tuned for low end response.

HEM4 - Much better treble extension.  Plucking of guitar strings.  Bass quantity and quality.  More sensitive over the HEM2 as everything is louder at the same volume level to the extent of sounding much more fuller.  Edgy and sibilant treble.  Very forward, smaller and very centered sound stage. Feels like being on stage.  Tuned for a stage monitor with the best stage layering.  The mid-bass and lower mids sounded a little disjointed.

HEM6 - In the past, I've found v-shaped sound signatures in abundance with 3 BA setups in particular like the Triplefi10 and Westone 3s'.  The HEM6 joins this club.  It's a fun signature.  It's what I started with when I initially joined this site, but as time went on, my ears have gravitated towards a more neutral and balanced signature, which out of the four HEM models, it's the most represented with the HEM8.

HEM8 - Wow, the sensitivity (SPL) on this is more than the previous three, much more.  I had to significantly lower the volume on my DFR.  Good news for those who don't want to carry an external amplification, which despite having the highest price tag can offset the total cost of portable setup. Very full yet the most detailed of the bunch, but slightly sibilant.  I felt string instruments weren't accurately represented and sounded slightly a little too thick. Vocals sounded a little nasally. I had the Primo8 and from memory it felt a better all around performer in terms of balance and neutrality over the HEM8. The biggest weakness with the HEM8 for me is that it lacks in combined depth and layering. Perhaps I've been use to and spoiled with the ASG1plus strengths.  Strangely, with the HEM8, on most tracks, I felt the drums sounded too forward.  Overall, the imaging didn't jive to what I've been use to with the ASG1plus and Heaven VII.  However, one area that the HEM8 does very well is the audience energy with live tracks.

I'm sure with the use of other tips, tricks, and techniques, my impressions may have changed a little here and there.  Based on my setup and tips, if I had to choose a model to keep and use, it would be the HEM4. 

thank you for the detailed impression.
ive been watching for a good definition of the HEM8... i think yours is more accurately defined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back