Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
Mar 20, 2016 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 533

nmatheis

Headphoneus Supremus
In case you haven't heard, Nuforce is dropping four new BA IEM soon. I just got them in to try out and will be updating the thread with impressions as I try them out. In the meantime, here're some closeups and basic info...

Basic cable is SPC with two-pin connectors. You also get a cable with mic. No memory wire on either cable, but the cable adjacent to the connectors is shaped for over ear fit. All IEM have the same basic pacaging abd generous accessories kit. Fit is very stable and comfy. Will comment on sound over the next week as I listen...

Obligatory crappy smartphone pics :wink:

*FYI: HEM8 looks just like the black HEM6, which is why I didn't rip it out of the packaging for pics just yet ..

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 533
Hey B9Scrambler. How's it going, man? So far, I've only listened to the single BA HEM2. I think they're the richest single BA I've heard and don't accentuate sibilance, which I like. Depending on preferences, this could mean they're not transparent enough for you or they satisfy your need for full, smooth sound without setting off your treble alarm. Listening to some seriously old-skool Rush (Fly By Night album) out of Cayin N5 -> HEM2.

I've also listened to them out of the soon to be released Shanling M5, and they sounded even better with that pairing. More detailed without losing the smoothness.

More to come...

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 533
Hey @B9Scrambler. How's it going, man? So far, I've only listened to the single BA HEM2. I think they're the richest single BA I've heard and don't accentuate sibilance, which I like. Depending on preferences, this could mean they're not transparent enough for you or they satisfy your need for full, smooth sound without setting off your treble alarm. Listening to some seriously old-skool Rush (Fly By Night album) out of Cayin N5 -> HEM2.

I've also listened to them out of the soon to be released Shanling M5, and they sounded even better with that pairing. More detailed without losing the smoothness.

More to come...

Hello good sir! It's been going alright. Hope things are going well with you and that new position. 

Sounds like a pretty nice single BA. Thanks for the impressions! My BA experience is pretty limited, primarily to the UE600 and XBA-2 (both owned). Any idea how this would compare to either of those (other than probably being much better, haha)?

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 533
  Will there be a tour with these?

No, no, no. We do not say that four letter word. Unless you have authorization. Gonna get us shut down baby! Thread hasn't even reached double digit posts yet!
happy_face1.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 533
My bad.  I don't see a NuForce as a Sponsor.  Anyhow, interested in the 4 driver unit and if it's a retuned Primo8, which I enjoyed a while back despite the cable issues I had with it (flaking paint, not a deal).

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 533
The only reservation I have is that they are using a very similar molding from the primo 8. I liked this housing from the primo 8 but that nozzle design. I don't know if I am a fan of how narrow the nozzles are on these. Based on my own experience with the Primo 8 I wonder if that narrow nozzle design restricts some of the sonics coming from the BAs. These by all indications should be a update on the primo 8s.

In any case it will be interesting to hear how the HEM8 is tuned. I am with alpha. If they retuned these to be a touch more energetic up top while retaining the great mids of the primo 8 these are going to be outstanding.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 533

Will there be a tour with these?

My bad.  I don't see a NuForce as a Sponsor.  Anyhow, interested in the 4 driver unit and if it's a retuned Primo8, which I enjoyed a while back despite the cable issues I had with it (flaking paint, not a deal).

Definitely the tour is something we should consider. We used to sponsor and plan to do that in future as well. 

Although the paint flaking you mentioned was not common for Primo8 we have improved build quality, connectors, cables etc. Primo8 are great earphones but I am confident to say that the HEMs provide better user experience all the way from fit/comfort to sound quality. 

- Jyri/NuForce

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 533
  The only reservation I have is that they are using a very similar molding from the primo 8. I liked this housing from the primo 8 but that nozzle design. I don't know if I am a fan of how narrow the nozzles are on these. Based on my own experience with the Primo 8 I wonder if that narrow nozzle design restricts some of the sonics coming from the BAs. These by all indications should be a update on the primo 8s.

Actually it is exactly the opposite. The nozzles - starting from the angle, diameter, length etc - are designed for better sonics.  

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 533

Come on down to the Portland meet in May, and I'll give you a listen!

This is excellent news. It is all about advancement. Can't wait see how you guys have improved from the Primo 8s.

Curious to see what you think. I haven't heard Primo8 but have read about them being rather dark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back