Not Noob Advice.
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MusicalChillies

Previously known as Sinth.
Ok...

Lets say I was sitting with £300 ($450) and only have the Klipsch X10 but have (potentially sold) and listened to in my sig, what would you advise as something that maybe encompasses the lot?

Yes I know that it is all personal preference but if I had to sum up my best sound sig it would be like the MTPC (bassy, highly detailed) but more warmth like the X10.
Is warmth the right terminology? Very slight overall veil, a little like the X10 with the mids( north of neutral) and more top end without sibilance?

Too much to ask without the custom route?
Am I way off the mark saying Shure SE530? 

Stu

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 18
Sony EX1000, GR07, EX600, GR10, UM3x and Westone 4.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 18
SE535 might honestly be a sidegrade. It's got everything but I feel the X10 has better imaging and it's really a world class IEM for the price. I prefer even the UE TF.10 to the SE535 as well as a few other people on the boards. I don't that that is a unanimous opinion but it's just something to put into perspective.

I'll give a bump for the Westone UM3X and 4 though, both of those are very solid contenders for one of the better IEM's out there before you hit custom!

The UM3X is very detailed yet has a very solid and punchy bottom end. It's a very engaging experience with a lot of "meat" behind the sound signature without resorting to cheap tricks like thundering bass to keep the listener hooked. As for veil, I didn't pick up any on the UM2's I owned, the UM3X's I demo'ed were better, had a better high end and a warmer midrange, bass is more or less the same to me except faster since it was already really good to begin with.

At 300+ dollars, no IEM you get should have any sort of sibilance. The last time I heard that was when I was using Shure E3C's and listening to classical music with more violin in it. No that isn't my usual music preference, I just use that for reference purposes and I still rather enjoy it lol :)

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Sony EX1000, GR07, EX600, GR10, UM3x and Westone 4.

For someone who wants "bassy, highly detailed, very slight overall veil, mids (north of neutral) and more top end without sibilance" the EX1000 & EX600 may not be suitable. The MDR-7550/EX800 would be a better choice.

---------

I'd steer clear of the SE530, which to me has poor(ish) bass & rolled off treble and is not very detailed (good mids though).

I'd consider the W4 if you can get them for £300. I'd also consider the MDR-7550/EX800, which I prefer over the W4, but be warned the 7550s don't offer as much isolation as the Westones. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 18
Many thanks all. Westones seem to have what I am after then and even just the um3x.
Interesting, gives me more to read about. Will have to change my for phones listed for trade to sales.
Stu

ED: @Mark. Could have bought the 262`s for £70 last week on here....

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 18
After reading "non" Head-fi reviews the Shure se535 could possibly be what I want.

Read on here about the Westone W3, Um3x and W4 and there seems too many elements. "Oh X sound is great if you use X tips, don`t push X tips on too far etc"
Not being funny, that isn`t a way to convince someone to spend a fair bit of cash. I was actually surprised with the bickering from headfier to headfier between the Westone range.

I suppose now it is between the SE530 and the SE535. Cable seems to be better on the latter, not enough sound Q to upgrade from the 530 to the 535 but a first user, the 535 is bang on.

These will be used in home and tucked up in bed whereas the X10`s will still be taken care of but after they come in from the pub.

Mark,  I trust your judgment, have had convos before even if it was about venting and Denon`s etc.
I threw the shure`s into the mix and you were the only person to back up my theory without quoting. 

I am now going to purchase these before selling what I have. £300 ish. On the selling front, you will stumble across my post and what I have is mint condition.
Stu

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Bought. £300 via an Amazon seller. Shure SE535.
That`s it. Will ship out my sig minus the X10`s.

Fingers X`d
Stu

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 18
Hope you purchased from an authorized seller and not just some guy, or I'd be worried about fakes. Good luck on your purchase though!

Quote:
Bought. £300 via an Amazon seller. Shure SE535.
That`s it. Will ship out my sig minus the X10`s.

Fingers X`d
Stu

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 18
Aug 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Only 25 ratings and no mention of being authorized. Of course, this is no guarantee of fakes, it just brings the likelihood from 0-1% to 2-10% (estimation only of course). Basically, just test them out when you get them, and if they sound like you expect, I'm sure they'll be genuine.

Quote:

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 18
Not being funny mate, If Amazon used sellers who dealt in fake goods then believe me I would get my money back.
**** me, sorry for the language but are you hoping they are fake? Why would you even bring the subject up about "watch what you buy, wow, you never know"

Note from soundstige, never buy online unless you have been to their warehouse and have called in the manufaturers to authorise the item.

Get a grip man ***. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 18
I'm not sure why you're being so hostile, I'm only giving accurate and what is intended to be helpful advice. I guess you're hostile because it's your money; that's understandable. But there's no sense in ignoring real possibilities *especially* when so much money is involved.

The whole point is that Amazon *doesn't* "use" these third-party sellers. There's no screening or verification process. Becoming a 3rd-party seller on Amazon is the same thing as opening up an account on eBay; anyone and their mother can do it. Amazon isn't receiving the item from the 3rd party seller, checking it out, and then shipping it to you. You're just giving your money to some guy and hoping to get the genuine product in return. 99%+ of the time you get the genuine product, but only out of mutual trust.

But it doesn't serve you to be rude to those trying to help you. What incentive do I have to hope that you get a fake pair? I don't sell these headphones, I have no interest in making you buy from any particular source; I only have what I thought would be an appreciated sense of caution out of respect for your own hard-earned money. Oh well.

Quote:
Not being funny mate, If Amazon used sellers who dealt in fake goods then believe me I would get my money back.
**** me, sorry for the language but are you hoping they are fake? Why would you even bring the subject up about "watch what you buy, wow, you never know"

Note from soundstige, never buy online unless you have been to their warehouse and have called in the manufaturers to authorise the item.

Get a grip man ***. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 18
Ok mate, thank you for looking out for me.
Believe me, I am 37 not 7 and I am quite aware of the possibility of losing £X.

Will post with my findings.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Hope you purchased from an authorized seller and not just some guy, or I'd be worried about fakes. Good luck on your purchase though!

There's never been any reports of SE530, TF10 or Westone fakes (unlike IE8s) - I very much doubt there are SE535 fakes. Fakes are usually for items and/or brands that sell a lot, eg, Sennheiser, Sony, Bose, Monster, etc.

Quote:

Actually, there are plenty of Amazon Marketplace sellers who sell fake goods, but you're right, your can always get your money back if you know you've got fake goods.

Quote:

The whole point is that Amazon *doesn't* "use" these third-party sellers. There's no screening or verification process. Becoming a 3rd-party seller on Amazon is the same thing as opening up an account on eBay; anyone and their mother can do it

Wrong. It's more difficult (or less easy) to become an Amazon seller (at least on Amazon.co.uk) than an eBay seller.

----------------

What is true, though, is that if you have warranty issues, Shure will not honour the warranty if the item is not purchased from an authorised dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back