Nordost Heimdall headphone cable
Oct 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #61 of 191
Ok thanks for the responses, think I will try the heimdall 2 interconnects first and see if I notice a difference, hard to swallow $800 for a headphone cable for me still, wonder if I may see more benefit from adding something like the audiophileo 

I look at it like this.  The question isn't just about whether the cable = $800, per se,  The question is whether your cans plus the cable offers better sound than another headphone or headphone/cable combo at or below the price of 'yours'.  The Heimdall also offers the connectivity, out of the box to use 4-pin xlr, 1/4" or 3.5mm, so it is pretty much future-proof in terms of amp compatibility.

On inexpensive headphones, I'd probably recommend upgrading the 'phones, or a upper-level can or a flagship - cables at the level of the Heimdall will take you to the next level sonically, even if diminishing returns have set in.   At the end of the day, value is not an acceptable substitute for performance.

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #62 of 191
  For HD800 I think, Nordost Heimdall2 gave me more transparency, super clarity, better image.
and Cardas Clear give me a smoother laid back sound with less transparency or clarity.

In some record I prefer Cardas over Nordost but most of the time I prefer Nordost. :)

I agree that the Cardas is more laid back, but the Nordost has a beautifully rich harmonic quality that is just correct. The added clarity etc are a plus on top.

I much prefer the Nordost over the Cardas on both my LCD-3F's and LCD-X's.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #63 of 191
Has anyone compared the Cardas and Nordost over the Q cable.  I much prefer the Q cable over the stock cable on my LCD-X.  The Q is more open and smoother without being veiled in any way.  The stock cable is too analytical and artificial sounding to my ears.  

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #64 of 191
How about any comparisons to the WyWire red?  The reviews sound the same on improvements for a lot less money.  Also, Cardas has a new Clear Light that cost a lot less than the Clear but gets really close.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #65 of 191
Yeah I'm considering both the heimdsll and WyWires too. For $300 vs $800 it would be great if the sound quality improvement was similar

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #66 of 191
Listened to the WyWires at RMAF and they were nice but didn't get to compare them directly to the Nordost.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #67 of 191
Yeah I'm considering both the heimdsll and WyWires too. For $300 vs $800 it would be great if the sound quality improvement was similar

Thats what I'm hoping for, especially because the Audeze's just don't respond to after market cables like Senn's do.  At least that has been my experience, and from what I have read any changes seem to be quite subtle.  

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #68 of 191
I can't say enough how nice is to see so many open-minded people seeking for sonic perfection.

HD800 upgrade impressions anyone? LCD3 and HD800 are very different species, so it's curious how Heimdall plays along Senn's.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #69 of 191
For HD800 I think, Nordost Heimdall2 gave me more transparency, super clarity, better image. But matching is the most important thing before buying a headphone cable.

I once used JPS Labs power cords and interconnections with HD800+Heimdall2 and it sound very good. but after I change my PC and IC this setup is too bright for me.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #70 of 191
         I know this a thread about the headphone cable but I think there are some parallels concerning their interconnects as well .I have a pair of the heimdall 1 interconnects I purchased from music direct at their closeout price of 350 usd. I was happy to get it at that price but the price on the newer cable is even higher significantly higher at 939.99 for a 1 meter pair. The cable now costs almost as much as the lcd2. But for what I paid for the v1 I was happy. It was an improvement over my previous cable and at the closeout price not unreasonable. I have since discovered the cable pro reverie interconnect and with some time on it is already much better sounding than the original heimdall . The reverie is a much higher resolution cable than the original heimdall I am hearing things that the original heimdall completely misses. The heimdall is not bad cable it is pretty decent but it comes up short when compared to my new cable pro reverie interconnect. I wonder how much better the new heimdall 2 interconnect is but at the new price it way to expensive for my pockets. For others might I suggest you check out the cable pro reverie interconnect for less than half the price of the new heimdall 2 you get a really excellent sounding interconnect for more of a real world price.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #71 of 191
I just bought a LCD-X and I will also be VERY interested in any suggestion as for after market cable.  I already have WyWire RED for my ED5, and I like it but do not find it very flexible.

So for my LCX-X I am hesitating between another WyWire RED or the Nordost heimdall 2  or other like the Double Helix Molecule Xtreme ( or the Molecule SE... don't know the difference :) for example.  

They are in different price category, the Nordost being the most expensive !  So is the Nordost worth the extra price ? do you have other suggestions ? 

thanks 

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #72 of 191
  I just bought a LCD-X and I will also be VERY interested in any suggestion as for after market cable.  I already have WyWire RED for my ED5, and I like it but do not find it very flexible.

So for my LCX-X I am hesitating between another WyWire RED or the Nordost heimdall 2  or other like the Double Helix Molecule Xtreme ( or the Molecule SE... don't know the difference :) for example.  

They are in different price category, the Nordost being the most expensive !  So is the Nordost worth the extra price ? do you have other suggestions ? 

thanks 

For the X I tried Nordost Heimdall 2, Cardas Clear & ALO Salty Pepper.

The Nordorst was very resolving but tended at least on my system at that time to be a little on the lean side and over time became fatiguing. Typical of Silver cables. It was good, but ultimately I went with the Cardas Clear as I found it to be just as revealing but had a lush midrange which suited my tastes better.

I never liked Cardas cable before the Clear has a different sonic signature, not as dark and with good clarity. IMHO the X's are aready revealing so if you have tube gear then it could be each way, if you have SS then the Cardas is probably a better choice in my experience.

The ALO was not as good as either of the above.

YMMV - with cables such a personal choice, if you can best to demo at home or buy with a return policy.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #73 of 191
For the X I tried Nordost Heimdall 2, Cardas Clear & ALO Salty Pepper.

The Nordorst was very resolving but tended at least on my system at that time to be a little on the lean side and over time became fatiguing. Typical of Silver cables. It was good, but ultimately I went with the Cardas Clear as I found it to be just as revealing but had a lush midrange which suited my tastes better.

I never liked Cardas cable before the Clear has a different sonic signature, not as dark and with good clarity. IMHO the X's are aready revealing so if you have tube gear then it could be each way, if you have SS then the Cardas is probably a better choice in my experience.

The ALO was not as good as either of the above.

YMMV - with cables such a personal choice, if you can best to demo at home or buy with a return policy.

Thanks

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #74 of 191
I have a Black Dragon V2 balanced for my HD800. I go to my local audio store for fix up one of my source. I see they have to loan a Nordost Haimdall 2 for HD-800. I asking for the price. Then I laugh, finish my task and go home. I am a student with low budget..
Then I do some test from my Stock cable vs the Black Dragon. I was impress that I loved more my stock cable than the Black Dragon. Because BD have a less wide soundstage with less definition, but more impact, more bass, more smooth high. I have to say that my amp is a Bryston BHA-1 and people tell that the balanced mode is better than the single ended. So, I don't know what my balanced mode does to sound vs what cable does.

When I go to my local store again, I was thinking it will be a good idea to include the Nordost for more test; compare a balanced with a balanced. 

Then: ****!      Nice!       Caliss!     Wow!            ****, 800$... really! 

They are better! 
It's more like the sound of my stock cable, but better in all aspect without lost. More definition, more clarity, better imaging.

It's strange, because my source don't cost much more than the price of this cable. I have an 200$ interconnect... It's rational to buy a cable at this price before upgrade my source? 

Rig:
Marantz SA8004 » Bis interconnect » Bryston BHA-1 » HD-800
Or
Rega Planar 2 » Clear Audio Performer V2 » Cambridge Audio 540 » Bryston BHA-1 » HD800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back