Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #316 of 345

Quote:
Quote:
WOOT!!! My ue11's came!! The fit is damn near perfect too! :D

Pictures!!!

Ok. After spending a few days with them- I lied. They hurt after a few hours. Sending them out for refits tomorrow. lol. I just went with a simple ruby red and black faceplate combo. =P

PS: Big thanks for CEE TEE and Jude for the Head-Fi bands! :D

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #318 of 345

Quote:
Ok. After spending a few days with them- I lied. They hurt after a few hours. Sending them out for refits tomorrow. lol. I just went with a simple ruby red and black faceplate combo. =P

My UERMs hurt one of the folds in my right ear. How exactly do the refits work? I guess I need to see an audiologist that specializes in this stuff.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #319 of 345

Quote:
My UERMs hurt one of the folds in my right ear. How exactly do the refits work? I guess I need to see an audiologist that specializes in this stuff.

This is what I used last time:

http://ue-support.logitech.com/support/fit-tool/main.html

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #321 of 345
Actually, when sending back customs for refit, the best thing to do is to actually take a sharpie and mark the areas you want them to grind down. That way, they know EXACTLY where it hurts and needs to be changed. I've confirmed this with Jen from UE and she said don't worry about the sharpie marks either, because their lab techs will remove any excess marks after they're done.

Before you send them back, shoot an e-mail to Jen from UE (jcolacchio@ultimateears.com). She handles warranty and refit issues. I've dealt with her for both refit and warranty work on my UE4 and she was a pleasure to deal with. She responds within 24 hours, and always seems to make things right for the customer.

On a side note, I thought I liked the UE11's alot, but I've been listening to them for the past week, and I think the bass is a bit much for me. I actually found them to have more bass than the pair I demo'd at the meet (most likely due to the fact that the real customs have a better seal, which result in more bass)... Kinda wish I just went for the UE18 or UERM instead. :frowning2:

Quote:
Quote:

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #322 of 345
Awesome. Thank you! Didn't know there were so many fancy names of parts of the outer ear.

OUTER+MEMBRANE.jpg

When I needed a refit I simply told them where it hurt, for me it was on the inside flat of the tragus on both sides, one worse than the other. Came back and they are perfect now.

On a side note, I thought I liked the UE11's alot, but I've been listening to them for the past week, and I think the bass is a bit much for me. Kinda wish I just went for the UERM instead. :frowning2:

Yes, yes you do.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #324 of 345

The UE11's are definitely bass heavy as a custom.  As a universal with the foam tips when demo'ing with UE, it deadens the bass response a bit.  I use mine out of an iphone headphone jack, so it doesn't get enough amplication to make it unbearable though.  Too bad you're getting buyer's remorse already :frowning2:

Quote:
On a side note, I thought I liked the UE11's alot, but I've been listening to them for the past week, and I think the bass is a bit much for me. I actually found them to have more bass than the pair I demo'd at the meet (most likely due to the fact that the real customs have a better seal, which result in more bass)... Kinda wish I just went for the UE18 or UERM instead. :frowning2:

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #325 of 345

Quote:
The UE11's are definitely bass heavy as a custom.  As a universal with the foam tips when demo'ing with UE, it deadens the bass response a bit.  I use mine out of an iphone headphone jack, so it doesn't get enough amplication to make it unbearable though.  Too bad you're getting buyer's remorse already :frowning2:

Quote:

Yeah. I used to be quite the basshead too! I'm talking Sennheiser IE8's and Denon D2000 with max bass boost on an amp kind of bass head! lol. Guess my tastes have changed over time. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #326 of 345
People tend to be bassheads when the rest of the audio spectrum (mids to treble) is messed up (uneven FR, peaks, suckouts, ringing, etc.) Extra bass tends to mask these imperfections. Once these issues are addressed, the extra bass just gets in the way.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #327 of 345

Quote:
People tend to be bassheads when the rest of the audio spectrum (mids to treble) is messed up (uneven FR, peaks, suckouts, ringing, etc.) Extra bass tends to mask these imperfections. Once these issues are addressed, the extra bass just gets in the way.

x2 - I have this conversation all the time, but purely about the bass itself, especially referring to "how low it goes" vs "but, can you transcribe it?". Lower mud adds nothing if you can't hear the clarity. It is almost the 1 x 18", 2 x 15", or 4 x 12" in bass speaker cabinets. John Entwhistle believed in the last option - because he was playing something worth listening to on the bottom end, and not just plodding along. Guess it depends on what you want (or don't really care) to hear.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #328 of 345

Quote:

Hey!! I am a basshead and will always be one. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #329 of 345
For what it's worth, I had similar issues when I had the UE11pro. I heard good sound in there somewhere, but the bass was just way overdone. It reminded me of someone who had a pretty nice home theater setup but had cranked the sub up way too high because they felt more bass was always better than less bass. I ended up selling mine because I couldn't deal with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back