Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #331 of 345

Quote:
For what it's worth, I had similar issues when I had the UE11pro. I heard good sound in there somewhere, but the bass was just way overdone. It reminded me of someone who had a pretty nice home theater setup but had cranked the sub up way too high because they felt more bass was always better than less bass. I ended up selling mine because I couldn't deal with it. 

Just curious, do the UM Merlins have the same sort of sound as the UE11?

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #332 of 345

Quote:
Wait, you know my dad??

Ha! That made me chuckle. 

Quote:
Just curious, do the UM Merlins have the same sort of sound as the UE11?

Nope, they are much more controlled/balanced in terms of the bass stepping all over everything else. 

Here's the FR chart of the regular Merlin:

Notice how the low frequencies only start rising below 500Hz or so, and don't get really boosted until maybe 200Hz. The IE-8 (for example) is up at least 5dB already at 500Hz and has a much sharper climb from there, cresting around 100Hz and then actually rolling off a bit in the true sub-bass regions. Can you say midbass bloat? I'd guess the UE11 is somewhat similar.

For comparison, here is my Merlin:

I got to choose between the prototype with a less boosted low end, and the final version with more emphasis. I chose the proto because it still has mad kick (up 5dB where it counts) but is still balanced enough to be an all around performer.

I still think UM should sell a version like this but I can see why they don't - it would cannibalize sales from their more expensive Miracle model. So I'm the only one who gets to enjoy it.... lucky me!

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #333 of 345
Is anyone around here (literally- like in the San Mateo/mid-peninsula area) interested in a Bottlehead Crack?  I want to do one, and I know I missed the cut off for the price increase last month.  But I was/am going to do it anyway @$279.  If we buy two, you get 10% off- or $251.  And before you say, "Hey, how about starting a group buy?", it looks like ones in the past were for 12 units and 15% off.  I don't think I want to go though all of that to save a few bucks.  Anyway, if you are interested, please PM or reply here.  Thanks!!!

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #334 of 345

Quote:
Is anyone around here (literally- like in the San Mateo/mid-peninsula area) interested in a Bottlehead Crack?  I want to do one, and I know I missed the cut off for the price increase last month.  But I was/am going to do it anyway @$279.  If we buy two, you get 10% off- or $251.  And before you say, "Hey, how about starting a group buy?", it looks like ones in the past were for 12 units and 15% off.  I don't think I want to go though all of that to save a few bucks.  Anyway, if you are interested, please PM or reply here.  Thanks!!!

I'd be interested in doing a group by for the Smack... I already built a Crack.  I don't think we could get discounts for a mixed order.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #335 of 345

Quote:
I'd be interested in doing a group by for the Smack... I already built a Crack.  I don't think we could get discounts for a mixed order.

Thanks for the reply!  I sent them an email asking if they would do such a thing.  I almost don't see why not.  (1) Crack + (1) Smack is more $$$ than (2) Crack amps.  I'm actually considering just getting the Smack because if I were to do the Speedball upgrade later, the price difference would be that much less.  But I really, really like the small footprint (and simplicity) of the Crack.  BTW, I plan on doing this between now and summer- it doesn't really matter and I'm flexible on the 'when'.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #336 of 345
I already have an order in for a Crack+Speedball (put in over 2.5 weeks ago)... otherwise I'd double up with you.  I missed the Crack's price bump deadline, but got in before the Speedball went up in price.

In other news, my UERMs showed up yesterday... and they're totally awesome.  I love the extra isolation I get (versus the Shure E4c I've been using for years) and the sound is fantastic.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #337 of 345
Grats on the UERM. I love mine. What colors/art did you go with? Here's mine:

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #338 of 345

Quote:
Grats on the UERM. I love mine. What colors/art did you go with?

Wow, yours look really nice.  I was caught off-guard when I won them and had no idea what colors I wanted... so I decided to go with the default look and style.  I'm happy with how it looks by default and figured I'd feel less guilty just being as easy as possible for them.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #339 of 345
The default style is very nice. Classy and understated. I mostly wanted an easy way to tell left from right so I matched channel colors red = right and white (clear) = left.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #340 of 345
Oh.  For some reason I didn't think they could do the carbon fiber like that.  
blink.gif

Very nice...please don't give me reasons to want another custom!

On another note, am loving the Super 7 amp.  Hard to stop listening to everything "just to see how it sounds" through the new set-up.

Quote:
Grats on the UERM. I love mine. What colors/art did you go with? Here's mine:

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #341 of 345

Quote:

On another note, am loving the Super 7 amp.  Hard to stop listening to everything "just to see how it sounds" through the new set-up.

Common affliction.  ;^)>

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #343 of 345
Dang!  I wish I had been following the forum more closely.  Is there a e-calendar I can subscribe to that would keep us all posted on upcoming events?  Looks like a great show!  Particularly loved the DIY aspect

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #344 of 345
^Sorry, no e-Calendar...but if you check in with the regional meets thread just once a month, you won't miss any BIG meet & will probably catch any small meets.

Tip: Going to the big meets and meeting folks gets you invited to the behind-the-scenes smaller meets too!

May 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #345 of 345
    Wow i really like that technics reel to reel deck.I bet it sounded awesome.I heard a pioneer reel to reel last year and it smoked a vpi superscoutmaster vinyl deck with the belt drive.It was not even close the reel had much better dynamic range and that was just the pioneer. The technics is on a whole other level.I know that reel to reel can be a pain and are not the most user friendly but when it comes to sound Imho nothing beats a reel to reel at 30ips not to mention 15ips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back