Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #301 of 345
A phono pre-amp is quite different than a normal preamp. A phono pre-amp has to equalize the output of the TT to sound normal.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #302 of 345
I'll need the phono preamp to amplify and equalize (to RIAA standard) the signal from my turntable to the Super 7.

(My vintage Sansui integrated receiver needs to have some cap-replacing done before I can use it.)

The preamp is <very> adjustable, with different phono input jacks for Moving Magnetic and Moving Coil cartridges (MC carts output less voltage/can vary in output).

And, I'm glad that I got in on the Super 7 Pre-Order...that was my rationalization to go out and buy extra tubes. 
redface.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #303 of 345

Quote:
I've seen headphone amps used as pre-amps for speaker amps before, but I didn't know that pre-amps were used with headphone amps.  Is this because the Super 7 is too powerful for low-sensitivity headphones, or for some other reason?

I assume you are referring to the Phono pre which should be for the turntable when it arrives.

I must say that I like how the Super 7 is labeled as entry-level on their website for $1800 -  quite ballsy :)

It was $1300 but he only had 10 or so takers buy in from the preorder instead of the 30 needed to justify the price so it had to go up to $1800.  Once you hear it next to the $4000 BA you'll understand what a great value it is.  Unlike other vendors Craig doesn't deliberately make his entry priced stuff sound like crap in comparison to tier his products.  They all do remarkably well in stepping out of the way of the music and letting the source just pour forth.  Most SS vendors can't seem to get Amp 101 right compared to what Craig does with tubes.  

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #304 of 345
VERY tempted to pick up the Super 7 but at an increase of $500 I'm not too certain now. How does the Super 7 compare with Decware amplifiers, particulary the Mini Torii? They both are in the same price range and are high on my to get list.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #305 of 345
Poop I wish I could have made it..

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #306 of 345

Quote:
VERY tempted to pick up the Super 7 but at an increase of $500 I'm not too certain now. How does the Super 7 compare with Decware amplifiers, particulary the Mini Torii? They both are in the same price range and are high on my to get list.

The S7 is above the Mini Torii technically.  I like the Mini Torii better than the Leben 300 if that means anything.

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #310 of 345
Quote:
A bit off topic, but does anybody have details about the upcoming EC Electra? I can't find a thing. Specifically, I'm interested in the price, but of course all other details are welcome. 

Last I talked to Craig (about a week ago,) price was "less than 3K."

In Brief (his words):

The production Electra is nearing completion. The metal is finished, and the circuit board is being made. I hope to have the finished amp in March, production in April, delivery in May, price less than $3k.
The Electra is an all tube original design, 4 6SN7 tubes, and four 6L6GTB. Balanced input to output. Front panel has balanced, unbalanced input switch, bias adjust, and volume. The amp swings power, 40 watts of plate power per channel, 1800 volts peak to peak.
Sometime in March I will have an electrostatic headphone meet open to interested parties. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #311 of 345
That price is really attactive, especially given the specs, and Craig's expertise. I expected $4k+. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #313 of 345

Just curious, other than maybe the BA, what do you have above the S7 both technically and sonically? The TTJV Pinnacle?  I've never been a tube guy, but I really liked the Zana and curious what also plays in the same league as the Balancing Act. Maybe the new Donald North?

Quote:
The S7 is above the Mini Torii technically.  I like the Mini Torii better than the Leben 300 if that means anything.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #315 of 345
Anaxilus, CEE TEE: Thanks for the explanations.  I don't know jack about anything vinyl-related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back