Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #226 of 345
Quote:
I thought I'd let you know that I ended up buying a pair of the K702's after hearing your "budget-fi" set-up!  To my ears, it definitely competed with most of the other high-end gear at the meet.      

This is great.  A LOT of stuff sounds good that is under $10,000.  I know it is hard to chime in when everyone has been talking about the Orpheus or other BIG set-ups.  

Would be nice to keep hearing about impressions of other REALLY NICE KIT that wasn't in the "Stratosphere Room".  
bigsmile_face.gif

(Or even talk of kit that wasn't quite up to expectations is fine too.) 

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #227 of 345
Agreed.  Despite what some others say, the K702 delivers high-end sound to your ears, and is still one of the best buys in audio after the MS-1, especially when bought used since is is a gateway for so many people.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #228 of 345

Quote:
This is great.  A LOT of stuff sounds good that is under $10,000.  I know it is hard to chime in when everyone has been talking about the Orpheus or other BIG set-ups.  

Would be nice to keep hearing about impressions of other REALLY NICE KIT that wasn't in the "Stratosphere Room".  
bigsmile_face.gif

I mentioned it before, but I went to the meet with the hope of finding an amp for my HD650 that wouldn't break the bank.  I came away really liking the Schiit Valhalla (moreso than the Lyr or Asgard)... and now I'm wondering about the Bottlehead Crack and the Little Dot stuff.

Basically, I'm thinking I like the sound of tubes, but I'm a little bit hung up on... you know... tubes.  Tube rolling feels like another rabbit hole to go down, and I'm not crazy of the idea of the tubes themselves.  Still, if that's the price you pay...

But yeah, I'm more interested in "the best bang for the buck" rather than "the best", which I felt there was more of at the meet... not that I'm complaining about the chance to listen to "the best". :)

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #229 of 345
It's a good point. Meets tend to be the best gear. When HD650 was a TOTL can they were everywhere, now with planars and HD800s T1s, etc out and about, you hardly ever see HD650s anymore. A lot of the meet-going crowd have either finished their journey, are almost done, or are well on their way to being done with their gear and as such low and mid-fi stuff isn't as well represented. Depending on the location of the meets, the cost of transportation factors in as well. If you want to show off your multi-thousand $ setup(s) spending $100 on gas doesn't seem too bad. Someone with a $500 rig isn't as likely to do the same unless he is looking to upgrade.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #230 of 345

Quote:
I thought I'd let you know that I ended up buying a pair of the K702's after hearing your "budget-fi" set-up!  To my ears, it definitely competed with most of the other high-end gear at the meet.      

+1  

'Audiophiles' get caught up in hyperbole (self-included) and easily lose perspective on a lot of things.  I like the idea that purrin threw out for the upcoming L.A. meet of having a few budget rigs under $1k.  I hope this talk doesn't discourage the rock stars (n3rdling et al) from showing up though.  We need both- dreams and the real world.

Quote:
Basically, I'm thinking I like the sound of tubes, but I'm a little bit hung up on... you know... tubes.  Tube rolling feels like another rabbit hole to go down, and I'm not crazy of the idea of the tubes themselves.  Still, if that's the price you pay...

I just picked up a 'demo' Valhalla from Audio Advisor.  One of the reasons I got this amp was the fact that Schiit explicitly says NOT to roll tubes on this one.  So there you have it- a tube amp with a built-in incentive not to roll tubes!  I am even considering getting an Asgard as well.  At these prices, amp rolling is not much worse (or better) than rolling tubes.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #231 of 345

Quote:
I just picked up a 'demo' Valhalla from Audio Advisor.  One of the reasons I got this amp was the fact that Schiit explicitly says NOT to roll tubes on this one.  So there you have it- a tube amp with a built-in incentive not to roll tubes!  I am even considering getting an Asgard as well.  At these prices, amp rolling is not much worse (or better) than rolling tubes.

I believe Donald feels the same way about his Stratus.  Tuned to sound best w/ cheap, current production stock.  Can't imagine they wouldn't scale a bit but who knows.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #232 of 345
I selected and tuned the amp with the stock tubes with which it will ship. A couple months ago I tried some NOS Sylvania double flat black plates and no doubt it sounded even better, maintaining the tonality with higher microdynamic resolution. What I didn't want was people to think that they automatically must ditch the stock tubes and seek out NOS ones.

Quote:
I believe Donald feels the same way about his Stratus.  Tuned to sound best w/ cheap, current production stock.  Can't imagine they would scale a bit but who knows.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #233 of 345

Quote:
I believe Donald feels the same way about his Stratus.  Tuned to sound best w/ cheap, current production stock.  Can't imagine they wouldn't scale a bit but who knows.

Oops, fixed.  Must have been late...

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #234 of 345

Quote:
Quote:

bigsmile_face.gif

(Or even talk of kit that wasn't quite up to expectations is fine too.) 

I agree whole heartedly, especially as I try to keep my home set up in the mid-fi range.  While these meets are awesome for exposing yourself to what some of the high end audiophile gear sounds like, there is good gear at all price points.  The temptation is definitely there to purchase the higher end rigs for that extra bit of detail/soundstage/bass/etc that they provide, but you can definitely enjoy music without spending more than a few hundred bucks. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #235 of 345
Thanks for chiming in on non-TOTL gear, @Thojo, @uzi, @Maxvla, @Mkubota1, @SanJoseCanJunkie.

(Had fun listening to my AKG K240s last night and a co-worker has been having a lot of fun with them out of his phone today...
atsmile.gif
)

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #236 of 345
Got a call from a UE rep today confirming my order.  She said that I should have my UERMs in about 11 days.  (Just a heads up for others that are getting UE stuff from the show.)

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #237 of 345

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in on non-TOTL gear, @Thojo, @uzi, @Maxvla, @Mkubota1, @SanJoseCanJunkie.

(Had fun listening to my AKG K240s last night and a co-worker has been having a lot of fun with them out of his phone today...
atsmile.gif
)

Oh sure.... but you nearly gave me the stink eye when I offered my M50's for you to try! Hmmmph.
wink_face.gif

The 'fi' is to low for you? 
dt880smile.png

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #238 of 345
^Mr.shane55,

The venerable @rhythmdevils let me borrow his M50's a couple of months ago and I was expecting BIG bass for some reason...was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the case!

(So that's why I turned your M50's down...
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back