Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #242 of 345

Quote:
This amplifier looks gorgious. It has some familiarities with this Woo Audio Mono Block Amplifier that retails for 10.000 USD. Which one is the one shown on this picture here?

Didn't see a response... 

These are two separate amps (one Single Ended - One Electrostatic) they are hand built by the great Frank Cooter.  I always enjoy the amps while I can - because I probably will never see them again... :frowning2:

Cheers,
mikey

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #243 of 345
@purrin asked about mini^3 portable amp voltage...

This from AMB:

"The two LiPo cells is nominally 7.2V but through much of its charged runtime it's above 8V (fully charged is 8.3V).  Compare this to a 7-cell "9V" NiMH battery which is nominally 8.4V but typically runs a bit higher than 9V fully-charged.  So basically, with LiPo power, you lose about 1V.  But the reality is slightly better than that, because the Mini3 LiPo version uses low-dropout schottky diodes in the power circuit instead of the NiMH version's standard diodes, and we gain back about 0.7V.  So, all told, the maximum output voltage swing is approximately the same from both variants, but the LiPo version runs almost 24 hours (high performance edition) or 50 hours (extended runtime edition) per charge, and takes only about 1.5 hour to charge from fully-depleted to fully-charged.

When running on external power, the LiPo version uses a 9V regulated DC wallwart while the NiMH version uses an unregulated 15-24V wallwart (but is regulated down to 12V internally)."

So, if you might be using with the wallwart mostly- the non-LiPo version can run with more power...otherwise the LiPo versions will just run longer.  I'll keep one of each version around!

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #249 of 345

Quote:
Those pads are what we call old and worn, probably sun bleached or run through the wash.

Quick... someone measure them to see if they're better than 'ordinary' 600s!  
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #250 of 345
PPS - did anybody mention that we were at a bar in San Francisco and somebody recognized Jude right away and said "your the Head-Fi guy"!  

Too bad I didn't have the M-100 and my other prototypes there, they were on loan to a customer... but it's done now!!! 

-v

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #252 of 345
A friend of mine recommended this site to me after I mentioned wanting to get new headphones, and I can see my timing it terrible as I just missed this meetup.  Can you guys suggest some good place in the Bay Area to try out headphones?  I'm was initially looking for a wireless open pair, but I am considering just running a long cord from my receiver (15 feet or so) and getting a wired pair.  I want some to use when I'm watching TV in the evenings so I don't disturb the neighbors.  Does Best Buy have a good selection?  I'm in the Palo Alto area.  

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #253 of 345
There are some places around the Bay Area, but what they've got is $$ dependent. How much were you planning to spend?

About Best Buy, they're going to have low to mid fi level phones and not fabulous prices for what they sell. they do have listening station. Alternately, if you're not wanting to dive deep into headphone madness, you can check out a limited number of phones at any local Apple store.

If you want to spend more money there's Audio High in Mountain View (CEE TEE's home turf, he may know more about them) http://www.audiohigh.com/. Audio Vision in SF has Denons and Grados
http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=iPod_headphone. I'd give them a call before coming all the way to the city and it looks as though they're pretty pricey.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #254 of 345
Audio High is now a dealer for Audeze, I believe.  They had an RSA Dark Star and another brand of amps/DACs there to try when I was there (Chord was the other brand of amps, I believe).

Might want to call to be sure they have some in stock before visiting them as they are primarily a home theater and speaker/high-end audio store. 

And the Audeze phones will set you back $1,000 (LCD-2 r2) or $2,000 (LCD-3).

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #255 of 345
I'm more in the $100-$200 price range.  This is my first foray into more expensive headphones. I bought Ultimate Ears UE600's a few years ago at an airport while traveling, I just wanted something that would seal out background noise.  I think I paid $120, and they are the most expensive ones I own.  I won some Sound Blaster Tactics 3D sigma headphones at a raffle.  I don't play computer games, so I was going to get rid of them, I think I'll stick them on eBay.  I have a simple Logitec computer headset for Skype, but I don't use it too often. 

I'll call Audio High, see if they carry stuff in my price range.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back