Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #256 of 345
There is going to be another California meet this summer, but it will be down south. Check the other thread for details if you would be interested in going.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #257 of 345
I'm more in the $100-$200 price range.  This is my first foray into more expensive headphones. I bought Ultimate Ears UE600's a few years ago at an airport while traveling, I just wanted something that would seal out background noise.  I think I paid $120, and they are the most expensive ones I own.  I won some Sound Blaster Tactics 3D sigma headphones at a raffle.  I don't play computer games, so I was going to get rid of them, I think I'll stick them on eBay.  I have a simple Logitec computer headset for Skype, but I don't use it too often. 

I'll call Audio High, see if they carry stuff in my price range.  

I think Audio High is going to be way too pricey. You might want to mosey over to the Buying Headphones thread and ask around there for suggestions. Be sure to tell people the sort of music you enjoy. Another thing to consider, you can get phones from Amazon for a trial. The return policy is pretty forgiving of you buy from them and not a retailer on the site.

Finally, why don't you just go over to Best Buy and the Apple Store? They have set ups, you can listen to a range of different headphones that (with the exception of the Beats) will be in your price range.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #258 of 345

Quote:
Finally, why don't you just go over to Best Buy and the Apple Store? They have set ups, you can listen to a range of different headphones that (with the exception of the Beats) will be in your price range.

+1 on the Apple Store/ Best Buy.  It's all we have that I know of around here.  
mad.gif
  BB in San Carlos has Magnolia, which has some AKG K702s and Sennheiser HD595s.  I know those are a bit over your budget, but you can at least get an idea of what people are talking about.  The Apple Store at Hillsdale has the requisite Beats and Bose.  BTW, give those a try- you might find that people sometimes exaggerate on this site.  Some are horrible- others not so much.  They also have the B&W P5s (again, over your budget @ $299).  They used to have Incase Sonics on display, which I thought were quite good at $149.  But now they're just on the shelf for purchase.  You might also try the Microsoft Store that recently opened in Valley Fair.  They had V-MODAs on display (probably some other stuff too), and then you could go next door to the Sony Store and try some of their stuff.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #259 of 345
There should be a name for the phenomenon of the "after-meet" buying frenzy.

Have had a flurry of PMs and emails about lots of stuff purchased recently!

(I just grabbed a TTVJ Hybrid Portable from another HF member and also am picking up one of the last TTVJ Phono Preamps from Todd!)

Todd Tube n' Vinyl Junkie??

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #260 of 345

Quote:

(I just grabbed a TTVJ Hybrid Portable from another HF member and also am picking up one of the last TTVJ Phono Preamps from Todd!)

Todd Tube n' Vinyl Junkie??

lol. Seriously. After I heard the HD800's at the meet, I've been browsing the FS section everyday hoping for a set to pop up. The only issue is that my girlfriend knows what I'm doing, which isn't good since she is already unhappy after she found out I placed an order for some UE11's at the meet. =/

My only argument was that she always buys Coach bags whenever we go to outlets because "the discount is sooo good, it's hard to resist," and that i was placed in the same irresistible situation at the meet with the UE11's. :D

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #261 of 345

Quote:

I was one of 'em.  I'm getting a Mini^3 to power the UERMs (both have yet to arrive).  I liked the Schiit Valhalla for my HD650, but decided to try my hand at the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade (on order... and I'll get a Valhalla if it doesn't pan out).  I've been wanting to get the Denon AH-D2000 to possibly replace my Shure SRH-840, and with a couple of coworkers mentioning that they wanted some as well, I put in an order for a few on the cheap(ish) at J&R (they retail $350, I paid $215 apiece after some negotiation and then read that you can get 'em for $210 apiece if you ask for the Head-Fi deal).

So yes... damn you all... and yet I look forward to the next meet...

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #262 of 345

Quote:
lol. Seriously. After I heard the HD800's at the meet, I've been browsing the FS section everyday hoping for a set to pop up. The only issue is that my girlfriend knows what I'm doing, which isn't good since she is already unhappy after she found out I placed an order for some UE11's at the meet. =/

My only argument was that she always buys Coach bags whenever we go to outlets because "the discount is sooo good, it's hard to resist," and that i was placed in the same irresistible situation at the meet with the UE11's. :D

I bought/ am buying a ton of stuff, so if I have to suffer...

Boom!!!   http://www.crutchfield.com/p_143HD800R/Sennheiser-HD-800-Factory-Refurbished.html?tp=36775
($1100 once you put them in your cart)

Your gf might start going for LV if you keep this up!  
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #263 of 345

Quote:

It's been a struggle to keep my credit card in my wallet after the meet.  I've almost purchased the W3000ANV a couple of times the past couple of weeks, and another one has popped up on the FS forums this morning.....

The only thing keeping me from buying something is that I know I have a big expense in April when I go on vacation. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #264 of 345

Quote:
Quote:

I bought/ am buying a ton of stuff, so if I have to suffer...

Boom!!!   http://www.crutchfield.com/p_143HD800R/Sennheiser-HD-800-Factory-Refurbished.html?tp=36775
($1100 once you put them in your cart)

Your gf might start going for LV if you keep this up!  
tongue.gif

bahahaha! You're a terrible terrible person. =P

*off to look for a new amp*

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #265 of 345

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better if the headphones were sitting on your ears instead of all that hair
confused.gif
?

350x467px-LL-670ce617_lcd2.jpeg

True. But the shot is candid... and fantastique! While Audez'e is looking to restore Public Relations and disarm angry mobs 
rolleyes.gif
 , a disarming face as this one could do wonders for the upstart.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #267 of 345
Though familiar with many IEMs, this was my first time hearing many full sized headphones. While I loved many of the headphones I heard, there were two that stood out, the HD800 and the UE IERM demo.

If I didn't have a JH13 on order, I would have bought the IERM at the meet. It's been six weeks, and my JH13s still have not shown up. I hope I'm just not disappointed with them after experiencing the IERM.

Then there is the HD800... This meet ignited a need for me to, once again, obtain a full size headphone set up. What particularly intrigued me was their imaging ability, along with comfort. However, after reading up on the HD700s, I want to hear them before pulling the trigger on an HD800.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #268 of 345

Quote:

Have to say, Coach leatherwork is phenomenal.  You GF knows what's she's doing.  Encourage her and deposit the goodwill and support in your psychological register.  Freud called this audio Karma.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #269 of 345
We're getting off topic, but I have to say: some of the nicest leather I've touched was on a handbag.  I'm waiting for any of my loved ones to proclaim that they are tossing or giving away a previous year's design so that I may harvest the leather.  Someone will probably beat me to it, but I can imagine a Louis headband or something like that would make quite an attractive upgrade for those of us who know a lady who's into Grado or Fostex (or Beyer or Sennheiser or...)

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #270 of 345
This is incredibly off-topic, but I just wanted to throw this out there since I was just telling another head-fier about this...

You know head-fi has ruined, and/or, taken over your life when you've spent the last two nights dreaming and having nightmares about a pair of UE11's. Seriously, it's rather disturbing. One night, i had a dream that they finally arrived, and I was just so happy.... until I woke up and realized I didn't really have them- ruined my day.

The next night, I had a nightmare that I got the UPS e-mail from UE for my UE11's; however, every time I checked the tracking number online, the "days until arrival" kept increasing. First it was 2 business days, then 5, then 7, then 14... lol. 

YOU SEE WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE TO ME?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back