Noob trying to decide on speakers. Help/Suggestions?
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 23
When I first picked up the 305 and was first getting into speakers and home theater, I was so surprised how much better they sound when you position them correctly compared to incorrectly. It makes a ton of difference.

Just wait until you hear how much the sound improves with full-size stands! I experimented with all sorts of positions in my room.

One of my favorites was this one: https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9979309.jpg

(That position didn't adhere strictly to the equilateral triangle, but I found the sound a little more engaging when the speakers were wider and I was a bit closer to them than the distance between them.)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #17 of 23
Just wait until you hear how much the sound improves with full-size stands! I experimented with all sorts of positions in my room. One of my favorites was this one:

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9979309.jpg
I'd love to try that but my desk is 8 feet long and has zero room for stands, I'm sure you saw one of my setup pics floating around :p I do have a pair of similar stands waiting to be opened when I get home, and those are for my home theater rears but perhaps in the future I can try throwing the 305 on them just as a little experiment

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #18 of 23
I'd love to try that but my desk is 8 feet long and has zero room for stands, I'm sure you saw one of my setup pics floating around :p I do have a pair of similar stands waiting to be opened when I get home, and those are for my home theater rears but perhaps in the future I can try throwing the 305 on them just as a little experiment

You reply so quickly. I had already edited my post, so check it again for a little update. haha

And yes, I saw at least two of your photos, but you can always change your setup.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #19 of 23
I'd love to try that but my desk is 8 feet long and has zero room for stands, I'm sure you saw one of my setup pics floating around :p

You don't need "fullsize" - as long as you can get them to the proper height (or angled up/down as long as they're a significant distance to begin with) so as to have the tweeters and midwoofers equidistant to your head, that's fine. Fullsize stands just tend to be more stable especially with how they can be mass loaded, on top of which you'd sit farther out, but you can work around that for desk set-ups. Like make wood boxes at the height you need and fill them with sand.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 23
You don't need "fullsize" - as long as you can get them to the proper height (or angled up/down as long as they're a significant distance to begin with) so as to have the tweeters and midwoofers equidistant to your head, that's fine. Fullsize stands just tend to be more stable especially with how they can be mass loaded, on top of which you'd sit farther out, but you can work around that for desk set-ups. Like make wood boxes at the height you need and fill them with sand.

Yep. I think one of the main advantages of full-size stands is that it opens up the possibilities for room placement, which in turn really opens up the sound. Having them on a desk/table is quite limiting in comparison, plus the sound can resonate through the furniture even with desk stands.

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 23
I understand, they're already at the proper height and everything so I'm confident I'm getting the best sound from them, short of having more expensive isolation gear

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 23
I understand, they're already at the proper height and everything so I'm confident I'm getting the best sound from them, short of having more expensive isolation gear

That's just the beginning. There's also positioning in the room, room acoustics and treatments, EQ...

Having them close to you on a desk sounds mediocre compared to more spacious positions. I can tell you this from experience.

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 23
Hi. So I'm planning on getting some speakers. I am a noob in this field.

So far I have been suggested two different options.
One set I have been suggested is the Edifier 2000DB which are gonna cost around £200.
I am told that if I buy these I don't need anything else I'm ready to just plug in and go.

But then I had a look around on here and seen that the JOB LSR305 were well received by you all. I can get a pair of these for £200 also.

The problem is I don't know if I need an amp etc for JBL. Also people have told me that the Edifier speakers mentioned have higher power capabilities I'm not even sure what this means?

I am looking for speakers for my bedroom/livingroom which I can hook up to both my or phone (rooms are roughly the same size 10x10x8 ft). Bluetooth is a feature I'm interested in. I'm not sure if the JBL speakers have this function but I have found something on Amazon would this allow them to?

Anything else I need to know about using these speakers would be great. Like I said I'm totally new to all this. I seen someone mention to be careful with volume on JBL speakers through pc too?

Thanks for any help.
Hi, I have a couple of noob questions I seem unable to find answers to: 1> Once you have calibrated your speakers how do you control the listening volume of a surround monitoring system? Is it common to have a volume control device between the audio interface and the speakers (the equivalent of a Mackie Big Knob for example) or is the volume controlled on the computer? 2> On many 2.1 monitoring systems the satellite speakers are fed from the sub which applies a low cut so sub frequencies aren’t sent to the satellites. How is this achieved on 5.1 setups? Is each speaker fed a full-range signal? Are satellite speakers fed a low-cut signal from the audio interface? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back