Noob trying to decide on speakers. Help/Suggestions?
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

perrymcg

New Head-Fier
Hi. So I'm planning on getting some speakers. I am a noob in this field.

So far I have been suggested two different options.
One set I have been suggested is the Edifier 2000DB which are gonna cost around £200.
I am told that if I buy these I don't need anything else I'm ready to just plug in and go.

But then I had a look around on here and seen that the JOB LSR305 were well received by you all. I can get a pair of these for £200 also.

The problem is I don't know if I need an amp etc for JBL. Also people have told me that the Edifier speakers mentioned have higher power capabilities I'm not even sure what this means?

I am looking for speakers for my bedroom/livingroom which I can hook up to both my or phone (rooms are roughly the same size 10x10x8 ft). Bluetooth is a feature I'm interested in. I'm not sure if the JBL speakers have this function but I have found something on Amazon would this allow them to?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-..._ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=electronics&tag=av0c-21

Anything else I need to know about using these speakers would be great. Like I said I'm totally new to all this. I seen someone mention to be careful with volume on JBL speakers through pc too?

Thanks for any help.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 23
The JBL LSR305 is what I started with. If your budget is $300 or so, they would be my recommendation.

They are powered (with a dedicated amp inside for both the woofer and tweeter) so you don't need an amp.

Volume control is a basic concept: you start at zero, then gradually increase to your desired level.

I would recommend the following as well:

• speaker stands (like the Samson MS200)
  • passive preamp (like the Schiit SYS)
  • DAC (like the Behringer UCA202)

You'd also need cables. The JBL monitors already include power cables, but since you're in Scotland you may need to replace them or get adapters, or longer ones if need be. Some examples of cables you would use are USB A to B, RCA to RCA, 3.5 mm to dual RCA, RCA to XLR...and there are many others. Monoprice is a good company to go with since they have quality cables for next to nothing.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 23
2.jpg
+1 on the LSR 305. Amazing speakers and one of the most popular options at that price point. The waveguide on the tweeter works pretty well for spreading good sound in a wider area but these are studio monitors at heart so they will always sound their best when you're properly positioned between them. As mentioned, they have amps built in and no Bluetooth. And plus, they're sexy af!

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 23
One set I have been suggested is the Edifier 2000DB which are gonna cost around £200.
I am told that if I buy these I don't need anything else I'm ready to just plug in and go.

But then I had a look around on here and seen that the JOB LSR305 were well received by you all. I can get a pair of these for £200 also.

The LSR305 are symmetrical active monitors with an amp on each cabinet, each with its own gain control. The S2000DB are asymmetrical designs with the amp and other electronics on the "Master" speaker that comes with a "Slave" speaker unit (that does not work with any amp other than the Master's, which includes the crossover circuit for these), as well as the volume control for both speakers.

The problem is I don't know if I need an amp etc for JBL.

They have an amplifier built in. What you need is a preamplifier control. No need for an active preamp circuit - something like a Schiit Sys passive unit will work as long as you have a source that can output a clean 2v line signal.

Otherwise, just use the S2000DB. I think it even has Bluetooth.

Also people have told me that the Edifier speakers mentioned have higher power capabilities I'm not even sure what this means?

Compare the specs. AFAIK the JBL still has way more power.

I am looking for speakers for my bedroom/livingroom which I can hook up to both my or phone (rooms are roughly the same size 10x10x8 ft).

Can't get any more convenient than an asymmetrical powered speaker that already has BT built in and a single volume control for both speakers.

I'm not sure if the JBL speakers have this function but I have found something on Amazon would this allow them to?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-..._ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=electronics&tag=av0c-21

No way to know if these BT receivers output 2 volts. There was at least one other thread before about BT adapters not getting loud enough, so it's practically a gamble.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 23
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the JBL speakers. I am not sure which cables I should get though to connect up to my PC. I'm gonna have a look around and see if I can find any info. I always read that speakers are paired with a DAC. Is this kind of like a sound card? Do any of these comes with bluetooth that I could run the speakers through and into the PC? I have linked my MOBO below if it will help you help me find the cables I might need. I seen that this cable was recommended elsewhere, "HosaTech CMP-159 10ft 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable".

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-G45-GAMING/Specification (near the bottom it shows the connections of my MOBO)

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 23
Check my first post for what I recommend. If you were to purchase the listed equipment, you would connect everything as thus:

PC > UCA202 (it has a permanent USB cable so you don't need to buy one) > RCA cables > SYS > RCA to XLR (or 1/4") cables > LSR305s

Here are examples of cables you could use. (I use these.)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2869
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777

If you're using a PC as your source, what would you want Bluetooth for?

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 23
For simplicity, you just need a 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable from mobo to your speakers. Control your volume using windows.

mog-pp352ts.jpg

You don't have to have a DAC and preamp though since the on-board mobo sound will do just fine.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 23
Also don't bother with XLR unless you want to run a cable longer than, say, 20 feet. For speakers, XLR doesn't improve sound d quality but it does push the analog audio a lot further through long runs of cable which will give you a clean signal over a long distance

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 23
Hi. So I'm planning on getting some speakers. I am a noob in this field.

So far I have been suggested two different options.
The problem is I don't know if I need an amp etc for JBL. Also people have told me that the Edifier speakers mentioned have higher power capabilities I'm not even sure what this means?
I am looking for speakers for my bedroom/livingroom which I can hook up to both my or phone (rooms are roughly the same size 10x10x8 ft). Bluetooth is a feature I'm interested in. I'm not sure if the JBL speakers have this function but I have found something on Amazon would this allow them to?
Anything else I need to know about using these speakers would be great. Like I said I'm totally new to all this. I seen someone mention to be careful with volume on JBL speakers through pc too?
Thanks for any help.
I doubt that Blue-Tooth receiver (which only cost 20 GBP) comes with a very good DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip.
I'm not the expert on studio monitor, but I would go with JBL.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 23
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the JBL speakers. I am not sure which cables I should get though to connect up to my PC. I'm gonna have a look around and see if I can find any info. I always read that speakers are paired with a DAC. Is this kind of like a sound card? Do any of these comes with bluetooth that I could run the speakers through and into the PC? I have linked my MOBO below if it will help you help me find the cables I might need. I seen that this cable was recommended elsewhere, "HosaTech CMP-159 10ft 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable".

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-G45-GAMING/Specification (near the bottom it shows the connections of my MOBO)
The MSI motherboard uses a Realtek ALC1150 audio processor, which is "OK" for on-board audio, but maybe plan on getting something with a better DAC function.
Check out the DACs at Hifimediy ($42-$70 range)
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

And that HosaTech cable is the same one I use (but only 3') to connect to my studio monitors.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 23
I am in same boat with author right now. Edifier vs lsr305... And i think i will take second. Should I buy foam pad or speaker spikes? Week ago i sold my presonus eris e8 - too muddy lows and narrow soundstage. Used them front of me on my table.

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 23
Definitely grab some isolation pads or stands to help get the sound up and out if theyre sitting on your table

I have the isopads that arent too expensive

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 23
I am in same boat with author right now. Edifier vs lsr305... And i think i will take second. Should I buy foam pad or speaker spikes? Week ago i sold my presonus eris e8 - too muddy lows and narrow soundstage. Used them front of me on my table.
Definitely LSR 305. And Amazon has plenty of isolation pads which are cheap and worth it. Just make sure, as with any studio monitor or near-field speaker, that they're positioned correctly for best sound. Tweeter at ear level, both speakers pointed at your head or at a point 1 foot behind your head, and your head and each speaker should be the same exact distance away from each other. Speakers are 3 feet apart, your head should be 3 feet away from each speaker, making an equilateral triangle. When I first picked up the 305 and was first getting into speakers and home theater, I was so surprised how much better they sound when you position them correctly compared to incorrectly. It makes a ton of difference.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 23
Went with JBL LSR305. Got them quick. They are set up now. Buzzing off them all day they sound so clean. Not tried the bluetooth but apparently it does the job, Not very high fidelity but for wireless sound its fine from reviews I've seen. I'll comment back later once I have tried it.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 23
Went with JBL LSR305. Got them quick. They are set up now. Buzzing off them all day they sound so clean. Not tried the bluetooth but apparently it does the job, Not very high fidelity but for wireless sound its fine from reviews I've seen. I'll comment back later once I have tried it.
Glad you like them! They're so good and the treble and bass adjustment switches are a good feature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back