Noob Audio Technica Ath-A900X review
Feb 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #17 of 47
I got the A900x today. I can only compare to the A700 I own, but these have a better fit imho. Still very comfortable, but not wanting to slide off every time I move my head. More bass than the A700, too. I'm really enjoying these and I'm only 4 hours in!

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 47
hi just wanted to ask any updates on these cans ?

I wanted to find out if these are comfortable and good for long hours use?

I have been very happy with my A900s for Id guess 10 years,  but I find the ear pads need replacing every 2-3 years.  My original pads lasted but 4-5 years and I just spent £60 on original replacement pads and they lasted but 2-3 years.

Idealy these look excellent,  there the same as a900s and improved,  but fixed with leather type solid/durable pads!

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #19 of 47
I have the similar ATH-A700X, and they are very comfortable to me. I wear them for 8+ hours with no problems.

Also, as you mentioned, different from the "garbage bag" type pads of the older Art series, the new series has the solid padding.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 47
Like I mentioned on the review I did (signature), I HATED THE A900X pads!!!
They are one of the worse (compared to other similarly priced cans!) I have tried!
They are just too STIFF for my taste and even though the headphone FEELS comfortable, the pads
ruined them for me... You could try getting the Audio Technica W1000X pads which are
REAL leather (and not the pleather used on the A900X) but they cost upwards to $80...

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 47
I've heard these before and yeah, they're worth the money.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 47

Quote:
Like I mentioned on the review I did (signature), I HATED THE A900X pads!!!
They are one of the worse (compared to other similarly priced cans!) I have tried!
They are just too STIFF for my taste and even though the headphone FEELS comfortable, the pads
ruined them for me... You could try getting the Audio Technica W1000X pads which are
REAL leather (and not the pleather used on the A900X) but they cost upwards to $80...

ouch had a feeling about those new pads thx for the update

Issue is these cans are not cheap and they seem to have skipped the quality on the pads the 1st pads on the A900s were weak,  comfy but too thin and light and easy to break.

And at £60 replacement pads (almost half of what I paid for the entire headphones) that makes it very expensive considering they look like they should cost no more then £20 even.

I was kinda hoping these new A900Xs would be fixed,  do you think if you wore them alot more and broke them in properly then it would be better ?

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #23 of 47
I'm not really sure about that... I would really say... NO! :wink:
Just in case, take a look at this other thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587478/any-recent-reviews-of-the-audio-technica-a900x/15#post_8256978

and stay tuned to the review by MalVeauX to see what else he has to say regarding fit
and IF the pads became a bit softer but my initial answer would be, NO... I don't think there
will be a BIG change to comfortability regarding earpads... (unless you spend MORE and buy the leather ones...)

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #24 of 47
I'm definitely in the minority here, but I've had the A900Xs for 2 months now and have never had issues with the pads.

I would agree with others when it comes to the value of these HPs - they are worth the cash. The soundstage, instrument separation, and detail exceeded what I was hoping for from a closed 'can. My Shure's have received ZERO play time since these came in :)

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 47
Oh yea. Detail on the A900X is unreal..The best for Jazz/ instruments I have..I am also used to the pads. My pads on my pair have softened up a bit with just use... I think if you guys have a medium sized head which I hope most of us have these will be fine. It is the small heads which the feel of the big cans might feel as if they are going to fall off or big heads will certainly feel the stiffer pads of them vs other sized heads even more so.

On a side note. For the guys that don't know and are ok with earphones..Audio Technica makes a CKM77 which believe it or not sounds exactly like these A900X. It is crazy that this sound can be had in an earphone. I never thought that was possible.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #26 of 47

Quote:
I'm not really sure about that... I would really say... NO! :wink:
Just in case, take a look at this other thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587478/any-recent-reviews-of-the-audio-technica-a900x/15#post_8256978

and stay tuned to the review by MalVeauX to see what else he has to say regarding fit
and IF the pads became a bit softer but my initial answer would be, NO... I don't think there
will be a BIG change to comfortability regarding earpads... (unless you spend MORE and buy the leather ones...)

thx for info.... I think considering my A900s are still good and comfy and fit well ill keep them for now,  the ear pads are still ok I may search around for cheaper replacement pads.

From the sound of things the A900s and A900X you wouldnt notice any difference,  I guess since mine are a life time burned in the sounds must be smooth as butter as well :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #28 of 47
I have the ATH-A700 and would also like to know about replacement pads. From a google search, I hear that the velour/fabric pads from the ATH-AD500 (up to ATH-AD900 line) will fit. These would presumably last longer and be more comfortable than the stock pleather pads on the ATH-A500 (up to ATH-A900).

Audiocubes has some AD500/700/900 velour pads, but $40 bucks for pads seems a bit steep for headphones I paid ~$85 for.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #29 of 47
Currently I don't know of any ATH-A series replacement pads cheaper than the $40 velour pads. Either you're gonna pay more for better pads or end up buying the crap stock pads.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #30 of 47
$40? Where is that coming from? Try contacting Audio Technica directly. Other people reported that they got ADxxx pads for less than $10, and I even got some for free. I also used to use them on the A700. You have to phat pad them for it to work though, both sound and comfort wise. IME, if you put them on unpadded, your ears may touch the drivers, and the sound loses bass and becomes really thin and plasticy sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back