Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #5,776 of 6,432
Quote:
So, in an interesting twist, the guy who I mentioned yesterday who recently bought a Monster DNA tried to lecture me on the history of Monster Cable's headphones (completely unknowing of the Turbine line), as if I didn't know anything about that already. Then, to get him to go away, I mentioned the other product lines that Monster offers (Diamond Tears, VEKTR, etc) besides his DNA. At that point, I just wanted to get back to my desktop setup.

About half an hour later he tried again to discuss headphones with me as equals, and I played along despite the fact that he's not exactly an expert on the subject. I kind of felt bad for him, so I tried as hard as I could to converse. When he asked to listen to my headphones (at that point the T5p), I saw opportunity. As soon as he heard the climax of the introduction to Money For Nothing,  he was completely hooked. I didn't get my desk back until work ended.

biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #5,777 of 6,432
So, in an interesting twist, the guy who I mentioned yesterday who recently bought a Monster DNA tried to lecture me on the history of Monster Cable's headphones (completely unknowing of the Turbine line), as if I didn't know anything about that already. Then, to get him to go away, I mentioned the other product lines that Monster offers (Diamond Tears, VEKTR, etc) besides his DNA. At that point, I just wanted to get back to my desktop setup.

About half an hour later he tried again to discuss headphones with me as equals, and I played along despite the fact that he's not exactly an expert on the subject. I kind of felt bad for him, so I tried as hard as I could to converse. When he asked to listen to my headphones (at that point the T5p), I saw opportunity. As soon as he heard the climax of the introduction to Money For Nothing,  he was completely hooked. I didn't get my desk back until work ended.

So he brought the monster back to the shop and bought something different?

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #5,779 of 6,432
One of the worst things a photographer hears is, "That's a great picture.  You must have a good camera."

I have not read the entire 386 pages but I wonder how Headfiers feel if the compliment goes to something else than the headphone.  Or the entire gear.
"Wow, great sound!  Ipods really make the best out of music!"
"Oooh, that sounds awesome!  Which app are you using?"
"Nice!  Really nice!  I never knew Pink Floyd's music is so intricate."

Just a few examples of "what ifs".

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #5,780 of 6,432
Quote:

If I was king of this Can-dome I would Knight thee Monster Slayer and top adviser to the royal headphone throne. OK, I think I used up all of my minute nerd power on that one
cool.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #5,781 of 6,432
Quote:
One of the worst things a photographer hears is, "That's a great picture.  You must have a good camera."

I have not read the entire 386 pages but I wonder how Headfiers feel if the compliment goes to something else than the headphone.  Or the entire gear.

I used to do freelance 3D modelling and animation as well as digital 2D paintings. I got the irritating comment of "That's a cool image, you must have a really good computer." quite often. Infuriating.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #5,782 of 6,432
Quote:

Now that you mention this, my iPhone does take pretty good photos. But, as an artist who has actually made music and let people listen to it on my iphone with my grados, I do get pretty mad when they say how nice the headphones sound.
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #5,783 of 6,432
My girlfriend and I were staying at a hotel a few months ago and she forgot her headphones for the gym so I gave her my new (at the time) set of Bowers & Wilkins c5s to use, forgetting that she normally uses ipod headphones.  She came back from the gym with a smile on her face and said "you're not getting these back."  For some reason she still gives me **** for spending money on audio gear.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #5,784 of 6,432
Quote:
So he brought the monster back to the shop and bought something different?

That's a work-in-progress. I think he's keeping them because he bought them with Christmas money and would feel bad going back on his purchase when he seemed so excited at first, but he's got the bug now and said he's open to suggestions on his next purchase.

It may take a bit until I'm willing to convince him to allocate the funds himself (he's very impulsive with gift money, but is a miser with his own), but I see a pair of MDs in his future, at the very least.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5,785 of 6,432
Quote:
That's a work-in-progress. I think he's keeping them because he bought them with Christmas money and would feel bad going back on his purchase when he seemed so excited at first, but he's got the bug now and said he's open to suggestions on his next purchase.

It may take a bit until I'm willing to convince him to allocate the funds himself (he's very impulsive with gift money, but is a miser with his own), but I see a pair of MDs in his future, at the very least.

MDs as in Mad Dogs? Great job! 

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #5,786 of 6,432
Quote:
suggested many good brands of headphones to a classmate and he went and bought souls.....

At least he didn't buy beats.  Souls are way better than beats, and they dont cost too much.  They actually are not too bad for the price. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #5,788 of 6,432
Quote:
a kid on my bus tried my v-moda m80, put them on, looks shocked and takes them off, puts them back on and off almost like hes scared and was like "WHOA it sounds like im in like a car!!"

Why is it good audio = car for a lot of people??

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5,790 of 6,432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back