Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Nov 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5,206 of 6,432
I'd say that recently I've also come about much more acceptance of the hobby than even a year ago. The reactions have moved from incredulous to honest interest in many cases.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #5,207 of 6,432
Quote:
if a guy who wants to steal is on a train, sees 2 headphones . Audeze LCD-3s or Beats Executives. you know that the  guy is going to steal the beats.

Haha. unfortunately this is true. A few semesters ago i walked in proudly to class wearing my new dt 1350's for the first time. And another student was wearing the low end mobile version of the beats whatever they are called. We sat right next to each other and the professor walked up to the guy and started asking him all these questions about how the guy must be a d.j. or love how high quality they sounded. I tried to join in a bit in talking about headphones (nicely of course, I have had the original studio beats given to me as a gift a few years ago after all) and they just stared at me for a second and then proceeded to ignore me. : (

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #5,209 of 6,432
I let a friend listen to my ID1 (beats owner) and he said: "wow, it sounds like the sound is just swimming around the room, and it sounds so good"
Another friend to my SR80i (beats owner) "why did i buy beats?"

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #5,214 of 6,432
Had a friend from out of town over a few nights back, introduced him to some of my stuff (he came with a bashed up pair of $20 headphones that he said he had enjoyed listening to on the flight up). I played him some tracks he knew really, really well like Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd and some Muse stuff like Knights of Cydonia from my GS1000i, and then some vocal jazz and pop stuff through my LCD-2.

He's a real music fan, but I knew he'd never listened through gear like this, so expected a big reaction. Needless to say I was not disappointed. On each track he was like "this is the best I've ever heard this song", and he kept spontaneously laughing in delight as numerous details he'd never heard leapt out at him (the Floyd track is great for that, so much noise like Dave Gilmour clearing his throat and taking some deep breaths before the intro guitar solo).

A very enjoyable evening spent sharing some nice gear with a friend who appreciated it... even if I did ruin his own headphones for him on his return flight the next morning!

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #5,215 of 6,432
Quote:
tldr: from what skimmed ,should of said this  - idiot friend likes beats shows him mediocre amp and entry level headphone , friend doesnt like it. then shows mom entry level headphone she likes it...

but honestly I was your age once, expand your horizons from shure and sennheiser, thats all i knew when I was your age. then I learned that their was like a million different other headphone companies that sound had headphones that sounded 10x better. There's not much audiophile awareness out there, thats good that you're showing people decent sound quality.
          When people hear how much I spend on headphones in the past 3 months, they honestly think that I'm wasting my money, but i'm happy with my purchase, I make enough money to live comfortable in  the audiophile world.

I can't help but being a little offended, I am aware of other headphones, I appreciate brands such as Beyerdynamic, Denon, Audio Technica, and B&W but at the same time, I am 15, and can only spend roughly 100 dollars on headphones at a time, so I buy brands like Sennheiser, simply because they are the best bang for my buck, in my opinion. I also didn't realize we had to make the posts short, I just wanted to accurately portray the situation, but frankly if you didn't want to read it, you didn't have to, haha.

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5,216 of 6,432
Quote:
Whenever I wear mu Ultrasone HFI-580's 99% of the reactions are some snarky comment pertaining to Beats. Haven't really gotten any funny reactions yet. Usually people just asking what they are or if they can try them.

One of my colleagues at work asked me what are those, Beats? (pointing at my HFI-780s) i was like nooo, try them. he tried them and then proceeded to tell me i wasted my money because they don't look as cool as beats and they sound just the same!! 
confused.gif

its safe to say im not letting him near my headphones again lol

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #5,217 of 6,432
Quote:
 One of my colleagues at work asked me what are those, Beats? (pointing at my HFI-780s) i was like nooo, try them. he tried them and then proceeded to tell me i wasted my money because they don't look as cool as beats and they sound just the same!! 
confused.gif

its safe to say im not letting him near my headphones again lol

Did they really say that? I find that hard to believe. I've heard the Beats range before and I'm not impressed by them as much as other headphones around the price range. How could you waste money if the Ultrasone cost, on average, less than the Beats do?

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #5,219 of 6,432
Quote:

Did they really say that? I find that hard to believe. I've heard the Beats range before and I'm not impressed by them as much as other headphones around the price range. How could you waste money if the Ultrasone cost, on average, less than the Beats do?

Yeah he did.Even after i told him they cost a lot less than beats do.  And now im starting to think hes the type of person that would rather buy fake beats than original sennheisers lol!!
I agree, there is actually nothing wrong with beats its just that they belong in the £40 - £50 price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back