Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #5,101 of 6,432
Quote:
I implore you all to check your hearing. Calling the M50 not good? It's one thing to not like them due to popularity, etc, but to just outright ignore the fact that they are very detailed? This IS Head-fi, right?

I'm actually getting RID of my Grados over the M50 because the M50 is more detailed.

well i feel that M50 has a terribly narrow soundstage

if i wanted detail i would probably get the SRH840/940

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5,102 of 6,432
I really don't like the M50 either. I thought it was really boring. Not my cup of tear, but still a solid performer in the price range. I'd take a DJPro100 over 'em anyday though.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #5,103 of 6,432
Quote:

That's the main issue with this hobby, it's all subjective. My reference is the JH13 so the M50 is very undetailed to me. It's good for its price though.

subjectivity exists, but the accuracy of a subjective account can be called into question. i personally would prefer the opinion of someone who actually has a tangible and relevant frame of reference.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #5,104 of 6,432
I don't want to bash the M50 because others find it very good, but the words implore you all to check your hearing (that includes tyll, purrin, pataburd and other respected head-fiers since the poster put the words "you all" in the sentances) to hear that the M50 is very detailed is kinda harsh

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5,105 of 6,432
Quote:
subjectivity exists, but the accuracy of a subjective account can be called into question. i personally would prefer the opinion of someone who actually has a tangible and relevant frame of reference.

like tyll? 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5,108 of 6,432
Quote:
i'm not actually sure who tyll is, i've seen his name floating around the forum a lot though.

he is an awesome guy who reviews headphones.
here let me introduce you to him with this lovely video
biggrin.gif
 (watch till the end!)

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #5,110 of 6,432
EDIT: Me being something of a grammar freak, I tidied up a few parts. That's what you get for making such a long post, I guess 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT2: Um, just to clarify and avoid offending anyone, I'm not ragging on zeinharis' comment because I quoted his post. I just wanted to do that "virtual high-five" thing and let it slide; the really, really, really, really long semi-sermon came as something of an afterthought. 

... And what an afterthought it was :))

Quote:
That's what i call "an audiophile reactions to non-high-end headphones"
tongue.gif

And, for being so clever, here's a virtual high-five!

... Jokes aside, I've noticed that a lot of people don't seem to like the M50s very much. Whether or not this stems from their being too popular over the past few (years?) months, and people hyping the heck out of them, I have no idea. In any case, they're not bad headphones per se, but neither are they the excellent headphones a lot of people make them out to be.

This could just be my personal preference for warm cans speaking, but I much prefer my K242s over the M50s (though I'll admit that the M50s beat my cans hollow in terms of portability); again, this is just me voicing my opinion, and I've yet to listen to the M50s for more than ten minutes at a time (I auditioned them at this one store nearby before going for my current cans), yet I find that they really are somewhat lacking in detail, at least when compared to some cans within the same price range. Also, they don't sound all that exciting, but neither are they clinical in nature, giving them a bit of a middling response. It's maybe this latter observation that turns so many elitist head-fi'ers off them, as those who've spent a lot of time with cans of their own tend to mould or focus their tastes on a specific sound signature, much like how some prefer Grado's in-your-face presentation, or AKG's mid-centric one.

Anyway, I think I went on a bit of a tangent. 

*ahem*
I'll be the first to admit that the M50s aren't the best  headphones around, even at the price point, but they're also good performers that have turned a lot of people towards head-fidom, as well as audiophilia in general. How many people (admittedly under or slightly over the age of 20) here on Head-Fi admit to having fallen in love with the hobby thanks to these cans? Just because the vast majority have come to find other cans that suit their preferences more doesn't mean that they have the right to speak badly of the A-Ts. Actually, it doesn't have to only be about the M50s; whenever a person in my class starts plugging Skullcandy, Bose, or (... *shudder*) Beats, I merely state that there are a lot of better cans out there from manufacturers that a lot of them have probably never even heard of. Sometimes, I even let them try out my AKGs, on the rare occasion that I bring them out of the house (though more often than not, I have to make do with my Philips SHE9800 IEMs, which is a bit gross). A lot of the time, those who deign to try my portable rig are able to "see" a difference, and concede my point. In the rare event that they don't see a difference or, yikes, even prefer their iBuds or Beats headphones, I just shrug and let it slide; I'm not here to sell brands anyway.

A lot of people label me as something of an elitist when it comes to audio, and even come to me for advice sometimes (though when I can't answer a question, I usually refer them here). They trust my opinion, basically. However, I always tell them that audio preference is something for people to discover for themselves, and that they should try out whatever suits their fancy, and simply stick to what they like.

If a person is satisfied with a pair of iBuds or non-audiophile-friendly headphones, then all the better for them; their wallets will be in much better shape than mine a few years from now, though I can't really say that I envy them that.

... Let me just get to the point before I go off on another tangent, yeah? Sorry, it's a bit of a bad habit of mine:

Whether or not a person thinks the world of a pair of cans is really none of your business. Feel free to point out that there are better ones or ones more suited to their usage or taste, but please do so in a polite and respectful manner. Even I'm a bit irritated by how people always refer newcomers to Head-Fi to buy the M50s, but I keep it to myself because, if they're okay with them, who am I to complain?

There's nothing to gain from picking a fight online. This is the internet, yes, but that does NOT excuse you from practicing common courtesy. 

Cheers, and sorry for the long post!

P.S.
Yeah, I might have overreacted, but I've come across this situation so many times here on Head-Fi that it's trying my nerves a bit. Sorry, again. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #5,111 of 6,432
One last thing:

Though this may just be me misinterpreting things, the reason behind my thinking up that little monologue was because I'd thought some tempers were about to flare with regard to the ATH-M50 thing. Again, I could have just been putting emotions behind other people's words (bloody hard to tell someone's tone from an online forum, yeah?), so sorry in advance for being a bit of a busybody; the above was my first post here on Head-Fi in months, so I might've subconsciously lengthened it for the sake of novelty 
redface.gif

To keep this thread on topic, though, here's something that happened to me a few months back:

I'd just bought my SHE9800s the previous week ago, and I brought them to my college for the first time. Since I'd been using my admittedly unportable AKGs 'til then, a lot of people were surprised to see me with a pair of weensy IEMs. A bunch of people asked if my old cans were broken or if they'd gotten stolen (on a side note, they're actually broken now, though I've no idea why 
frown.gif
), and I just said that they weren't really travel-friendly, so I decided on getting a pair of decent travel-oriented cans or IEMs. And yes, I had to explain what an IEM was, and how it was different from an earbud.

Anyway, I only let one person try them on that day; they were new then, so I didn't want to pass them around too much. His eyes suddenly bugged out and he was looking around as if he'd seen a ghost. When he figured out that the sound was coming from the IEMs, he started laughing and joked about keeping them for himself. He was listening to a radio talk show, I think, and the 9800s have a really good soundstage for *budget*IEMs, so his reaction was understandable.

Since then, a whole bunch of people have gotten to try them out. Reactions range from "Where the heck is the music COMING FROM? Are you sure you don't have speakers on?" (This person then took out one of the monitors and was looking around the room as if expecting to see a pair of speakers (maybe even a bass guitar? haha) nearby. The others just comment on the good bass. Well, what else could I have expected? 

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #5,112 of 6,432
I did some digging on the specs of Beats to find their frequency response ranges simply to see how low the Beats actually reproduce. Is it wron to say I wasn't shocked when I saw they were a standard 20-20k?

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #5,115 of 6,432
Quote:
I really don't like the M50 either. I thought it was really boring. Not my cup of tear, but still a solid performer in the price range. I'd take a DJPro100 over
'em anyday though.

ProDJ00 is one of the worst headphones I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. I would take Senn HD280 or Audio Technica T400/AD500 or Superlux, or any Samson oem product over it any day of the week. In fact I did, until I got my hands on a second-hand M50.

I don't think I'm on Head-Fi anymore.

I got my M50 for $60, $21 less than I spent on my Grados.

If Grados are universally herald as the entry in to audiophillia, and M50 is the obvious step up, why are people saying they aren't good? Nobody is saying they are the end-all. In fact, I regularly demo flagship systems, and they are very obviously only a marginal upgrade to what I currently own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back