Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #5,131 of 6,432
Sitting in the school library and was listening to my gr07's connected to my uha-6s mkii and this guy comes by and sits next to me and sees the amp and screams What IS THAT. He asks to hear it and I play him some steely dan and he remarks, "OH! These sound just like those beats earphones!" 

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #5,132 of 6,432
Quote:
Removed.
I showed my hd800 portable rig setup to a friend at school and he said he didn't hear any difference between the hd800 and his beats.

even Jesus facepalms to such a comparison

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #5,133 of 6,432
Quote:
The hd280 trumps the dj100 in every category.
The Ath t400 which is less expensive than both the dj100 and the hd280 in every category, both sonically, and in terms of comfort.
Used to low end? I regularly demo top tier equipment. Get the **** out with that bs.
Can someone show me quantitative proof that the m50 isn't any good?

I don't think people are saying that the M50s aren't any good - for me at least, I feel they are over-hyped, and are sometimes touted as a good headphone for most people. But that's a discussion that belongs to the M50 thread.

We should all just chill. There's no need to defend a headphone with so much passion and vehemence. After all, we're here to discuss our enjoyment of listening to our favorite songs on a HP/IEM. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #5,135 of 6,432
I heard pretty significant differences. Mainly in bass control, but NBD.

I think the M50s are good, they're just not my choice in the price range. They're built well, look good, sound decent, and are easy to power. The only thing I'd do as far as using them as a portable can (which is what they'd be for me) is get the S version and cut the cable to a non ridiculous length.

Quote:
DJ100 sounds hardly any different amped. I listened to it through serveral different amps.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5,136 of 6,432
My friend had only tried beats, ibuds, and the generic cheapo buds.

I let her try my SR60s and she couldn't really hear a difference. I was pretty cheesed until i found out she couldn't hear from her right side....which probably explained why she always made me sit at the left side of her. =(

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5,137 of 6,432
Quote:
I was dying inside >.> He then proceeded to take the hd800 and plug them directly into his ipod nano and listen to 128kbps mp3 tracks.

i feel your pain bro....
(was told that solo souded better than HD800 as well from a unamped nokia +128mp3)

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #5,138 of 6,432
If people want bass, then that's all they will look for. Doesn't matter if the HD800 was powered with the best set-up around. The Solos will sound better to them if all they want is a farty bass cannon.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5,140 of 6,432
Quote:
If people want bass, then that's all they will look for. Doesn't matter if the HD800 was powered with the best set-up around. The Solos will sound better to them if all they want is a farty bass cannon.

Well, on a serious note, I really, really love bass, but I can clearly tell the difference between say, an HD600 and a bass monster like the XB500. I'm sure the difference between the HD800 and Beats Solo would be an analogous comparison.

Even if I wanted just bass, I could still differentiate between the 2; I'm wondering how anybody could say something sounds "better" based on the bass presentation alone. Are these people really that one-dimensional? I'm just wondering..

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #5,141 of 6,432
Quote:

Well, on a serious note, I really, really love bass, but I can clearly tell the difference between say, an HD600 and a bass monster like the XB500. I'm sure the difference between the HD800 and Beats Solo would be an analogous comparison.

Even if I wanted just bass, I could still differentiate between the 2; I'm wondering how anybody could say something sounds "better" based on the bass presentation alone. Are these people really that one-dimensional? I'm just wondering..

yes they are, to some more isolation = better. and to some others more bass = better. and to some looks better = better.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,142 of 6,432
Quote:

I believe it might be related to how audio hasn't been favored on mass media for a very long time, while image quality has been boosted forward, from the advent of DVD Video to Bluray, and all forms of HD. A few years back headphones have surfaced a bit more, but have been shown more as fashion accessories rather than devices that allow actual listening. While it's well known Monster played their part quite a bit, there are more and more headphones that are both fashionable and with an adequate price/performance ratio, which along with the fact that users are slowly becoming more informed, despite how commercial music sometimes seems to fight against such, does paint a better picture for a not so distant future.

Some tidbits, some wishful thinking, hopefully there's a change to come in the right direction.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #5,143 of 6,432
Quote:

Definitely. Had a friend come over and play around with my gear. Even with the MS-Pro and the like he still found the XB500 to be his favourite.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #5,144 of 6,432
I brought my Audio-Technica M50's and Fiio E6 to my university one day. On the way to lunch with my two friends, I showed them the combo. One of them was completely un-phased by it, saying 'Yea it sounds nice.' The other friend said his white apple earbuds sound better, and that he was appalled and disgusted at the fact that I'd spend anything over $30 for a headphone. I told him he was either lying, or he was too ignorant and caught up in his views that he blocked out the difference. What do you guys think? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back