Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Aug 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #4,741 of 6,432
Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #4,742 of 6,432
Quote:

I laugh everytime I read this lol

I actually got a taste of open-air headphones from a friend at college.  He had HD555's and he also knows about this site.  He said he liked mine more because of the bass, but the HD555's by far are the clearest headphones I have ever heard in my life.  I wish I could get that clarity with bass :frowning2:

That's what my D5000s are for 
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #4,746 of 6,432
Quote:
Pretty much. In theory a completely neutral sound would be a flat line. Though a flat line in headphones would be absolutely horrible because your ears would end up bleeding. I think Headroom has a description somewhere of what 'in theory' would be a truly neutral curve.

Neg. In speakers only it is flatline. In in-ears, due to the lack of bass impact from smaller drivers, 'neutral' is really ~+4dB in the bass to 100 Hz decreasing to +0dB at 500Hz then flatline.
In headphones, it is very similar to the averaged frequency response of the beyerdynamic T1 + that added bass boost like with in-ears to compensate for lack of bass impact vs. speakers.
Due to the influence of the pinna, this is why there is a steady rise in the bass down to the mids and the 'spike' at around 9.5kHz in headphone frequency responses.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,747 of 6,432
I find the best way to introduce people into even relatively high end equipment, is to use a gateway head/earphone.
my choice for this is the SOUNDMagic PL30, or E10.. or pretty much any good budget headphone or earphone. but i have some PL30 handy anyways, so it seems pretty worth it.
I'm fairly well known(amongst friends) for knowing more about headphones/audio gear in general than most people.
knowing that no one really ever jumps from crappy ibuds ---> (name a flagship)
using some good enough for their price SOUNDMagics really changes someones opinion after extended listening periods. 
eventually. "... do you know of any good headphones/earphones for... say £100-£200?" 
4 good friends have been converted like this, one of them a former beats enthusiast, who is now the proud owner of some M50's.

In all, you cant tell someone what sounds good. that a journey someone has to make on their own. which they always will given time.
they just need a little shove in the right direction.

a challenge you to get someone to upgrade from ibuds > ps500 ( or similar)  within 6 months :wink:

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #4,748 of 6,432
Quote:
I find the best way to introduce people into even relatively high end equipment, is to use a gateway head/earphone.
my choice for this is the SOUNDMagic PL30, or E10.. or pretty much any good budget headphone or earphone. but i have some PL30 handy anyways, so it seems pretty worth it.
I'm fairly well known(amongst friends) for knowing more about headphones/audio gear in general than most people.
using some good enough for their price SOUNDMagics really changes someones opinion after extended listening periods. 
eventually. "... do you know of any good headphones/earphones for... say £100-£200?" 
4 good friends have been converted like this, one of them a former beats enthusiast, who is now the proud owner of some M50's.

In all, you cant tell someone what sounds good. that a journey someone has to make on their own. which they always will given time.

a challenge you to get someone to upgrade from ibuds > ps500 ( or similar)  within 6 months :wink:

I think Grado "Prestige" series headphones are a great way to indulge someone into experiencing something new. plus it aids in the reputation of Grado. as They rely on Fan-based advertisement instead of the false/ mass advertising that.. *cough, Monster* does..

hmm. i cant wait to get my Grado's. i wanna know how Sweet the Grado Pill tastes

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #4,749 of 6,432
Quote:

someone i know went from a solo to a HD800 
biggrin.gif

but unfortunately he did not upgrade his music.... :/ he's still using 128kbps mp3 from itunes...

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #4,751 of 6,432
Quote:

That was... that just...

... You have no idea how painful that was to hear. Lend him a CD and let him use a decent system. For his own sake. Please.

yeah... well got a Beyerdynamic A1 amp,(i suspect, he didn't know the model) and this was the senario: (also please excuse the crude language this is actually how it sounded like)

*contacts me tru fb chat* 
him: Oiiii Solo or HD800??
me: whattaheckwhyareyoucomparingthese2??
him: cause my solo left side softer so i want to replace, dad say get either solo or hd800, owh solo better right? the Sennheiser looks like rubbish
me: *facelaptop* please please please get the HD800 -_-" solo is shet, you know that the hd800 is among the world's best headphones...?
him: are you sure?? the hd800 is rather expensive by the way
me: yes and your beats are exoensive for no reason because they are shetty
him: really ah?? did sennheiser pay you money to advertise for them and the reviewers??
me: goddamiit just get the damn hd800
him: *talks to dad*: pa he said the solos are shet, get the hd800 *dad goes to senneiser.com to place an order
him again: hey you better not be shetting me again ah, they better sound good
me: yes-yes-yes they sound dam good they are not beats forgodsgake -_-"
*1 week later the pair came*
him: yay i got them! :D they sound pretty good- 
me: good that you like it, you need an amp though to run these properly
*1 more week*
him: hey i got an amp that is RM6000, they sound ok ah
me: what amp did you get?
him: i dunnu
me: what....? -_-"
*1 more week*
him: hey i got a Beyerfynamic amp that cost RM5000!
me: what i thought you got an amp already?? o.o
him: yeah, it was a guitar amp
me: ............... OI WHATTHEHECKYOUDUMMY
*2 more weeks and i met him in real life on outing*
him: hey.... i think the beats sound better lol
me: *takes off glases* ......go die lah you.
gf: hey lol relax, no point getting mad at him
me: lol but... *turns back to him* hey gimmie your phone.*snatches and goes to music player* ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? 128-192
.      KBPS?? *lets him listen to my hd558 on my 320 files in a noisy moving train*
him: wow these sound good- o.o but the hd800 build quality like not good ah, cannot fold, no mic-
me:........
*present day*
him: my hd800 got problem sent back to germany....
me: LOL why
him: hmm the driver left side vibrating when i play metal at max volume
me: lol

hmm sorry for the long post and very real to life language usage it just shows the rage and dissapoinment i had.....
cheers
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4,753 of 6,432
Quote:
Hahahaha, it's the exact same with my family. No idea why

yeah probably they do not value them nearly as much as we do

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4,754 of 6,432
Quote:
yeah... well got a Beyerdynamic A1 amp,(i suspect, he didn't know the model) and this was the senario: (also please excuse the crude language this is actually how it sounded like)

*contacts me tru fb chat* 
him: Oiiii Solo or HD800??
me: whattaheckwhyareyoucomparingthese2??
him: cause my solo left side softer so i want to replace, dad say get either solo or hd800, owh solo better right? the Sennheiser looks like rubbish
me: *facelaptop* please please please get the HD800 -_-" solo is shet, you know that the hd800 is among the world's best headphones...?
him: are you sure?? the hd800 is rather expensive by the way
me: yes and your beats are exoensive for no reason because they are shetty
him: really ah?? did sennheiser pay you money to advertise for them and the reviewers??
me: goddamiit just get the damn hd800
him: *talks to dad*: pa he said the solos are shet, get the hd800 *dad goes to senneiser.com to place an order
him again: hey you better not be shetting me again ah, they better sound good
me: yes-yes-yes they sound dam good they are not beats forgodsgake -_-"
*1 week later the pair came*
him: yay i got them! :D they sound pretty good- 
me: good that you like it, you need an amp though to run these properly
*1 more week*
him: hey i got an amp that is RM6000, they sound ok ah
me: what amp did you get?
him: i dunnu
me: what....? -_-"
*1 more week*
him: hey i got a Beyerfynamic amp that cost RM5000!
me: what i thought you got an amp already?? o.o
him: yeah, it was a guitar amp
me: ............... OI WHATTHEHECKYOUDUMMY
*2 more weeks and i met him in real life on outing*
him: hey.... i think the beats sound better lol
me: *takes off glases* ......go die lah you.
gf: hey lol relax, no point getting mad at him
me: lol but... *turns back to him* hey gimmie your phone.*snatches and goes to music player* ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? 128-192
.      KBPS?? *lets him listen to my hd558 on my 320 files in a noisy moving train*
him: wow these sound good- o.o but the hd800 build quality like not good ah, cannot fold, no mic-
me:........
*present day*
him: my hd800 got problem sent back to germany....
me: LOL why
him: hmm the driver left side vibrating when i play metal at max volume
me: lol

hmm sorry for the long post and very real to life language usage it just shows the rage and dissapoinment i had.....
cheers
biggrin.gif

This just goes to show that hi-fi isn't for everyone. Well, either that or a person really ought to get that good (or in your friend's case, excellent) headphones aren't the only thing one ought to be concerned with when pursuing better audio. Honestly, I get why people use 128kBps (sometimes lower) bitrates; the file size is a LOT smaller, and their normal gear isn't good enough to really be able to differentiate low-bitrate lossy from lossless. 

Though a more likely, and also more depressing, explanation would be that not everyone cares about "better sounding" music. A lot of the people I know judge music by how loud it is, adding fire to the whole dynamic range compression debate, and how much bass there is. Also, most of the people in my college are partially deaf from exposing themselves to loud noises.

Case in point:

I let my friend try out my IEM + DAP combo (Philips SHE9800 and a Voodoo Sound-modded i9000 Galaxy S), since he wanted to hear this a capella metal group I've been talking about. It's van Canto, for the curious.

Anyway, since always I rip to 320kBps for portable use (FLAC for home listening), I let him listen to Pathfinder and Wishmaster playing out of my phone. I turned it to slightly above my usual listening level, since I knew that he was really into loud music (-24dB instead of -28dB). What surprised me was that he asked if he could turn it up even higher. I showed him how to, and he cranked it all the way up to -4dB. I could actually hear the music playing from two feet away, and he was using a IEMs with a diaphragm of only 14mm. Sure, they're relatively bad at isolating sound, but that was still a bit excessive.

Even scarier was the fact that he seemed totally unfazed by blasting his eardrums with that much noise. I started worrying for my IEMs' life when he thankfully took them off after a few seconds of listening. My IEMs are still okay, in case you're wondering.

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4,755 of 6,432
Quote:

I laugh everytime I read this lol

I actually got a taste of open-air headphones from a friend at college.  He had HD555's and he also knows about this site.  He said he liked mine more because of the bass, but the HD555's by far are the clearest headphones I have ever heard in my life.  I wish I could get that clarity with bass :frowning2:

Or you could get the HD555 and do the foam mod...helps a bit with the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back