Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #4,501 of 6,432
Beats are seriously overrated.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4,502 of 6,432
You're not special. :wink: Plenty of 'real' Dubstep fans on the boards.

Check out the EDM thread. Plenty of good stuff there. Also, there's some good modern Dubstep with plenty of sub-bass. It's not all bad...

EDIT: As for sub-bass...This will destroy (almost) any Dubstep track out there (modern or otherwise). Most of the bass in this song is well below 45hz or so.

Quote:

Oldschool dubstep! :D i thought i was the only one that knows what dubstep is lol but yes, modern mainstream dubstep doesnt not freakin have the amount of sub bass it used to have, modern dubstep is weak and cheesy

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #4,504 of 6,432
Quote:

Oldschool dubstep! :D i thought i was the only one that knows what dubstep is lol but yes, modern mainstream dubstep doesnt not freakin have the amount of sub bass it used to have, modern dubstep is weak and cheesy

Thank you for pointing this out.  Another great track to indulge on... Burial - Kindred.  It's off his new EP, so if you enjoy it, you'll more than likely get a kick out of his previously released albums.  I personally enjoy listening to "light" dubstep like this while working, especially after being exposed to the ridiculous trigger montage the new wave of "derpstep" is bringing to the plate.

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #4,505 of 6,432
Thank you for pointing this out.  Another great track to indulge on... Burial - Kindred.  It's off his new EP, so if you enjoy it, you'll more than likely get a kick out of his previously released albums.  I personally enjoy listening to "light" dubstep like this while working, especially after being exposed to the ridiculous trigger montage the new wave of "derpstep" is bringing to the plate.

Kindred is pretty different sound wise from his other releases. I could see someone not liking one or the other.

I love Burial though.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #4,506 of 6,432
im confused. everytime i get someone who calls me an idiot for buying expensive headphones, i let them try mine on and they say "it sounds the same"

i let them try either M-audio Q40 or Klipshc Image s4

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #4,507 of 6,432
Quote:
im confused. everytime i get someone who calls me an idiot for buying expensive headphones, i let them try mine on and they say "it sounds the same"

i let them try either M-audio Q40 or Klipshc Image s4

Right! I let this girl in my class try my ATH-M50s  *AND* my Superlux HD 681s. She said they sounded just like her JVC earbuds. That made me die a bit inside.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #4,509 of 6,432
Quote:
Right! I let this girl in my class try my ATH-M50s  *AND* my Superlux HD 681s. She said they sounded just like her JVC earbuds. That made me die a bit inside.

I would had just said to her that she tone deaf. For the reason she couldn't tell. Tho you have to be ready to duck down when she goes to smack you for the comment.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #4,510 of 6,432
Quote:
You're not special. :wink: Plenty of 'real' Dubstep fans on the boards.

Check out the EDM thread. Plenty of good stuff there. Also, there's some good modern Dubstep with plenty of sub-bass. It's not all bad...

EDIT: As for sub-bass...This will destroy (almost) any Dubstep track out there (modern or otherwise). Most of the bass in this song is well below 45hz or so.

Wow, this song is fantastic, it reminds me a lot of Massive Attack!

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #4,511 of 6,432
JLE does amazing work, but this song is one of my all time favorites. The original is fantastic and this remix is fantastic.

It's been my bass test (depth) for a looooooong time. It's actually kind of funny...I recently bought a pair of QSC K12s. Tons of bass from those, and they're PA speakers so most music sounds like it doesn't need a sub...but when I play that song you can't hear anything below the initial kicks. It just goes so low...

Quote:

Wow, this song is fantastic, it reminds me a lot of Massive Attack!

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4,514 of 6,432
Trying to stay on topic, but a few other good bass test songs are Techmaster PEB's Bassgasm and Massive Attack's Angel. PEB's music is mediocre but it goes deep. Another one you have to have good extension or a subwoofer for to actually hear the bulk of the song.

On topic: I'm hoping to get my HD800s on my new roomies soon to see what they think. Surprised I haven't forced them into the listening chair already.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #4,515 of 6,432
Quote:
Trying to stay on topic, but a few other good bass test songs are Techmaster PEB's Bassgasm and Massive Attack's Angel. PEB's music is mediocre but it goes deep. Another one you have to have good extension or a subwoofer for to actually hear the bulk of the song.

On topic: I'm hoping to get my HD800s on my new roomies soon to see what they think. Surprised I haven't forced them into the listening chair already.

Yeah there is a thread for good music for personal benchmarking of headphones (I actually have it open in another tab right now) (http://www.head-fi.org/t/142023/songs-that-make-your-headphone-wooooow/1800)

And in trying to keep it on topic as well, people always stare at me funny for having my ATH-A700s, due to the sheer size of the cans. Then they put them on, and forget they are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back