Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
May 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #4,413 of 6,432
I had one of my most interesting reaction the other day.  I had a friend try on my Edition 8 headphones that were feed with v200 amp actually as shown in my signature minus the Zana Deux.  He said they sounded muffled to him...?  I then l plugged in my HD800s, he said that was a little better.  The only thing i can think is that he has lost much of his high freq hearing, he is younger than me but still upper 40's.  I must admit i was pretty surprised, i was expecting him to have more of an omg moment.

May 22, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #4,416 of 6,432
Coworker came down yesterday and had a listen to the HD600 through the Bottlehead Crack. After an "Oh wow." He immediately started taking notes on what programs and plugins I had, what music it was, and which headphones... I think we have a convert. 

May 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4,418 of 6,432
Please, let the new audiophiles decide for themselves if they want esoteric gear, do not full them to think that it actually sounds better (looking at whoever is using a DAC &/or amp and doesn't need it (most audiophiles))

May 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #4,419 of 6,432
He liked what he heard - I made no recommendations aside from letting him listen to what I was listening to.

I hardly think a budget dac + amp qualifies as esoteric. 

May 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #4,421 of 6,432
Quote:
"I had a friend try on my Edition 8 headphones that were feed with v200 amp actually as shown in my signature minus the Zana Deux.  He said they sounded muffled to him..."

I'm 19, and wear earplugs in my car because I think it is too loud. I also use ear protection when I'm around others using loud things, popping popcorn, and mowing the lawn. I don't think I have high frequency hearing loss, and if I were to objectify the sound of an Edition 8 based on what I thought of them during the minute I listened at CanJam 2010, I would say the object they make me think of is...

...a mushroom. Perhaps they were not positioned perfectly for the Ultrasone effect to work properly (S-Logic as it's called I believe?) but it's not a sound signature I care for.

May 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #4,422 of 6,432
Quote:
Someone looked at my HD800s at work recently and told me I should get Bose.  

They deserve a slap.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #4,424 of 6,432
Hello, I have a very high-end system (as source Naim 555 + 2 555 PS power supply, WA22 as second headphone ampli and Senn HD 800 as haedphone), Recently a very old friend of mine (he taught me my first steps on learning to play guitar way back in the '80s!) came to my home to listen to my audio system and after listening to a couple of Neil Young's old songs, suddenly he look at the door: he had heard a sound in his left ear and he thought he was someone at my room's door waiting for us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back